Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Lukers or "guests" - are there too many?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2004, 08:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Exclamation Lurkers or "guests" - are there too many?

Noticed today that there was something like 1300+ people viewing Scoobynet!

...of which about 950 were "Guests" !! (and an astonishing 800 odd in the Gallery - presumably the Jesse thread, which is nice )

At these times I have noticed big delays in server response, a few other have passed the same comments. So I presume it's due to the workload caused by the above. Can this be confirmed as the case?

What are the thoughts of SDB/Shaun on this...is this a good thing or not - in terms of advertising audience or a detriment to the registered users and plus members who actually post on here?

If it is seen to be a problem would there be any considerations given to make certain forums viewable to registered users?

Regards

AL

Should this be in Feature Requests or Policy I'll let you lot can work it out

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 September 2004 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Lurkers not luker...Use the fooooork Luker ;)
Old 23 October 2004, 12:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ali

It's due to load.

"Is it good or bad for advertising".
I guess it's partially good in that the more views of ads we get the more compelling a proposition it is to more advertisers. But we don't earn more money if there are more visitors, and especially peak load, means very little.

Forums only viewable by reg members. Not somethign I really want to do to be honest, and the slow downs are not a regular thing, so shouldn't be a big deal.

cheers

Simon