Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Brand new car Question....

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2006, 03:34 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new car Question....

When is ok to wash and polish a new car?

Do you have to wait a few weeks? (something to do with the new paint because i seem to remember hearing it somewhere!)

Cheers
Old 20 March 2006, 03:59 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to wait before washing it, in fact, better to do it regularly straight from the off - just make sure you use good products (lambswool mitt, good quality shampoo, waffle weave drying towel) and good techniques (two bucket method, a foam gun if possible) - guides on my site if you want to know more. As for 'polishing', it shouldn't need it, as it's new and the paint will be defect free. However, you will want to protect it by adding a layer or two of either a wax or sealant. These products give different looks, so you might also want to read the guide to chossing and applying wax or sealant protection on my site before deciding which way to go. I'm favouring sealants these days as they give a terrifically reflective look that turns heads, and they last longer than natural waxes. There is some truth in what you've heard about new cars - if you seal the paint with wax/sealant or silicone-based products before the paint has fully cured it will remain soft for it's life, making it more susceptile to damage. However, curing takes anything from 30-90 days, and most cars sit around for months in yards before being delivered to the showroom, so more often than not it's safe to seal the paint straight away. Just ask the dealer to confirm the date the car left the factory and add 90 days to be safe.