Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Advice on New car

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2008, 12:55 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on New car

Unfortunately not a Scoob.......... We'll have to wait till the house build is completed and see what pennies are left over

Anyway, I have on order a new shape Mazda 6 estate in Galaxy Grey Mica. Now I appreciate it's not a Scoob, but can anyone advise as to what Polish I should use on a brand new car??

Do I need to treat it differently to a car that is 6-12 months old? I seem to recall that for some reason you can't use the same types of Polish on a brand new car as you can a car that has settled / been weathered etc............ or is that just some old scare mongerers tale .

Basically I want to ensure that the car looks the best it can. It will be washed weekly and topped up with polish etc every couple of months. It will also be doing high miles per year, approx 25,000 plus so it's not a show car but a workhorse but by the same token I still want to look after it.

I have seen the care care guides above, and I assume Galaxy Grey would be classed as a dark colour - its a dark graphite sort of colour.

Link provided for those of you that may be interested in what the car and colour combo looks like

Mazda 6 Estate Car Review - Auto Trader UK - Features - News and Reviews Hub

Like I say no Scoob but a fairly decent looking workhorse .

Any advice greatfully accepeted.

Cheers

GB
Old 19 March 2008, 06:48 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gingerboy
Do I need to treat it differently to a car that is 6-12 months old? I seem to recall that for some reason you can't use the same types of Polish on a brand new car as you can a car that has settled / been weathered etc............ or is that just some old scare mongerers tale .
Sort of - as cars age they acquire more and more sub-surface defects and oxidation, so in general new cars only need light polishes, while older cars often need more agressive polishes to cut back the paint more. With reference to your car...

Mazda paint is incredibly soft compared to other marques, so it is important that the products you use are very easy on and off, otherwise you will induce marring which will ultimately lead to the appearance of swirl marks in full sun conditions. Here is a routine and list of products that I would recommend for keeping your car in tip top condition. ..

Wash (ideally every week)

Basic Car Wash Kit £34.85 - Basic Car Wash Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits

Clay (once or twice a year, spring and autumn are the best times)

Meguiars Quik Clay £11.95 - Meguiars Quik Clay - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Polish (after claying, thus done once or twice a year)

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, applied using the white side of an Ultimate German Applicator Pad, and buffed off using Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish £13.95 - Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish - Blackfire Car Care and Detailing Products
Lake Country German Applicator Pad £2.95 - Lake Country German Applicator Pad - Lake Country Car Care and Detailing Products
Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel £3.95 - Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel - Poorboys Car Care and Detailing Products

Protect (apply a fresh coat every 6-8 weeks)

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection £21.95 - Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - Blackfire Car Care and Detailing Products

This product gives a highly reflective wet looking shine and is very easy to put on and take off (apply using the red side of a Lake Country German Applicator Pad and buff off using Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels). If you want to take the look of the car further, you could optionally finish with our Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax, which is very easy to use, and which will give even more wetness and gloss. However, because of the high carnauba content, it is pricey, and thus optional...

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax £39.95 - Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax - Blackfire Car Care and Detailing Products

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions please fire away, I'm always happy to help.

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 19 March 2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:02 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Brilliant stuff

As soon as I have a definite delivery date it looks like their will be an order winging it's way to you.

Many thanks for all your help!

Regards

GB