Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tell me about internet protocol phones, please?

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2015, 09:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tell me about internet protocol phones, please?

Sick and tired of giving Virgin £17 a month for "line rental", then paying on top of that for phone calls. Been renting my line now for 14 years, no rebates, no offers, nowt.

In France, my phone plugs into my router, I have the same phone number I've always had, no line rental, AND NO PHONE CHARGES TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, 24/7/365!!!!!!!.
Anyone any idea how I can do the same here, please, I'm sick of giving money to that toothy b@stard! For nowt.
Old 17 November 2015, 12:06 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of VOIP providers out there. Voipfone have quite a good reputation. https://www.voipfone.co.uk/

I believe you can sign up for free. They will then allocate you a unique phone number starting with 056. However, for £24 you can port your existing phone number over to them (if your phone provider support that).

You could then buy a VOIP phone, plug it in to your router and configure it to talk to Voipfone. Calls are not free though. See the pricing section on their website. I don't think there's a monthly line rental though.

You'll have to buy an IP phone and pay £24 to port your number (if you want to) so you will start off down by about £100 already. It will take a few months of saving the £17 line rental to recoup that cost.
Old 17 November 2015, 10:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Where do I buy an IP phone? Won't my own phones plug in via an adaptor? That's how it works in France.
Old 18 November 2015, 08:28 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Sick and tired of giving Virgin £17 a month for "line rental", then paying on top of that for phone calls. Been renting my line now for 14 years, no rebates, no offers, nowt.

In France, my phone plugs into my router, I have the same phone number I've always had, no line rental, AND NO PHONE CHARGES TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, 24/7/365!!!!!!!.
Anyone any idea how I can do the same here, please, I'm sick of giving money to that toothy b@stard! For nowt.
Doh, just noticed you're complaining about land line, well I ll leave the details below

At that price you should have unlimited calls. I have Virgin unlimited calls data and texts for £11 per month. It's an old legacy tariff but I'm sure you can unlimited calls for less than £17

There are loads. You can get deals lower than £10, cos we know you're tight
http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk/ne...als/#contracts

Last edited by andy97; 18 November 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 18 November 2015, 09:35 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i have to say Alka, get a three phone, ok its more brass but works everywhere Free.

I went to spain all internet and calls were free came out of my unlimited tariff.
I went to the USA Guess what ? Free again amazing this Home tariff stuff....

three were ****e in the beginning but i wouldn't go anywhere else now... been great for me.
Old 18 November 2015, 01:45 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Where do I buy an IP phone? Won't my own phones plug in via an adaptor? That's how it works in France.
You'd need something like one of these:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/prod...co-smb-spa112/

Plugs into a spare RJ45 LAN port on your main router (or switch or hub), and allows you to plug ordinary phones into it.