Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Paint removal

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2006, 01:02 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint removal

Help needed please . Just washed the scoob and found loads of green spots all over the rear three quarters ! Looked over the fence to next doors garden and lo and behold green shed and fence . I'm guessing that his overspray has coated my car so was wondering what is the best way to get this paint off . Would white spirit harm my paint ? Thanks Nigel .
Old 24 September 2006, 01:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

depends on what the paint is

go over there and ask him what kind of paint it is, this will

1. allow you to find out what type it is so you can remove it safely
2. shame him into knowing he is a retard
Old 24 September 2006, 01:23 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

Tried going round , nobody in . Wanted to get it done while the weathers good.
Old 24 September 2006, 01:32 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

white spirit is worth a try it shouldnt harm your paintwork, hope it comes off with this, otherwise Mr Numpty will be stumping up for a respray, good luck mate, let us know how you get on
Old 24 September 2006, 09:09 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

You could also try a clay bar fella,you can get a Meg quick detailer with the clay from halfords for around twelve quid.
Detailers use them to remove over spray etc.....if you do use this make sure you spray plenty of lube so that the clay wont stick to the car.
Old 24 September 2006, 10:38 PM
s5ooob
Scooby Regular

Just had similar problem, my car was covered with fine specs of yellow paint from work.

Last weekend I tried Tcut and polish, neither helped, a bodyshop friend suggested I would need to use thinners [carefully] and if that didn't work flat the entire car with 1200 wet/dry and re-polish I tried the thinners and feared the worst when they didn't touch the specs of paint, then yesterday I decided to give Meguiars Quick Clay a go, what a result

The clay completely removed all trace of paint from the bodywork and was so effortless to use. I'm sure this will have no problem removing the paint on your car - my car is black and I couldn't get over the fantastic finish it gave. I will never bother again with abrasive cutters/polish , I'll just use this and a decent protective wax
Old 25 September 2006, 03:13 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Yep, clay on all overspray problems, whether auto paint or garden paint and varnishes, it works on all. We did an Audi TT a coupl eof weeks ago that was covered in brown wood stain, thanks to some muppet spraying it on a windy day. Every panel was covered in hardened resin dots, and it took 4 hours to lcay the whole car. BUT - it worked a treat, and is kind to the paint.
Old 25 September 2006, 07:26 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

PB will white spirit do any harm to the paint ??? my dads got paint all over his new BMW 530 have used clay bar but its very hard to get it all off, he was using white spirit before i stoped him and it was working very well is it safe??
Old 27 September 2006, 02:48 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It's something I would recommend, but on older fully cured paint it probably does no harm, it's just not good practice. However, on soft paint fresh from the factory I wouldn't be so sure. Your call I'm afraid. I can only advice in my professional capacity to persit with the clay bar. BUT, if it puts your mind at rest, some of the tar & glue removers are stronger than white spirit, and again are fine on older paint (but do make fresh paint actually run!). If you continue with the white spirit, do a degreasing wash afterwards to make sure all the residue is removed.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:23 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

ok thanks
Old 30 September 2006, 01:47 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the tips , used white spirit and gave the car a wax . Just given it a wash and noticed loads of bits I missed . I think I'll give the clay bar a whirl if the weathers good tomorrow . Do you get everything you need in the pack from halfrauds? I went to see the neighbour and he was very apologetic and offered to come round to give me a hand , I refused politely after looking at the paintwork on his mondeo. I think he washes it with a brillo pad .
Old 30 September 2006, 10:29 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Yep, provided it's the Meguiars Quik Clay you'll get both the clay bar and the lubricant.