Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver

Old 15 October 2018, 03:47 PM
  #121  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Well mine hadn't been off the car before and apart as they still had the original STI springs inside, but they certainly didn't have any bump stops in either side when I took them apart.

Plus if you look at all the aftermarket spring kits available, some offer new rear shorter bump stops, some give advice to trim just the shortest ring off the standard rear bump stops as I did but no kits offer new front bump stops or even mention standard bump stops on the STI. I thought it was odd too personally.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 15 October 2018, 03:56 PM
  #122  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

From everything I've found it seems to show front bump stops available up to 2014 models.

Odd.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 15 October 2018, 04:00 PM
  #123  
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: WMI
Posts: 5,142
Default

I ended up with some JDM STi accessory springs on mine that were bought by the chap who works (worked?) at the Subaru dealership - who sold them on to a chap who then sold his car before fitting them. They're meant to be a 10mm drop and to be honest I think they look perfect on standard wheels:

ScoobyDoo69 is offline  
Old 15 October 2018, 04:02 PM
  #124  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Very nice.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 15 October 2018, 04:30 PM
  #125  
Don Clark
Scooby Regular
 
Don Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Harpenden
Posts: 4,846
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Well mine hadn't been off the car before and apart as they still had the original STI springs inside, but they certainly didn't have any bump stops in either side when I took them apart.

Plus if you look at all the aftermarket spring kits available, some offer new rear shorter bump stops, some give advice to trim just the shortest ring off the standard rear bump stops as I did but no kits offer new front bump stops or even mention standard bump stops on the STI. I thought it was odd too personally.
As Fpan says did you take the fronts totally apart as the bumpstop is inside as they are inverted similar to the Bilstein damper below


Don Clark is offline  
Old 15 October 2018, 04:35 PM
  #126  
Don Clark
Scooby Regular
 
Don Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Harpenden
Posts: 4,846
Default

Front struts for MY15 onwards are 20310VA400/410 which look like this and are inverted type so no external bumpstop it's inside.

Don Clark is offline  
Old 15 October 2018, 04:44 PM
  #127  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Ah yes, I'm with you now. They are inside the strut housing at the bottom of the assembly.

Short answer is no, didn't take them apart.

Always worry about taking stocks apart. Even one tiny bit of dirt inside these when you're doing this will destroy them in no time.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 15 October 2018 at 04:49 PM.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 07:43 AM
  #128  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
So Saturday I finally had an opportunity to fit some of my suspension bits. H&R MY15 lowering springs fitted to the original shocks, with rear bump stops trimmed down 1 notch. They have dropped the car around 25mm at a guess but it still rides very well indeed and doesn't crash about. These H&R springs offer the greatest drop on standard suspension you can get for these cars, but they are not easy to get hold of and I had to import these from the US. I wanted to start with lowering springs on this car as with coilovers you always get more road noise transferred through the solid top mounts. I wanted to keep this as a nice comfortable sports car for now. May still go coilovers in the future though.

Also fitted the Whiteline front camber bolts while I was at it, but ran out of time to fit the Whiteline rear camber kit and Whiteline rear subframe locking kit on Saturday. So these will get fitted this week before the tracking and camber gets done.

Few pics.



look8ng monstrously superb
ZANY is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 08:23 AM
  #129  
Wouldie
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Yorkshire
Posts: 234
Default

F'in sweet brownpantsracing.
Wouldie is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 09:22 AM
  #130  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Thanks chaps!
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 01:54 PM
  #131  
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West London
Posts: 553
Default

I don't usually post, but it has been interesting to read the posts which for once seem to be based on facts and findings!
Richy P1984 is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 02:06 PM
  #132  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Originally Posted by Richy P1984 View Post
I don't usually post, but it has been interesting to read the posts which for once seem to be based on facts and findings!
LOL. Thanks! To be honest, apart from an occasional appearance from our regular forum troll Fawor, everyone posting on my thread are considered good members with good personal experience. It's nice.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 02:18 PM
  #133  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Default

I’m on first dibs if you ever or when you sell this one sir BPR regardless of having the widetrack
ZANY is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 02:20 PM
  #134  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
Im on first dibs if you ever or when you sell this one sir BPR regardless of having the widetrack
LOL. If I do eventually sell I'll let you know buddy. Still have a C63 itch that needs scratching at some point, but not before I've spent more dosh on this one. Have to say I do love this new car, it's great. Puts a smile on my face every day. Will not be selling this one for a while.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 02:26 PM
  #135  
Rusti
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Rusti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 894
Default

What's next for your dosh then Andy?
Rusti is offline  
Old 16 October 2018, 02:38 PM
  #136  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Originally Posted by Rusti View Post
What's next for your dosh then Andy?
On Thursday I'm getting the rear subframe locking kit and rear camber kit fitted plus a full geo & camber setup.

After that I will just enjoy the car for a bit.

But I have the Perrin FMIC kit still to fit to it and the induction kit. So I will need to buy:

New Tial 50mm flange BOV for FMIC piping (or blanking plate)
New Turbo, either SC42+ or GT3071R
Harvey up-pipe to suit
Possibly porting of current headers or tubular un-equal.
Injectors
Fuel pressure reg.
Another remap

May also swap out the downpipe for a bigger or better one before I do this. Exhaust is currently 2.5" system, so I'm interested to see what I can make using the current H&S system. If it gets too restrictive then I may have to go 3" and sell mine on.

Sure there are a few more bits I have thought about and forgotten again!

It can all happen over time now. Currently with the VF48 it's lovely to drive daily and very responsive.

Addition, will also get a Perrin 3 bar map sensor as mine is currently mapped to 1.5 bar peak on std 1.7 bar map sensor, which is too close for my liking.

Also another Perrin 6 speed quick shift kit as it was just lovely on my FSTI.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 17 October 2018 at 10:11 AM.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 10:10 AM
  #137  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

My car was at my friends garage again yesterday getting the last few suspension bits fitted that I didn't have time to fit at the weekend. They installed the Whiteline rear subframe locking kit and the adjustable rear top arm camber kit. The rear arms are silky smooth now and they have managed to get all the tracking and camber settings within the recommended Subaru & Prodrive settings I gave them which is great. Car is now running -2.0 deg on the rear and -1.3 deg camber on the front with toe as per Prodrive specs. Wheels are very close indeed as the arches on this haven't been rolled and I don't intend to do that on this car. But it clears just fine and still have a huge amount of suspension travel without issue. Phew.

Car drives great as it did before and still feels OEM inside. Not pushed it yet to see how it handles on the limit. May uprate the ARB on the back and mounts and drop links all round next. Will see.

So I've just done a few measurements on the car now the springs have been on nearly a week. All measurements below are taken from wheel/hub centre to wheel arch lip, so that tyre profile and wheel diameter do not come into the equation. Also taken the Eibach Pro kit published figures as an example compared to mine.

MY15 STI OE height front = 361mm
Eibach Pro Springs height front = 340mm (21mm drop over standard)
H&R Sport Springs height front = 348mm (13mm drop over standard)

MY15 STI OE height rear = 355mm
Eibach Pro Springs height rear = 335mm (20mm drop over standard)
H&R Sport Springs height rear = 332mm (23mm drop over standard)

Before the suspension was fitted the rear of my car already looked lower than the front. Visually it looks about level, but the front may settle a little more yet I feel over time.

Interestingly that the Eibach kit states to use standard un-cut bump stops front and rear, as did the H&R kit.

So far all good, rides great. Very close to standard feel.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 10:14 AM
  #138  
Matty81
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Banned
Posts: 1,576
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
My car was at my friends garage again yesterday getting the last few suspension bits fitted that I didn't have time to fit at the weekend. They installed the Whiteline rear subframe locking kit and the adjustable rear top arm camber kit. The rear arms are silky smooth now and they have managed to get all the tracking and camber settings within the recommended Subaru & Prodrive settings I gave them which is great. Car is now running -2.0 deg on the rear and -1.3 deg camber on the front with toe as per Prodrive specs. Wheels are very close indeed as the arches on this haven't been rolled and I don't intend to do that on this car. But it clears just fine and still have a huge amount of suspension travel without issue. Phew.

Car drives great as it did before and still feels OEM inside. Not pushed it yet to see how it handles on the limit. May uprate the ARB on the back and mounts and drop links all round next. Will see.

So I've just done a few measurements on the car now the springs have been on nearly a week. All measurements below are taken from wheel/hub centre to wheel arch lip, so that tyre profile and wheel diameter do not come into the equation. Also taken the Eibach Pro kit published figures as an example compared to mine.

MY15 STI OE height front = 361mm
Eibach Pro Springs height front = 340mm (21mm drop over standard)
H&R Sport Springs height front = 348mm (13mm drop over standard)

MY15 STI OE height rear = 355mm
Eibach Pro Springs height rear = 335mm (20mm drop over standard)
H&R Sport Springs height rear = 332mm (23mm drop over standard)

Before the suspension was fitted the rear of my car already looked lower than the front. Visually it looks about level, but the front may settle a little more yet I feel over time.

Interestingly that the Eibach kit states to use standard un-cut bump stops front and rear, as did the H&R kit.

So far all good, rides great. Very close to standard feel.
where did you find the prodrive geo setting mate ? As Im having an anti lift kit and bump steer correction kit fitted tomorrow with a geo setup being done on Monday and would like to follow the Subaru/prodrive settings. Non dccd.
Matty81 is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 10:30 AM
  #139  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Found it by googling:

From Simon Lines @ Prodrive :

Recommended UK settings,

For a DCCD-A car: -

Front Camber (make sure it's equal side to side)

Minimum -1 10’ Preferred -1 15’ "Track" -1 20’ / -1 30’

Front Toe-in (Total) Minimum 0 02’ Preferred 0 06’ Maximum 0 10’

Front Caster Standard Subaru (more is good)

Rear Camber Standard Subaru (make equal side to side if at all possible)

Rear Toe-in (Total) Minimum 0 06’ Preferred 0 10’ Maximum 0 14’

Thrust angle Minimum -0 01’ Preferred 0 00’ Maximum 0 01’

Non DCCD-A car is the same accept: -

Front Toe-in (Total) Minimum 0 00’ Preferred 0 01’ Maximum 0 03’

Rear Toe-in (Total) Minimum 0 02’ Preferred 0 6’ Maximum 0 10’

These settings do fall into the stock Subaru "envelope" hence the recommendation that you "use stock settings" they are also conservative settings that are designed not to cause to much tire wear.

However, these are UK based setting's and they will reduce understeer, so in effect making the car more suited to a competent driver.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 10:34 AM
  #140  
stockcar
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: north east
Posts: 5,358
Default

bearing in mind Prodrives involvement with Subaru ended approx 8yrs ago what are these Geo figures actually recommended for??
stockcar is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 10:38 AM
  #141  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Originally Posted by stockcar View Post
bearing in mind Prodrives involvement with Subaru ended approx 8yrs ago what are these Geo figures actually recommended for??
They were newage settings. As you say though, I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any settings for the MY15 model to start from.

I did find quite a few quotes that suggested the MY15 shape could be set to newage settings, so I went with that as a starting point.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 19 October 2018 at 10:40 AM.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 10:39 AM
  #142  
Matty81
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Banned
Posts: 1,576
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Found it by googling:
cheers mate. I did have a look on google and come across 2 different sets that people put up so didnt know which ones were correct. Ill go along with those. Cheers
Matty81 is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 11:13 AM
  #143  
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RAGGY DOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Avoid bob Rawle
Posts: 2,682
Default

Looking good bpr
RAGGY DOO is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 11:15 AM
  #144  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO View Post
Looking good bpr
Thanks bud.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 11:17 AM
  #145  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Also forgot to add that the lovely Alyn from AS Performance is kindly sorting out all the bits I need to finally sort the damned turbo water leak out on my car. Can't wait!

Whilst I'm (or Rich @ FB) are fitting these I'll also get the Forge turbo blanket fitted I bought from Alyn last month.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 12:21 PM
  #146  
Don Clark
Scooby Regular
 
Don Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Harpenden
Posts: 4,846
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
They were newage settings. As you say though, I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any settings for the MY15 model to start from.

I did find quite a few quotes that suggested the MY15 shape could be set to newage settings, so I went with that as a starting point.
I was also wondering about that

Just so you have some more data to go on for comparison......

MY11 WRX WRXSTI (both widebody versions) OEM settings


MY11 Pro-R Eibach settings


MY15 WRX WRX STI OEM settings



Don Clark is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 12:46 PM
  #147  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Awesome, thanks Don. You really are the diagram King.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 01:14 PM
  #148  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,455
Default

Don - could you say where that info is from?
Cheers
bonesetter is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 01:15 PM
  #149  
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: WMI
Posts: 5,142
Default

From his huge Subaru archive that he has access to at work I presume?

I'd love to get my hands on all the 2014+ STi workshop manuals and similar details like the above!
ScoobyDoo69 is offline  
Old 19 October 2018, 01:36 PM
  #150  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 7,998
Default

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69 View Post
From his huge Subaru archive that he has access to at work I presume?

I'd love to get my hands on all the 2014+ STi workshop manuals and similar details like the above!
Me too!
BrownPantsRacing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.