Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Soft top cleaning / protection

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 06:52 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top cleaning / protection

Hi all looking for some advice from all you pros again. My sister has just received her new car a BMW z4 which has a few nasty scratches that’s another story and I think I will be getting the PC on it rather than getting BMW to fix it. I was wondering if any of you had tips for keeping the soft top clean. Any products that you would recommend to use would be great.

Thanks all
Old 14 September 2007, 02:29 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 14 September 2007, 04:55 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

We use Zymol products for general hood care. We start by cleaning the fabric using Zymol Fabrique, which you activate by mixing with sparkling water in a mixing bottle. This is sprayed on, and the product then goes to work dissolving and lifting grime. After a few mins, we use waffle weave towels to pat dry the fabric, taking the mucky foam away. After allowing to dry naturally, we then mist the fabric with Field Glaze, and work it in thoroughly with our bare hands. This encourages the product to seep into the fabric, thus adding water repellency. It also leaves a nice factory looking finish. Good alternatives if the Zymol route is too dear or not to your liking would be the convertible hood kits by 303 that Motorgeek sell, or the BMW kit sold by most BMW dealers.
Old 14 September 2007, 07:05 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

ok thanks 4 that info mate think if it had been my car i would invest in the Zymol products as i no they are very good but 4 what my sister wants prob look at getting the 303 stuff. she would think i was 100% mad to see me working products into the car with my hands, save that kind of love for the scooby.....

have you used any of the BMW stuff that they sell give away with there cars. Used the cockpit cleaner on the Scooby good god it was bad and came out leaving white marks, after that it all went in the bin or used for cleaning the quad just about good enough..
Old 21 September 2007, 07:54 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

No, but some of our customers have used the soft top kits and say they are good... and knowing these people, they wouldn't accept something that was not up to the job! However, the 303 might be a safer bet, as it's more widely used and always seems to get good feedback (we are going to test it over the winter with a view to stocking it next year as an alternative to the Zymol option).
Old 22 September 2007, 02:14 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

thanks PB