Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Thread moving actioned by users

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2007, 05:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread moving actioned by users

The mods do a pretty good job of moving threads to the correct sections when they are posted in the incorrect section, but some threads do get missed, possibly due to misleading titles, thus the thread would need to be read by the mod or reported by a user before it's moved to another location, until that point it remains in a possibly incorrect location.

My thought for a new feature would be to have a "request move" button on the first post of a thread. If someone spots the thread in the wrong section they can click the button and a move request will be issued. This could cause a screen to be displayed asking for a reason for the move and/or presenting a pop-up menu of the forum listings so a user can select where they think the thread should be moved to.

Much like the instant ban feature, this would require more than one user to submit a request for the thread to be moved, and obviously the location for the move would need to match in multiple requests.

Once the required number of users requesting a move has been met and providing the new location of the thread matches, the thread is automatically moved.

The idea here is that it could aid the mod team as users are going to read more threads than the mods, and thus if they think it's in the wrong place, they'll request a move, and that'll happen automatically.
Old 18 October 2007, 10:05 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything that empowers the members is good as far as I'm concerned.

We have to balance up what's most important though, based on the resources available. So putting this great idea into practice would require that there was a big need for it, over and above other requirements.

Basically, if there is a big problem this will be solving, we'll make it a higher priority.

I suspect there isn't actually a big problem, but if you think I'm wrong on that, please let me know.

Cheers

Simon
Old 27 October 2007, 02:19 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Well it gets my vote if that helps.
Old 27 October 2007, 03:27 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd like to see it too.