Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apples Watch and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2015, 11:27 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Wrong window, you need to eat more burgers.

Anyhow, in other news owners are very happy. http://time.com/3964275/apple-watch-satisfaction/
Old 22 July 2015, 09:01 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

where's jack today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31012410

surprised he's not all over this like a cheap hooker,,,, hahahaha
Old 22 July 2015, 09:12 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Shares down again !
Old 22 July 2015, 09:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
where's jack today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31012410

surprised he's not all over this like a cheap hooker,,,, hahahaha
It's all a bit obvious to most of us.
Old 22 July 2015, 09:16 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

ah there you are lol

Interesting how they have made massive profits but sales figures are still lower than samsung
Old 22 July 2015, 02:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

ah there you are lol

Interesting how they have made massive profits but sales figures are still lower than samsung
Do you think that might have something to do with the 10p disposable phones Samsung make or maybe something to do with their massive marketing budget.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

It is simply staggering that apple has been able to con the world into subconsciously believing they NEED to spend 800quid on a mobile phone in order to fit in
Old 22 July 2015, 03:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Do you think that might have something to do with the 10p disposable phones Samsung make or maybe something to do with their massive marketing budget.
I would put it more down to stupid people paying daft amount of markup profit on the iphones and too busy lapping up the marketing BS apple do to realise they are being ripped off,,,,,,,,,,,

Go on Jack, say it,,,,,,,
Old 22 July 2015, 04:07 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You stick with your 10p phones and I'll stick with my reassuringly expensive products.
Old 22 July 2015, 04:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You stick with your 10p phones and I'll stick with my reassuringly overpriced products.
EFA
Old 22 July 2015, 06:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

£2500 for a Laptop probably does seem overpriced to some people, but to me it's an investment in good service, reliability, consistency, security and longevity. Still sounds nuts I'm sure, but my time is expensive and I've spent none of it making sure my work tools work. If you think you can replicate that service on a Windows PC then you're living in dreamland. My Laptop is five years old and is still a fantastic device, my iMac is seven years old and again a fantastic device. Reassuringly expensive.
Old 22 July 2015, 06:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

And the top spec Macbook is now cheaper than I paid, bargain.
Old 23 July 2015, 09:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/b...20150723100361
Old 23 July 2015, 09:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I think Jack managed to order a macburger with it once as well , till someone shouted at him for holding up the queue
Old 23 July 2015, 10:07 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

£2500 for a Laptop probably does seem overpriced to some people, but to me it's an investment in good service, reliability, consistency, security and longevity. Still sounds nuts I'm sure, but my time is expensive and I've spent none of it making sure my work tools work. If you think you can replicate that service on a Windows PC then you're living in dreamland. My Laptop is five years old and is still a fantastic device, my iMac is seven years old and again a fantastic device. Reassuringly expensive.
fpmsl, so you actualy like being ripped off lol
Old 23 July 2015, 03:25 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

If you think you can replicate that service on a Windows PC then you're living in dreamland.
I'm calling you on that - a good quality Windows-based system can easily have an equivalent lifespan. I'm not disputing you need to spend equivalent money to get a quality item - something like a Lenovo Thinkpad comes to mind - but it is perfectly possible.
Old 23 July 2015, 03:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
I'm calling you on that - a good quality Windows-based system can easily have an equivalent lifespan. I'm not disputing you need to spend equivalent money to get a quality item - something like a Lenovo Thinkpad comes to mind - but it is perfectly possible.
I beg to differ, but my whole rig cost me under £1500 o is well under the macpro price.

Laptops you could look at alienware
Old 23 July 2015, 04:19 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought a v3 Apple TV off a well known Scoobynetter, connected it up, joined Wifi and it just works. Can't complain about that. Sitting here listening to Apple Radio from my iPhone through the TV soundsystem and controlled by my Watch... Its also great for extending the desktop from my (works) Mac Air.

Not a total fanboy and I don't particularly like the Mac OS but it generally just works as does connectivity without the need for driver issues. Need a PC for new responsibilities at work but going to have that as a secondary and keep the Air for usual desktop stuff.
Old 23 July 2015, 04:23 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I beg to differ, but my whole rig cost me under £1500 o is well under the macpro price.

Laptops you could look at alienware
I'm referring to laptops only here; comparing desktop systems to laptops isn't reasonable. As for Alienware, the kit is in my opinion overpriced for what it really is; a mid-grade Dell in a fancy suit. The specs are often curious, with too much spend going into the CPU vs GPU.

All joking aside, Apple systems are very well built - and there is a value in a system that will be largely trouble-free and reliable for an extended period of time. To achieve this requires an above-average level of quality in almost all areas - chassis, design, components, etc. There is IMO a noticeable and marked difference in quality between consumer and business class laptops. Apple's "problem" is that what is ostensibly a consumer market device is produced to business grade standards, and so compares poorly in the priceerformance ratio to true consumer grade systems. This is because they don't have different products for different markets in the same way, and to be fair, they don't have to.

My point is that this quality isn't exclusive to Apple, and Lenovo especially have a well-deserved reputation for producing physically robust and reliable business grade systems that will operate similarly trouble-free for many years.
Old 23 July 2015, 04:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm still running a Sony Vaio I bought nearly 7 years ago now - perfectly reliable though it wasn't designed for Win7 (u/graded from Vista) and I sometimes have a display driver issue running on battery but otherwise

(Perhaps Win10 might help?!)
Old 23 July 2015, 07:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Excellent. I would love to see it, but suspect you would have spent a fair amount of time and expertise keeping it running. Let's imagine we both had boxed models, who's going to have a better time after switching it on, I know mine would be one button press to fully up to date.
Old 27 July 2015, 09:32 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

You're moving the goal posts there and now putting conditions on being able to meet your claim; either it's not possible, as you claimed, or it is, and your claim was spurious. Which is it?

Excellent. I would love to see it, but suspect you would have spent a fair amount of time and expertise keeping it running.
Not especially - not these days. W7 is inherently 'stable', and doesn't really fall over unless the hardware is faulty or undesirable software is installed; these are things that can affect any system regardless of OS/manufacturer. It's easier to end up with a broken/damaged Windows system, that is undeniable, but that doesn't mean it's either impossible to mess up OSX in the same way, nor does it mean it's impossible to avoid a broken system even with limited technical ability.

Let's imagine we both had boxed models, who's going to have a better time after switching it on, I know mine would be one button press to fully up to date.
Of course - it's the advantage of total control of all aspects of the platform. However having just gone through this with a new Lenovo laptop for my Dad just this weekend, it's very light touch to get set up on a Windows system these days - I had little to do other than log in with his MS account, install Office, and connect Outlook to O365.
Old 27 July 2015, 10:02 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We got about 18 months out of our Windows laptops before we had to bin them; multiple times.
Our MacBook Pros are slower now but still totally useable after five years...
Old 27 July 2015, 10:29 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
We got about 18 months out of our Windows laptops before we had to bin them; multiple times.
Our MacBook Pros are slower now but still totally useable after five years...
The fact you're happy to get rid after 18 months indicates to me that the Windows machines were far cheaper to buy in the first place. This links back to what I was saying about business grade systems vs consumer grade.
Old 27 July 2015, 10:50 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The fact you're happy to get rid after 18 months indicates to me that the Windows machines were far cheaper to buy in the first place. This links back to what I was saying about business grade systems vs consumer grade.
Well ours were always fairly high end Toshibas (and one Lenovo). These were for work; we never scrimp on work kit as failures cost far more than a bit of pointless penny pinching.
Old 27 July 2015, 11:00 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

18months? wtf, were you eating your dinner off them?
Old 27 July 2015, 11:02 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
18months? wtf, were you eating your dinner off them?
Nope, just using them - a lot.
Old 27 July 2015, 12:12 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

So why would you have to bin them, what was wrong with them? Sounds like user error to me.

I have some old Lenovo and Dell lappies at work that are 4-5yrs old and are still perfectly adequate for the job.
Old 27 July 2015, 01:54 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my 500 quid Toshiba laptop in 2009.....still goes ok. Not the fatest to start up but is perfectly fine for what I need it for.
Old 12 August 2015, 07:05 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

pmsl

Quick Reply: Apples Watch and stuff