Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Trojan Horse

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2002, 09:48 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have recently installed Nortons personal Firewall 2002 and allready have Nortons Anti Virus ( both with live update)

I now keep getting a trojan horse warning which the firwall blocks

can I remove this trojan horse and if so how?

Phil
Old 03 June 2002, 09:53 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

i dont think it's a trojan virus trying to get into your PC. to check your PC for trojan or spyware, have a look at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and install ad-aware.

you might wanna goto www.pcflank.com and www.grc.com to check how good your firewall setting is.
Old 03 June 2002, 11:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Phil,

what is the actual firewall message? Is it actually a BLOCK rather than a simple log? Your PC can (legally) use the same port as a potential trojan without it being a problem. If you do have a trojan, i would have thought that your AV software would have spotted it (especially if your firewall already has)?

It is probably best not to post your IP address (for security reasons), but let us know what the so-called trojan is called.

mb
Old 03 June 2002, 11:13 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Smile

Actually READ the message

and its blocking an attempt from another IP address

I will cut and past the next message

Phil
Old 03 June 2002, 11:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Phil,

if it is incoming then it is probably some ****** who is _trying_ to connect to a trojan *if* it is on your PC. Recently i have had loads of incoming "ms-sql-s" attempts due to the latest virus.

Your Norton log (click the green globe, then Options\Personal Firewall) will let you know what has been happening.

mb
Old 03 June 2002, 11:59 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

it's best to install ad-aware (anti torjan/spyware) which will check for trojan and spyware. they could have been in your PC before you install norton anti-virus and the firewall.

please note that certain anti-virus software dont check for trojan or spyware (coz they are not virus!).
Old 04 June 2002, 11:38 AM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

It should be possible to switch off the visual warnings without removing the protection provided by the Firewall.

I have NFW2001 and this does allows the visual warning to be disabled but I do get a warning written to the firewalls log file so that I can see who has tried to access my machine.

I only have a dial-up connection but so far this morning someone at the Davao Medical School Foundation in the Philippines has tried to access my machine and a user on blueyonder.co.uk has also had a go.

Though these could be trojans attempting the spread themselves to new machines(due to lax security at these sites), great this internet thing . Soon everyone will need to be a firewall master to keep there machine safe.

Nigel