Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

dvi to hdmi

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2015, 11:02 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default dvi to hdmi

guys i have a 9600gt nvidia card with 2 dvi outputs. i want to get a hdmi converter so i can take a digital signal to my tv. i have kodi installed on my pc and currently connected to my telly through the pc port on the tv. whilst this setup works fine and i can watch kodi content on my tv there is a problem watching 3d content. there is a few 3d channels but my tv doesnt seem to recognise them through the pc connection. im guessing this is a limitation of the pc connector so im thinking if i feed it into the tv through an hdmi connection it will recognise it and proccess it properly? i usually plug in an external hard drive through usb and they play back perfectly and also through a media streamer plugged in through one of the hdmi ports and this also works perfectly. what do you think?
Old 18 December 2015, 11:47 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a dvi to hdmi adapter for £1.50 from ebay that will do the job ( not sure on the 3d though), it just wont carry the audio signal as hdmi normally would.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-Male-t...8AAOSw3xJVZj9L
Old 19 December 2015, 12:05 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shoud change tv with android on board and install kodi on tv.
Not sure but for 3d You probably need 120hz signal from pc than You need dual dvi adapter but what i found hdmi do not support 120hz signal.
Old 19 December 2015, 12:43 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

hdmi does support 120 hz as i said i usually plug a hard drive with 3d rips on, its the display that needs to support 120 hz. i have a 50" 3d plasma so i have no desire to upgrade just now. i just think the pc connection of the tv doesnt recognise the 3d content as it comes from the dvi port (digital) but goes to the pc connection on the tv (d-sub) which im guessing is analog?
Old 19 December 2015, 02:30 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
hdmi does support 120 hz as i said i usually plug a hard drive with 3d rips on, its the display that needs to support 120 hz. i have a 50" 3d plasma so i have no desire to upgrade just now. i just think the pc connection of the tv doesnt recognise the 3d content as it comes from the dvi port (digital) but goes to the pc connection on the tv (d-sub) which im guessing is analog?
Just get sbs 3D films and tell the tv it's 3D sbs
Old 19 December 2015, 03:47 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

i already do that. kodi streams them straight from the net but the tv doesnt recognize them as sbs or half ou like it does when i plug in my hard drive or streamer through hdmi. im thinking its because its through the pc d-sub connection on the tv.
Old 19 December 2015, 09:38 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure You owe 3d tv which has 120hz panel otherwise it could be dumb question.
hdmi do not support 120hz signal in 3d within 1080p just shy 30hz
You need dual dvi to hdmi cable or adapter to work from pc but Your nvidia card has to send 120hz signal to tv and check tv resolution for 3d .
Usually it is 580-600p
do you plug hdd to tv via hdmi or usb?im lost here
is it pc or laptop?i know You wrote pc just when most laptops have intel hd graphic on board there is no posibility to use second card to send 120hz to tv.
Old 19 December 2015, 01:47 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

i plug an external hard drive through usb. your comment about hdmi is strange as my 3d blu ray player obviously transmits the signal over hdmi to the tv no problem? when i upgraded to 3d i just reused the hdmi cables i already had as its all bull about needing 3d specific cables mine all work fine and none were 3d specific. why does my graphic card need to send 120hz? my external hard drive works perfect for 3d rips and it isnt 120hz? i can get the picture to the tv it just wont convert to 3d when you press the 3d button on the tv remote it stays as half sbs like its not recognised as a 3d signal. which is why i think its a limitation of the d-sub pc type connector on the tv. its a tower system not laptop btw.