Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Should I get her machine polished?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2009, 10:45 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get her machine polished?

I had the wheels refurbed recently, painted the calipers, gave her a wash and polish today, she's looking quite smart (DBM Classic Wagon - no pics as was beginning to get dark when I finished the polishing) but I'm not really into detailing so it's not a perfect job.

I'd love her to look her best, she's getting on for 10 years old now.

Should I treat her to a full valet and machine polish?

Any downsides to a machine polish?

Interested in your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 06 July 2009, 07:50 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'd personally give someone like Polished Bliss a ring, explain you're not really **** about the cleaning lark and tell them your budget. See what can be done.

But usually,
  • a good wash with the 2 bucket method and a decent wash mitt
  • a good quality polish for every so many months when correction is needed
  • and a respectable wax/sealent
...will do a respectable job. Only thing is, if you want an excellent finish you'll either pay someone well to maintain it for you or you'll have to shell out for a lot of kit.

Is definitely a slippery slope though, I found this out with my old red Scoob...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/S6300049.jpg
and now my current 205GTi...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...S6300711-1.jpg
Old 07 July 2009, 12:14 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

If you really love the car, plan to keep it for at least a few years to come and really want it brought back up as well as possible then a full correction detail is well worth considering, as done well it will return the bodywork to excellent condition. As long as the work is done properly and to a very high standard, there is little in the way of any obvious downside. However, note that working standards vary a lot in the valeting/detailing industry, so it is worth seeking out a detailer with a well established reputation for producing excellent work. If you confirm roughly where you live we should be able to point you towards a reputable detailer, and I'm sure some of the others on here will be able to help in this way too.
Old 07 July 2009, 05:20 PM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
If you really love the car, plan to keep it for at least a few years to come and really want it brought back up as well as possible then a full correction detail is well worth considering, as done well it will return the bodywork to excellent condition. As long as the work is done properly and to a very high standard, there is little in the way of any obvious downside. However, note that working standards vary a lot in the valeting/detailing industry, so it is worth seeking out a detailer with a well established reputation for producing excellent work. If you confirm roughly where you live we should be able to point you towards a reputable detailer, and I'm sure some of the others on here will be able to help in this way too.
Thanks.

I'm in the Tunbridge Wells area. Sadly a little too far away from AB51 0TH!!!

I'm guessing the guy who advertises machine polishing, stone chip touch ups and bumper scuff repairs on a board leaning up against the wall in a local village may not be the place to go!? Never know, he may have a quality workshop!
Old 07 July 2009, 05:52 PM
jonnyfirepants
Scooby Regular

just had my black 03 wrx done. full paintwork correction. (Gtr manchester area)

the car was looking scruffy, to much damage by the previous owner from automatic car washes. was'nt cheap but looks fantastic now, showroom condition
well worth it

back in love with her again now.
Old 23 July 2009, 11:30 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ads78
Thanks.

I'm in the Tunbridge Wells area. Sadly a little too far away from AB51 0TH!!!

I'm guessing the guy who advertises machine polishing, stone chip touch ups and bumper scuff repairs on a board leaning up against the wall in a local village may not be the place to go!? Never know, he may have a quality workshop!
Lol, probably best avoided! The nearest people to you I know and trust are Paul at Shine On Auto Detailing in Surrey (Professional Car Detailing : Shine On Auto Detailing), James at Auto Finesse in London (Auto Finesse Detailing) and Kelly at KDSKeltec in Kent (http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/).

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 23 July 2009 at 11:32 AM.