Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Buying a new 535d M sport in Jet or Carbon black, need help with car care

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 12:33 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 535d M sport in Jet or Carbon black, need help with car care

Hi guys and particularly guys such as PB and Sticky Mickey. I am in the process of putting a new order in for the car above and am in two minds of which of the two colours to go for.

Now the dreading thing about it is keeping the car in as good condition as possible. I hate it when every week I wash the car i find a new hairline scratch on the car.

What would you guys recommend in terms of washing shapoos, polishes and other equipment.

So far the only thing i have which i can trust is my Karcher pressure washer. Other than that can you guys direct me as to what other stuff I need to get.

Cheers
Old 12 September 2007, 11:15 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if this was me i'd get the following:

2 good lambswool wash mitts (one for the lower part of the car and one for the rest)
2 buckets
2 grit guards
good wheel brush
megs wheel brightner
poorboys wheel sealant
megs hyper wash
foam lance attachment for your karcher
microfibre drying towels for door shuts etc
leaf blower to dry the car
megs quick clay and speed detailer or last touch as lube
menzerna intensive polish & german applicator pads (if applying by machine get the final finish polish too to refine the finish even more)
good thick microfibre towels to take off the residue
being black i'd go for a wax to finish with to give that great wet look. something like zymol carbon or creame. If you want something cheaper then the Poorboys Nattys blue is great when spit shined and layered. to get extra protection i'd get hold of a top coat product that can be layered over the wax. something like mothers reflections advanced top coat.
Old 14 September 2007, 03:50 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The wash method is the critical thing to get right, as 99% of defects arise from the scouring effect of washing grime off of the paint. Here are the bits you should get for safe and effective washing...

1. Auto-Brite Foam Lance to fit your Karcher (Autobrite Direct - Because Looks Are Everything!)
2. Meguiars Hyper Wash (for use in foam lance)
3. 2 large buckets, with grit guards if you like (not essential)
4. Meguiars Shampoo Plus
5. 2 x Lambswool Wash Mitts (as Matt says above)
6. 1 x Microfibre Wash Mitt (for wheels)
7. Menzerna Gel 7.5 (for cleaning wheels each week; BMWs create lots of brake dust)
8. Meguiars Ultra Safe Wheel Spoke Brush (unless you can easily fit your hands between the spokes)
1 x Waffle Weave Drying Towel

...then use in conjunction with this advice for best results and minimum risk of inflicting defects - Polished Bliss - Car Care Advice - How to wash and dry your car safely and effectively

For regular protection and maintenance, simply add a fresh coat of wax or sealant protection every 4-6 weeks after a wash. Good products to use on solid and metallic black paint are listed and demonstrated in the stickied guides at the top of the car care section; see these links...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...-finishes.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...lid-black.html

In the long run, no matter how careful you are, you will pick up a little light wash marring. To remove it easily and effectively, I would recommend using a very light finishing polish on the car every 6-12 months; something like Menzerna 85RD applied using a finishing pad on a Porter Cable (PC) or Ultimate Detailing Machine (UDM) dual action polisher. The UDM is due to be released in the UK in October, and is set to be a great tool. We have tried a prototype and it rocked, even on hard BMW paint, so in time it will be well worth you checking this side of things out further, once we have the tool in stock.

Old 14 September 2007, 11:26 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
The wash method is the critical thing to get right, as 99% of defects arise from the scouring effect of washing grime off of the paint. Here are the bits you should get for safe and effective washing...

1. Auto-Brite Foam Lance to fit your Karcher (Autobrite Direct - Because Looks Are Everything!)
2. Meguiars Hyper Wash (for use in foam lance)
3. 2 large buckets, with grit guards if you like (not essential)
4. Meguiars Shampoo Plus
5. 2 x Lambswool Wash Mitts (as Matt says above)
6. 1 x Microfibre Wash Mitt (for wheels)
7. Menzerna Gel 7.5 (for cleaning wheels each week; BMWs create lots of brake dust)
8. Meguiars Ultra Safe Wheel Spoke Brush (unless you can easily fit your hands between the spokes)
1 x Waffle Weave Drying Towel

...then use in conjunction with this advice for best results and minimum risk of inflicting defects - Polished Bliss - Car Care Advice - How to wash and dry your car safely and effectively

For regular protection and maintenance, simply add a fresh coat of wax or sealant protection every 4-6 weeks after a wash. Good products to use on solid and metallic black paint are listed and demonstrated in the stickied guides at the top of the car care section; see these links...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...-finishes.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...lid-black.html

In the long run, no matter how careful you are, you will pick up a little light wash marring. To remove it easily and effectively, I would recommend using a very light finishing polish on the car every 6-12 months; something like Menzerna 85RD applied using a finishing pad on a Porter Cable (PC) or Ultimate Detailing Machine (UDM) dual action polisher. The UDM is due to be released in the UK in October, and is set to be a great tool. We have tried a prototype and it rocked, even on hard BMW paint, so in time it will be well worth you checking this side of things out further, once we have the tool in stock.

Wow what a reply, thank you very much matey. All I can say is "I cant wait to get the car delivered".

Also, regarding the Foam Lance, would I need to get the adaptor also?
Old 21 September 2007, 07:58 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

No, just buy the foam lance designed for the Karcher, as it comes with the adaptor fitted - any doubts speak with Mark at Auto-Brite before buying and he'll keep you straight.
Old 22 September 2007, 12:15 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
No, just buy the foam lance designed for the Karcher, as it comes with the adaptor fitted - any doubts speak with Mark at Auto-Brite before buying and he'll keep you straight.
Cool,

Btw I bought the little George. Had a very mucky 1998 Passat parked outside my house which is basically used for all the thrashing around work. Used some stuff a friend of mine give me for the interior. Sprayed it on, then used a sponge to soak the particular areas with the shampoo/foamy water. Used a scrubber on tough stained areas and then used the George to dry. Checked today and it felt a little damp which is obvious but overal an excellent outcome. Car looks as good as new now
Old 25 September 2007, 02:39 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Cool, nice one!