Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Faulty lan adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2015, 03:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Faulty lan adapter

Our Viera is not doing skype of late. ( says connection problem)

Also not iplayer I noticed

Do wireless adapters "wear out ".?

The software seems be up to date on tv, and download seems to be 15 mbs measured off laptop

Thanks
Old 08 March 2015, 08:06 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

No, not really. Controller chips do very occasionally fail, but when they do they usually stop working completely, rather than dying a slow death with progressively worsening performance. The obvious things to check are whether you see the Viera listed in the connected devices on your router, also go into the TV's network settings and try to disconnect/reconnect from there, or google for instructions on how to go into the engineering menu (for the TV) and run a diag check .
Old 08 March 2015, 08:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say the older generation ones do yes. I've had a couple fail before, old netgear ones, they used to get very hot and eventually refused to connect to anything.
Old 08 March 2015, 08:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mmm, I was talking to my brother about this the othe day (I value his opinion quite highly)

And he said that wireless adapters (I think the OP states it is wireless) have a oscillating crystal in them - remember this is what gives the adapter the GHZ rating

And this is analogous to a moving part (that you would not find in a traditional 802.3 LAN adapter)

The inference was that they do wear out

The performance of the wireless adaptor in this IPAD has defiantly deteriorated over time

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 08 March 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08 March 2015, 11:14 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Mmm, I was talking to my brother about this the othe day (I value his opinion quite highly)

And he said that wireless adapters (I think the OP states it is wireless) have a oscillating crystal in them - remember this is what gives the adapter the GHZ rating

And this is analogous to a moving part (that you would not find in a traditional 802.3 LAN adapter)

The inference was that they do wear out

The performance of the wireless adaptor in this IPAD has defiantly deteriorated over time
I can believe that their oscillating crystals might slowly lose their accuracy over time (if they even have their own, rather than simply taking a reference from one of the many crystals sure to already be present on the host bus), and that the resulting slight mismatch in frequency between the adapter and the router might cause connection issues, but I'd find it highly spurious that these crystals fail altogether. In any case, the OP will have no way of knowing for sure without doing some basic process of elimination troubleshooting.
Old 08 March 2015, 11:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I need to try connecting the tv straight to router ( bt homehub) with ethernet cable i guess

iv been into menu and its clearly connected to router , but the reception has been 1 bar out of 5 , sometimes 2 , occasionally 3 - im not actually sure it hasnt always been the same mind ( the router is only 15 feet away through pasterboard)

i have realised my bluray has built in wifi meantime, and can plug skype camera into that ...so ill try that i guess

cheers

Last edited by dpb; 08 March 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09 March 2015, 10:38 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just check neighbours haven't fired up some new router which is casuing the issue, change the channel etc.. but yeah hardwire it. tell wife your chopping out a channel in the chimney LOL