Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

APPLE TV Gen 4

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2015, 09:41 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default APPLE TV Gen 4

Well i got my 32 Gig one yesterday and installed it.
Bit of a ballache activating it you need your mobile close or Ipad with Bluetooth is then uses that to set it up through a series of questions. There is a manual process for all you guys on android.

Interface wise its kinda the same but less clutter, you install what you ant this time, PLEX works fine i bought simple X first which is the same, but PLEX came out 3 hours after id spent 2.49 LOL and its perfect in every way.

Apple Music works fine also

Games are pretty cool Mr Crab kids love as it was good on Ipad, i suppose time will tell.

Overall for Plex alone its great, although most of my Movies are in ITunes anyway now.

If i could fault it anywhere it would be the Movies VIA shared ITunes still diplay as a List , the advert shows them choosing movies via Siri and yes that does work fine, but its touch and go if it goes to your Library or ITunes store for you to buy it.

I would much prefer the ITunes stores View of my films than a list
Old 06 November 2015, 12:07 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 64GB one for a few days. PlexConnect still works on it, if you wished to use that over the official Plex app for some reason. Plex app does seem to work well. One thing I had forgot was to go into the audio options and set it from Auto to Dolby Surround. If you don't do that then it seems to not pick up a AC3 5.1 track as Dolby Digital 5.1 and my amp reports it as Multi Channel PCM 7.1. Non AC3 5.1 stuff sounded really weird with that setting.
Once I'd changed it, DD was fine and anything 2 channel sounded ok too.

I have found a couple of bugs, e.g.; text entry screen isn't the new horizontal one, sometimes the old box like one. also seen the new one displayed off centre. I've also seen weirdness with the DNS entry option. Seemed to retain a previous address I'd entered when changing from auto to manual.

There's a beta of tvOS out, so I may, if I can be bothered to a) get a USB C cable, and b) install the thing, see if that makes any difference

Netflix still works, but it's using the same kind of interface as the Xbox One, and I've got to say I don't like the new look, just personal taste I guess.
Old 09 November 2015, 03:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought one yesterday & not set it up yet. But the freakiest thing for me was walking into the store, picking one up, finding an Apple person, paying via Apple Pay on my Watch, then wandered around a bit more then walked back out the door with it in my hand - didn't pay extra for a bag.

No-one batted an eyelid just hope their security was on the ball...
Old 10 November 2015, 01:01 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hehe..
Old 11 November 2015, 10:54 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Set it up last night. As Littleted said but I found it quick/simple as Apple usually is. Downloaded a couple of Apps (there aren't many yet?) but fortunately don't need Netflix as that is on my Smart TV's remote. I presume there will be more Apps out soon. Apple Music works well, so no longer have to Airplay it
Old 14 November 2015, 12:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More apps are appearing on a daily, sometimes hourly basis. Some might be region locked, for example, HBO GO. I had to sign in with my US AppleID to get the Trailers app, plus PBS apps, as they aren't available in Canada.