Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2007, 04:29 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo 2000

Ok, I know it's not a Subaru, but I thought this detail may appeal to the nostalgic readers out there.

I was honoured to be able to detail a 26 year old Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo 2000 a couple of weeks back.

The owner was own Nick Rowntree he asked me to do a full detail with paint correction on this special motor.

Nick had only just recently taken the car out of it's storage bubble having been stored for 3 years (Yes 3 years).
He had driven it a few times before the day of the detail.

Here's some before pics:

The car was first treated to a pre wash with with Einszett Anti insect and pre cleaner and left to soak for 3 mins and then rinsed off.
The wheels were then sprayed with Megs Wheel Brightener,and the inside rim agitated with an Attle and OXO spoke brush and then washed with a microfibre mitt.

The wheels were then rinsed.
The whole car was then treated to a Pre foam wash to remove the loose dirt and grit that had accumlated on the body surface during
it's 3 year sleep and from the few times it had been driven recently (SSF and TFR). This was left
to soak for 3 mins and then rinsed off.
The body and wheels (Again) were then washed using a lambswool mitt and the 2 bucket method.
Thew whole vehicle was then rinsed and dried with a Poorboys Waffle weave towel.

The pre foam treatment:

Any large bits of tar were then removed with tar remover and the paint surface was then
subjected to some Sonus Ultra fine clay treatment as I felt the contaminents on the paint surface
weren't too major. Last touch Quick detailer was used as Lube.

Next onto checking the paint.. firstly I checked the paint thickness across the whole car.
Everything was in order as was to be expected with only a few slightly below readings
which I was carefull around.

The swirls:

The car taped and prepared ready for polishing:

Paint correction:
Before:

After:

A 50/50 on the door which brings to light the painbt correction is not only removing the swirls but bringing the cream paint back to white again:

Paint correction was carried out using various combinations as the single stage paint was being very stubborn and soaked everything I put to it.
I guess after 3 years of not being polished it wanted nourishing some way.
Anyway a comination of Meguiars Cut & polish pad and Menzerna IP 85RD3.02./ Power Gloss / PO106F|F & then followed by PO85RD all on the Metabo proved to work out in the end.
I found the paint to be quite hard for a Japanese car so had to make a few passes over each panel.
I chose to opt for Blackfire Wet diamond all finish paint protection, applied using a finishing pad on the PC.
Having never applied the blackfire range to a white car before I thought it gave outstanding results.
It gave a really deep glossy shine.
I then followed this up with a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond Ivory Paste Wax, which really made the white paint really glossy.
A fantastic finish was achieved, I recon approx 90% correction was achieved on the day. The only defect's left were the odd really deep scratch.

The interior was then degreased, and dressed using Jeff Werkstatts Satin Protec and the carpets and mats were vacuumed.

The rest of the car was treated to the following:
Trim - Poorboys Trim restorer.
Tyres - Pre-soak with Hyper dressing followed by Autoglyms Tyre dressing.
Arch trim - Pre-soaked and then re applied Megs Hyper Dressing,
Glass - AG glass polish
Wheels - Chemical Guys Wheel Sealant

Total time for detail 12 hours.

And here's the finished shots:

Thanks for looking
Craig
Old 05 September 2007, 07:50 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thats a sweet looking 'evo to zero' there. Great work Craig
Old 05 September 2007, 10:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

That is one ugly car but fantastic at the same time.

Very good results also. Any pics of the interior ?
Old 07 September 2007, 07:31 PM
midas303
Scooby Regular

And to think when I was driving round in my Metro turbo and XR3I they were the mutts if you could afford one.
Old 07 September 2007, 08:43 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Brilliant. Great car, great write up, cracking results. You're now firmly in our list of approved detailers Craig, and hopefully you've seen/will be seeing plenty of referrals from us. Hope things are going well, certainly should be given the quality of work you're doing.
Old 08 September 2007, 03:26 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rich, much appreciated
Old 11 September 2007, 11:25 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, stunning results Craig. very cool retro car too. don;t see many of them about.