Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

BEST PRODUCTS TO BRING PAINT BACK TO LIFE???

Old 17 February 2008, 08:44 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BEST PRODUCTS TO BRING PAINT BACK TO LIFE???

Hi folks,

I own a 03 bug eye mica red wrx.
The paint work is not bad but it has some stone chips on various places and light scratch marks.

This kind if thing REALLY annoys me!!
When iu look at some of the photos of the scoobys on here i wonder how they get cars(even older than mine0 to have the paint work looking so good.

I was wondering if you folks could suggest any products to help bring the best out of my paint.

Any way of taking light scratches out of glass?

ps: my car was diamond brite'd so i dont think i can use polish?

cheers folks again
Old 17 February 2008, 09:21 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

In answer to ya question about older cars probably because a few are second cars like mine an ya tend to end up spending more time polishing them than driving em but true.

Mine scoobymad/my car - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

couldnt say what to use dont know anything about diamondbrite.
Old 17 February 2008, 10:01 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

aye actually very good point!! cheers
Old 17 February 2008, 10:02 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

that car is so clean
what products do u use?
Old 17 February 2008, 10:23 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Its had allsorts to be fair and lots of em (see car care on subaru-impreza.org)I generally dont tend to stick to one manufacturers product like some do -At the moment (and my favourites do change all the time as i try different stuff )sonus sfx2 and sfx 3 polishes followed by blackfire wet diamond all finish paint protection(sealant if ya like)finished off with collinite 915 wax.

If anything changes will be the wax-pretty happy with the others/wax is ok but would like to try and better the finish (oh and occasionally use meguiars showcar glaze before wax)

Before anyone asks cars had a load of different products on it but never a polisher-just me
Old 18 February 2008, 01:07 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It sounds to me like your paint needs a thorough cleanse and polish... the cleanse to remove bonded surface contaminants like tar, fallout, etc, and the polish to remove the visible sub-surface defects, i.e the scratches. Four year old paint should be easy enough to restore to a high standard, although you may need a machine polisher to help with the polishing stage. Here is some more info for you...

Cleanse

To thoroughly cleanse your paint you would be wise to combine a two stage process. The first stage (after washing normally) would be to use a tar and glue remover to remove all traces of tar and tree sap, etc, from the paint. The second stage would be to use a clay bar to remove all other types of bonded contamination, such as industrial fallout, etc, ahead of the polishing work. Here is a guide to cleansing your paint using a clay bar...

Car Care Advice - How to clean your paint in preparation for polishing or protection

...and recommended products are...

Autosmart Tardis - Autosmart Car Care and Detailing Products

Meguiars Quik Clay - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Polish

To correct the sub-surface defects in your paint you are going to have to polish it. Please see this in depth guide to polishing Subaru paint for a lot of advice and tips whether working by hand or machine...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...d-machine.html

The only extra thing to comment on is the repair of the stone chips. If you have widespread peppering on the front end and along the lower sides then in all honesty a respray is the only thing that is going to yield a satisfactory improvement, as trying to fill and flatten hundreds of tiny chips makes for a long tedious task and rarely gives good results. However, if you only have a few larger, random stone chips, then touching in with colour matched paint and then flattening the dome of new paint can deliver great results. This technique is quite advanced though, and only really suitable for those with the confidence to use a machine polisher (this is because you flatten the fresh paint with wetsanding paper, and have to then polish out the saning haze with the machine).

I hope that adds to the help offered by dave above, if you want more in depth advice please feel free to call us for a chat on 0845 4540017.
Old 19 February 2008, 12:30 AM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

thank you very much