Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Basic Starter Products

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2007, 06:24 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Starter Products

Hello,

Can someone recommend me a list of products to do a very basic detail (wash/clay/polish/wax I think is the right order!).
I will be using handraulic power only at first so must be suitable for the old elbow grease

Looking to spend around £80 - £100.

Thanks
Old 11 September 2007, 06:33 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

New to this myself mate.
I started with megs clay n quick detailer
tech wash
tech wax etc
pretty cheap products and good results
https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...detailing.html
Old 11 September 2007, 07:40 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Polished Bliss is the place to look mate all the products he sells are the best on the market and are the products that he uses every day
Old 11 September 2007, 08:55 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slippery slope my friend!

they way i would go would be to go for:

megs hyper wash or poorboys super slick n suds,

megs quick clay and detailer - great starter clay.

polish wise i'd go for menzerna intensive polish and apply with a german applicator pad,

then a wax or acrylic lsp will depend on what colour car you have and if you want sharp reflections or wet looking paint?

don't forget to factor in costs for a good washmitt, drying towel, 2 buckets, grit guards and a decent drying towel. if you're not going for these bits then imo it's not worth getting the rest as you'll be messing up all the effort you've put in.

the other option is to get someone to detail the car for you and then maintain it with the mitt, 2 bucket method etc.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:15 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Your car looks mint mate - fantastic effort.

Originally Posted by simonbb1328
New to this myself mate.
I started with megs clay n quick detailer
tech wash
tech wax etc
pretty cheap products and good results
https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...detailing.html
Old 11 September 2007, 09:16 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response. The car is cashmere yellow. Being such a light colour it suffers from tar spots and squashed bugs show up nicely - would the poorboys wash sort that or is that what the clay is for?

Originally Posted by mneame
slippery slope my friend!

they way i would go would be to go for:

megs hyper wash or poorboys super slick n suds,

megs quick clay and detailer - great starter clay.

polish wise i'd go for menzerna intensive polish and apply with a german applicator pad,

then a wax or acrylic lsp will depend on what colour car you have and if you want sharp reflections or wet looking paint?

don't forget to factor in costs for a good washmitt, drying towel, 2 buckets, grit guards and a decent drying towel. if you're not going for these bits then imo it's not worth getting the rest as you'll be messing up all the effort you've put in.

the other option is to get someone to detail the car for you and then maintain it with the mitt, 2 bucket method etc.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:19 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, took ages lol but worth it, as per the other replys there are alot of products out there, have a look at the advice from polished bliss at the top for different products for different colours.
Megs was the first products I used but as soon as I can afford Im gonna place an order with polished bliss and try different products they advice and see if I can get a better finish
Old 11 September 2007, 09:23 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

the clay will help but also prepares surface for polish n wax etc,
The first time i used it I had already washed my car and couldnt believe how much more muck the clay bar removed, considering its a 2007 model.
The megs hyper wash and a lambswool mit work a treat, also if you have a foam lance you can give the car a good covering with some chemical guys maxi suds and leave for 5, this helps alot. If not you can get a gilmour foam gun for about £50 that connects straight to hosepipe, there are some cheaper ones tho
Old 11 September 2007, 09:50 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daveo
Thanks for the response. The car is cashmere yellow. Being such a light colour it suffers from tar spots and squashed bugs show up nicely - would the poorboys wash sort that or is that what the clay is for?
personally i'd add something like poorboys bug squash or some sort of bug and tar remover into your kit. will make claying easier. but only use this each time you are going to clay as it'll strip the protection from your paint.

once you've built up a good few layers of lsp (last stage product) it will get easier to keep clean. have you got a pressure washer? if yes buy a foam lance as you'll be able to apply the megs hyper wash in a nice thick foam layer. this will loosen the bugs each time you wash the car. you foam the car and then leave to soak for 10 mins.

you only need to clay every 6 months or so not every time you detail it. the clay will remove all layers of protection that you've put on.

as for wax or acrylic, mmm i'd go for the acrylic. i like the menzerna one step acrylic jacket.

Last edited by V4JDMSTi; 11 September 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:31 AM
iSCOOB
Scooby Regular

Dont forget a good wheel cleaning brush and some wheel sealant. No point having a shiney car and mucky wheels
Old 12 September 2007, 10:21 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

very good point. the megs wheel brush is superb and go for the poorboys wheel sealant. or i use my zymol creame wax a lot of the time. bit expensive for use on wheels though lol. but it does give a superb finish.
Old 14 September 2007, 03:59 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

For Cashmere Yellow, and for around £100, I would go with either...

Wash (ideally every week)

Basic Wash Kit £34.85 - Basic Wash Kit

Clay (once or twice a year, spring and autumn are the best times - use to remove tar spots and brake dust)

Meguiars Quik Clay £10.95 - Meguiars Quik Clay

Polish (after claying, thus only done once or twice a year)

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, applied using the white side of a German Applicator Pad, and buffed off using Deluxe Mega Towels

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish £13.95 - Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
German Applicator Pad £2.55 - Ultimate German Applicator Pad
Deluxe Mega Towel £3.95 - Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towel

Protect (apply a fresh coat every 4-6 weeks)

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection £21.95 - Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
German Applicator Pad £2.55 - Ultimate German Applicator Pad
Deluxe Mega Towel £3.95 - Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towel

This product gives a great wet looking shine, and is very easy to put on and take off (apply using the red side of a German Applicator Pad, buff off using Deluxe Mega Towels).

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 14 September 2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 14 September 2007, 04:15 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

or...

Wash (ideally every week)

Basic Wash Kit £34.85 - Basic Wash Kit

Clay (once or twice a year, spring and autumn are the best times - use to remove tar spots and brake dust)

Meguiars Quik Clay £10.95 - Meguiars Quik Clay

Polish/Protect (apply basecoat after claying, top up spray wax every 4-6 weeks)

Jeffs Werkstatt Carnauba Kit £46.95 - JEFFS Werkstatt Carnauba Kit

The Jeffs Werkstatt Carnauba Kit is a sealant-based system that looks great on solid colours like red and yellow, and offers terrific durability. The kit also comes with all the necessary applicator pads and buffing towels. The Prime Carnauba basecoat is a deep paint cleanser that also lays down a tough initial coat of protection; you should use it once every six months after claying (it serves as a light finishing polish to further cleanse the paint). Carnauba Jett is a pure spray wax that should be used to add more gloss and durable protection every 4-6 weeks; the more layers you build up, the better the finish will get. The Carnuaba Glos is a quick detailer, and can be used to boost gloss and lubricate when drying off after washing, and to loosen the residues of Prime and Jett if you find them hard to remove.