Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

PB Shopping List help!?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2008, 05:37 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile PB Shopping List help!?

I have decided that i need to move away from the Sponge, leather and Autogleam Products and try some of what everyone raves about...

My question is what should I buy?! there is so much choice on the site...

Basically what do I need to clean / polish the car, my list so far is:

Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt - To wash car with 2 bucket method?
Poorboys Waffle Weave Towel - To dry car in place of a leather?
Lake Country German Applicator Pad - To apply polish?
Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel - To remove polish?

My car is a Blue 05 WRX so what polish should i use? and why / should i apply a polish and then some sort of wax/sealant? I dont fancy using one of those clay bar things... i do have 1 slight mark on the bonnet from some bird crap which i may be able to remove when i become more confident?

Also i have a large container of Turtle Wax car shampoo/wax that i have been using for ages - is it ok to continue with this as the shampoo?

any help appriciated as I need to place an order for me and friend who just bought a 54plate Blue WRX, so 2 of each i imagine!

cheers

Leon
Old 02 June 2008, 01:26 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Tbh mate it's all about trying new products that you find
work better. All of the recommendations are pretty much just a guide
to what is a good base for getting into the car care lark.

Your list looks fine up till now. If polishing by hand use Menzerna Intensive Polish, wax wise the Poor Boy's 'Blue' wax is excellent value for money. To remove the wax use the Deluxe Mega Towels. If you are solely applying polish by hand then I'd consider buying a Glaze also, as this will help to mask the finer swirls and the like. Don't be put off by Autoglym they do make some good products it's just that the market is alot wider than people initially think.
For interior, get Poorboys Natural Look Dressing, and for under the bonnet some Meg's Super Degreaser with some 303 Aerospace. Blackfire Tyre Gel works wonders on the outer plastics aswell as the tyres (so I've heard, still need to order mine). You can go on all day with the products mate but this little lot will get you going.
If I ever find I forgot something, the local Halfords have usually got a decent
substitute until I order from PB again Don't forget your local supermarket for things like cheapie mf cloths and scooshie bottles (when you want to dilute you degreaser down for example).
Craig.
Old 03 June 2008, 11:19 AM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by craig79
Tbh mate it's all about trying new products that you find
work better. All of the recommendations are pretty much just a guide
to what is a good base for getting into the car care lark.

Your list looks fine up till now. If polishing by hand use Menzerna Intensive Polish, wax wise the Poor Boy's 'Blue' wax is excellent value for money. To remove the wax use the Deluxe Mega Towels. If you are solely applying polish by hand then I'd consider buying a Glaze also, as this will help to mask the finer swirls and the like. Don't be put off by Autoglym they do make some good products it's just that the market is alot wider than people initially think.
For interior, get Poorboys Natural Look Dressing, and for under the bonnet some Meg's Super Degreaser with some 303 Aerospace. Blackfire Tyre Gel works wonders on the outer plastics aswell as the tyres (so I've heard, still need to order mine). You can go on all day with the products mate but this little lot will get you going.
If I ever find I forgot something, the local Halfords have usually got a decent
substitute until I order from PB again Don't forget your local supermarket for things like cheapie mf cloths and scooshie bottles (when you want to dilute you degreaser down for example).
Craig.
Some good advice there

Bare in mind that cheap tesco mf's etc should be kept for wheels/interior etc as they are not as good quality as the Poorboys ones and will inflict marring into your paintowork after a few uses.

I woukld strongly advise claying your car, if you dont then its a waste of time polishing and waxing/sealing it in my opinion. It is perfectly safe and very easy to do - just read the guide on how to clay on the PB website

There are various threads from people with the same colour scoob as yourself that have posted their results in here so maybe have a look at them and see what takes your fancy product wise?

Clark
Old 03 June 2008, 12:41 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the advice :-)

Poor Boy's 'Blue' wax has been added to my list along with the Degreaser and
Blackfire Tyre Gel. I can see this getting expensive!

Maybe I will also take the plunge and get some clay! I suppose i can see the point that you would be polishing and sealing over dirt that the clay bar would remove?

I have been reading the guides and they are very usefull, thats prob whats inspired me to get all this stuff! I just wish it would stop raining and getting my car dirty!!
Old 03 June 2008, 01:20 PM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

The clay will make applying and buffing off of products much easier too, not to mention the difference in the appearance of the paintwork
Old 03 June 2008, 03:30 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clark@Polishedbliss
Some good advice there

Bare in mind that cheap tesco mf's etc should be kept for wheels/interior etc as they are not as good quality as the Poorboys ones and will inflict marring into your paintowork after a few uses.
I woukld strongly advise claying your car, if you dont then its a waste of time polishing and waxing/sealing it in my opinion. It is perfectly safe and very easy to do - just read the guide on how to clay on the PB website

There are various threads from people with the same colour scoob as yourself that have posted their results in here so maybe have a look at them and see what takes your fancy product wise?

Clark
Totally agree clark, meant to mention that. I only ever use the Tesco
ones for any grubby work such as wheels / under bonnet / interior in gereral etc
Craig.
Old 03 June 2008, 03:32 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Look on the Bilt Hamber web site mate, they have a very good clay
called 'Auto Clay'. It can be used with water alone as a lube,
plus there's about double the amount compared to the Meg's bar
Craig.
Old 12 June 2008, 11:45 AM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craig79
Look on the Bilt Hamber web site mate, they have a very good clay
called 'Auto Clay'. It can be used with water alone as a lube,
plus there's about double the amount compared to the Meg's bar
Craig.
cheers il have a look at that one :-) I thought my paintwork was actually in good condition and under the lights the other night at the shell garage i noticed lots of swirls!