Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

An API story

Old 23 December 2018, 11:23 PM
  #151  
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: milk n beans
Posts: 577
Default

Originally Posted by stevie1982 View Post
Bloody hell, sounds like a nightmare. Is David still there or has this been passed on to new management? I'll keep TDR in mind if I need any work done but I'm based in Bracknell now so do you know of anyone you can recommend a.little closer to me
RM Performance at Banbury 👍
scoobypaul_temp is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 01:14 PM
  #152  
burns
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bridgnorth with the Steam trains
Posts: 690
Default

I am the original poster of this thread, back in 2007. Due to various things happening in my life I haven’t been on here much over the past few years, but I have always stuck by API and sent it to them when I damaged my original engine. It was rebuilt and the car returned with a brand new 6 speed gearbox and new electronic diff. I was not happy with the engine (using oil) or the mapping ( too linear). At this time David bowed out of the company and Simon took over the business and moved to Long Itchington. Simon agreed to have my car back and sort out the issues, as I had known him for years this was great. My personal issues then put my Impreza to the back of my mind and with only the occasional call to Simon left him to repair my car at his own pace, which by then had become a plan to do all the bodywork to bring it up to a high standard.
Last Thursday morning I received a letter from a company asking to be paid for painting my engine bay?.
I came on here and then found out what Simon has done. I am “lucky” as the painter wanted to be paid for his work and wouldn’t let Simon take it away. I went down on Friday morning and saw my once beautiful Impreza virtually stripped. The entire engine bay is empty, not even a bolt. The wings, bumpers have been removed, my alcatek has gone, the rear seats have gone, and it’s a **** tip.
I have now found his other victims and one has shown me a picture of my f’ing engine in his car. I have known Simon for over 13 years and still can’t believe he would do this to his customers. But he has.
I am now left with the ****ty job of trying to work out what to do, sell what’s left, finish the bodywork and paint and sell it or go the whole hog and try to rebuild my car.
Ok lads let’s hear what you reckon, please feel free to insult Simon, but helpful suggestions would be appreciated 🙏
burns is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 01:36 PM
  #153  
wrx2005
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: manchester
Posts: 234
Default

Originally Posted by burns View Post
I am the original poster of this thread, back in 2007. Due to various things happening in my life I haven’t been on here much over the past few years, but I have always stuck by API and sent it to them when I damaged my original engine. It was rebuilt and the car returned with a brand new 6 speed gearbox and new electronic diff. I was not happy with the engine (using oil) or the mapping ( too linear). At this time David bowed out of the company and Simon took over the business and moved to Long Itchington. Simon agreed to have my car back and sort out the issues, as I had known him for years this was great. My personal issues then put my Impreza to the back of my mind and with only the occasional call to Simon left him to repair my car at his own pace, which by then had become a plan to do all the bodywork to bring it up to a high standard.
Last Thursday morning I received a letter from a company asking to be paid for painting my engine bay?.
I came on here and then found out what Simon has done. I am “lucky” as the painter wanted to be paid for his work and wouldn’t let Simon take it away. I went down on Friday morning and saw my once beautiful Impreza virtually stripped. The entire engine bay is empty, not even a bolt. The wings, bumpers have been removed, my alcatek has gone, the rear seats have gone, and it’s a **** tip.
I have now found his other victims and one has shown me a picture of my f’ing engine in his car. I have known Simon for over 13 years and still can’t believe he would do this to his customers. But he has.
I am now left with the ****ty job of trying to work out what to do, sell what’s left, finish the bodywork and paint and sell it or go the whole hog and try to rebuild my car.
Ok lads let’s hear what you reckon, please feel free to insult Simon, but helpful suggestions would be appreciated 🙏
I'd pop around to his house and ask him about your issues.
stay calm and if no explanation is forthcoming I'd pursue it legally.
He has technically stolen your engine,I hope you have a paper trail from when you left the car.
wrx2005 is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 02:40 PM
  #154  
**jay**
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
**jay**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: scotland
Posts: 2,329
Default

Originally Posted by burns View Post
I am the original poster of this thread, back in 2007. Due to various things happening in my life I haven’t been on here much over the past few years, but I have always stuck by API and sent it to them when I damaged my original engine. It was rebuilt and the car returned with a brand new 6 speed gearbox and new electronic diff. I was not happy with the engine (using oil) or the mapping ( too linear). At this time David bowed out of the company and Simon took over the business and moved to Long Itchington. Simon agreed to have my car back and sort out the issues, as I had known him for years this was great. My personal issues then put my Impreza to the back of my mind and with only the occasional call to Simon left him to repair my car at his own pace, which by then had become a plan to do all the bodywork to bring it up to a high standard.
Last Thursday morning I received a letter from a company asking to be paid for painting my engine bay?.
I came on here and then found out what Simon has done. I am “lucky” as the painter wanted to be paid for his work and wouldn’t let Simon take it away. I went down on Friday morning and saw my once beautiful Impreza virtually stripped. The entire engine bay is empty, not even a bolt. The wings, bumpers have been removed, my alcatek has gone, the rear seats have gone, and it’s a **** tip.
I have now found his other victims and one has shown me a picture of my f’ing engine in his car. I have known Simon for over 13 years and still can’t believe he would do this to his customers. But he has.
I am now left with the ****ty job of trying to work out what to do, sell what’s left, finish the bodywork and paint and sell it or go the whole hog and try to rebuild my car.
Ok lads let’s hear what you reckon, please feel free to insult Simon, but helpful suggestions would be appreciated 🙏
Sorry i can't give you much advice(id smash his face in) what a disgusting way to treat a customer i hope you can get something sorted out with this mess
**jay** is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 02:59 PM
  #155  
Pete
WRX STI TYPE RA V6/1557..
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 4,131
Default

Burns, I’m so really sorry to hear / read this my friend, as our chats via pm I had my suspicions it’d be the outcome. My advice as much as you probably want to is, DON’T get smashing his face in becuase that’ll do you no good only get you in trouble. This needs to be done professionally and hopefully you and the others will get a good outcome. If you need a chat pm I’ll get my number over to you.

Pete
Pete is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 05:37 PM
  #156  
sweden
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: across the water
Posts: 415
Default

Christ I know ive been away for a few years but glad a read this thread all the way through was actually thinking about contacting them for a complete engine build, who are people using now a days then, it used to be the clinic or david if I remember right.
sweden is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 05:39 PM
  #157  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,204
Default

Originally Posted by sweden View Post
Christ I know ive been away for a few years but glad a read this thread all the way through was actually thinking about contacting them for a complete engine build, who are people using now a days then, it used to be the clinic or david if I remember right.
thwaites
engine tuner
rcm
scoobyclinic
subaru4you
as performance
the shreksta is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 08:28 PM
  #158  
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RAGGY DOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Avoid bob Rawle
Posts: 2,754
Default

Over to his house fella and fill him in
RAGGY DOO is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 09:31 PM
  #159  
rickybobby
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Scunthorpe
Posts: 360
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
thwaites
engine tuner
rcm
scoobyclinic
subaru4you
as performance
Richard at Zen and Richard Henry to add to that list
rickybobby is offline  
Old 10 March 2019, 10:51 PM
  #160  
burns
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bridgnorth with the Steam trains
Posts: 690
Default

Weirdly I still want to get my car back, but the thought of having to find every nut and bolt etc in my engine bay is daunting

Last edited by burns; 10 March 2019 at 10:56 PM.
burns is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 02:39 AM
  #161  
bighead
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
bighead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,988
Default

Originally Posted by burns View Post
Weirdly I still want to get my car back, but the thought of having to find every nut and bolt etc in my engine bay is daunting
i really feel for you ...sadly too many of these stories are happening now with well respected tuners...my P1 was in Prosport (major tuning ) for the best part of 5 years , but I never had a doubt that I get my car back .
In 2016 it was at Cotton.com for nearly a year, and just last year it was again at Cotton.com for over 6 months ...but never in doubt that i'll get the car back ...choose your tuner wisely !

Last edited by bighead; 11 March 2019 at 02:44 AM.
bighead is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 06:05 AM
  #162  
Pete
WRX STI TYPE RA V6/1557..
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 4,131
Default

That’s just shocking to see
Pete is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 08:56 AM
  #163  
burns
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bridgnorth with the Steam trains
Posts: 690
Default

Tell me about it and I'm better off than the other guys who have lost even their cars. I've got a base to work from, if I get time later I'll start ringing round to get some quotes.
burns is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 09:52 AM
  #164  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Decent Engine Builders

Thwaites (TDR)
Engine Tuner (Alan Jeffery)
RCM
Scoobyclinic
Subaru4you
AS performance
Richard at Zen
Richard Henry
Paul Finch @ Finch Motorsport

List Updated.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 09:53 AM
  #165  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

And Burns, really sorry to hear about your issues.

To sell your property (engine) to another customer is a criminal act. This needs to be pursued through the Police.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 11:24 AM
  #166  
burns
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bridgnorth with the Steam trains
Posts: 690
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
And Burns, really sorry to hear about your issues.

To sell your property (engine) to another customer is a criminal act. This needs to be pursued through the Police.
It will be
burns is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 01:17 PM
  #167  
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (48)
 
Dave Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Forest of Dean
Posts: 4,732
Default

Reminds of that fella in Ledbury.
Scooby projects if I remember correctly.
Dave Y is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 02:09 PM
  #168  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,204
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
And Burns, really sorry to hear about your issues.

To sell your property (engine) to another customer is a criminal act. This needs to be pursued through the Police.
Its **** all to do with the police, this will have to be sorted through the courts. Only way the plod get involved will be if there is a breach of the peace.
the shreksta is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 02:10 PM
  #169  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,204
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Decent Engine Builders

Thwaites (TDR)
Engine Tuner (Alan Jeffery)
RCM
Scoobyclinic
Subaru4you
AS performance
Richard at Zen
Richard Henry
Paul Finch @ Finch Motorsport

List Updated.
Ah yes forgot about finch motorsport, probably about the best out there and a truly nice guy aswell.
the shreksta is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 02:50 PM
  #170  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
Its **** all to do with the police, this will have to be sorted through the courts. Only way the plod get involved will be if there is a breach of the peace.
He may need to go to the Police to report it and get a crime number to be able to push anything forward. Technically it's theft of his property. But you are right, it will need to be followed through by the small claims courts.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 03:16 PM
  #171  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,204
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
He may need to go to the Police to report it and get a crime number to be able to push anything forward. Technically it's theft of his property. But you are right, it will need to be followed through by the small claims courts.
Which ever way it goes I hope he gets his property back, absolutely disgusting behaviour by a so called specialist. Be interesting to hear David's thoughts on this shame he doesn't come on here anymore.
the shreksta is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 03:32 PM
  #172  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
Which ever way it goes I hope he gets his property back, absolutely disgusting behaviour by a so called specialist. Be interesting to hear David's thoughts on this shame he doesn't come on here anymore.
Yes I totally agree.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 08:41 PM
  #173  
stevie1982
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (16)
 
stevie1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,021
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
Its **** all to do with the police, this will have to be sorted through the courts. Only way the plod get involved will be if there is a breach of the peace.
It will need to be reported for a crime number yet its still theft. The engine did not belong to API and they have dishonestly appropriated property belonging to another with the intention to permenatly deprive the individual of that property. As long Burns can prove its his engine I would hope that the police would be able to deal API accordingly for theft, I certainly would not take matters into your own hands and issue any form of action Burns, you'll end up looking at a record for yourself.

The police can and should deal with the theft element and can also apply for compensation yet it might be best to also looking to get a financial reimbursement via the courts

stevie1982 is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 08:45 PM
  #174  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Burns, is it the original engine block from your car? If so it will have an original engine number stamp on one of the block halves which will match your logbook.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 08:59 PM
  #175  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,204
Default

Has api officially closed down then? Might be difficult to take this further through the courts if so.

I agree he needs shoveling in and it would be hard to resist but be sensible and go down the right route...........you can always cream him when it's done and dusted lol
the shreksta is offline  
Old 11 March 2019, 11:22 PM
  #176  
plenty
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 664
Default

OP I admire how well you are dealing with this and truly hope you get some recompense.

I dealt with API when DOB was running it and spoke with Simon a few times. Seemed like a straightforward enough bloke at the time. I have no idea what happened but think it's plausible that Simon's business skills didn't match his spannering abilities, and he found himself needing to do things like switch and sell bits of customer cars to keep afloat, all the while trying to convince himself that he would be able to make good eventually but in the end shafting himself and others. Or at least that what's happened to other mechanics I have known.
plenty is offline  
Old 12 March 2019, 08:24 AM
  #177  
andy97
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Posts: 5,090
Default

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I fortunately washed my hands of Subaru many years ago. Api built me a fast car with powerful engine/gearbox ecu etc. I waned a new ECU with more protection features and (Cant remember his name now) that tuning rally fella up in Carnforth had developed a new ECU allegedly!! I took my car up to him with a newly refreshed engine by Api. The tuner destroyed the engine and nearly burnt down his rolling road, but he pushed my car outside. After much hassle I successfully made a claim with my solicitor. I was paid out for the damage, but after nearly 2 years of legal wrangle so, I gave the car to Api

David had been excellent with his help and storage of my car. It was the least I could do, I had been recompensed far more through the courts.

Sad to hear what has happened to Api

In the main tuning roads cars has gone.
andy97 is offline  
Old 13 March 2019, 05:29 PM
  #178  
scotty75
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
scotty75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central region
Posts: 910
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Decent Engine Builders

Thwaites (TDR)
Engine Tuner (Alan Jeffery)
RCM
Scoobyclinic
Subaru4you
AS performance
Richard at Zen
Richard Henry
Paul Finch @ Finch Motorsport

List Updated.
Also if you want one of the best engine builders and willing to travel then you have Steve Whitson of SW motorsports in Edinburgh .

Last edited by scotty75; 13 March 2019 at 05:34 PM.
scotty75 is offline  
Old 13 March 2019, 07:11 PM
  #179  
burns
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bridgnorth with the Steam trains
Posts: 690
Default


This is what’s left of my pride and joy, just don’t know where to start.
burns is offline  
Old 13 March 2019, 07:12 PM
  #180  
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RAGGY DOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Avoid bob Rawle
Posts: 2,754
Default

Holy ****
RAGGY DOO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An API story


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.