Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver

Old 31 January 2019, 04:56 AM
  #301  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Doesn't look like £850 worth of parts just there, the box is far too small.




Very nearly there now.
Nice loving the perrin fpr where did you source all these from? AS?
ZANY is offline  
Old 31 January 2019, 10:50 AM
  #302  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by ZANY View Post


Nice loving the perrin fpr where did you source all these from? AS?
Indeed, all came from Alyn @ AS again. Top service as always!
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 31 January 2019, 10:52 AM
  #303  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO View Post
This will be savage mate
when are u ripping it apart
All going to happen at once like yours. As this is a daily for me I can't afford to have it off the road for long, so will plan for it to be done in a week if I can as I want whoever does it to have time to tweak the map and get it right.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 31 January 2019, 12:18 PM
  #304  
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RAGGY DOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Avoid bob Rawle
Posts: 2,753
Default

Itís gonna be awesome man canít wait for you to get stuck in
RAGGY DOO is offline  
Old 31 January 2019, 12:21 PM
  #305  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO View Post
Itís gonna be awesome man canít wait for you to get stuck in
Cheers bud. I hope so!
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 03:57 PM
  #306  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

In for a penny.....

So today I bit the bullet and ordered a new full 3" hand built fully tig welded decat downpipe and full 3" hand built stainless exhaust for the car. Been toying with this for a while and I knew that my 3" H&S downpipe and 2.5" exhaust would eventually hold the car back. Was looking at all sorts but found one from a company called Tuning Developments that looks really well made in house by them. They even make the silencers themselves. After much discussion with them I finally ordered it all this afternoon.

Few pics:









Video of exhaust:


Also ordered some more DEI titanium wrap, lock wire, stainless cable ties, and tool plus a new drivers side fog lamp bezel so that I can make my own fresh air intake system for the induction kit.

God help me.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 04:49 PM
  #307  
sivo
If in doubt loose weight.
iTrader: (30)
 
sivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 2,001
Default

Looks nice that BPR

How well did the h & s cat back fit on yours ??

Siv
sivo is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 04:51 PM
  #308  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by sivo View Post
Looks nice that BPR

How well did the h & s cat back fit on yours ??

Siv
The H&S system fits perfectly on mine mate and sounds amazing.

The H&S full system will be up for sale soon, along with a choice of 3" to 2.5" downpipes (as I have 2)! hahaha
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 04:55 PM
  #309  
sivo
If in doubt loose weight.
iTrader: (30)
 
sivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 2,001
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
The H&S system fits perfectly on mine mate and sounds amazing.

The H&S full system will be up for sale soon, along with a choice of 3" to 2.5" downpipes (as I have 2)! hahaha


Email me some pics and prices when you get a minute.

Siv
sivo is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 05:37 PM
  #310  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by sivo View Post


Email me some pics and prices when you get a minute.

Siv
PM sent with pics and prices.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 06:38 PM
  #311  
fpan
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,824
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
In for a penny.....

So today I bit the bullet and ordered a new full 3" hand built fully tig welded decat downpipe and full 3" hand built stainless exhaust for the car. Been toying with this for a while and I knew that my 3" H&S downpipe and 2.5" exhaust would eventually hold the car back. Was looking at all sorts but found one from a company called Tuning Developments that looks really well made in house by them. They even make the silencers themselves. After much discussion with them I finally ordered it all this afternoon.

Few pics:









Video of exhaust:

https://youtu.be/0TqIefZF6Qc

Also ordered some more DEI titanium wrap, lock wire, stainless cable ties, and tool plus a new drivers side fog lamp bezel so that I can make my own fresh air intake system for the induction kit.

God help me.
The exhaust looks and sounds good!
fpan is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 07:08 PM
  #312  
sivo
If in doubt loose weight.
iTrader: (30)
 
sivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 2,001
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
PM sent with pics and prices.
ok buddy, thanks.

Siv
sivo is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 07:20 PM
  #313  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by fpan View Post
The exhaust looks and sounds good!
Cheers. Just need to get everything fitted so I can hear it now.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 07:40 PM
  #314  
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RAGGY DOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Avoid bob Rawle
Posts: 2,753
Default

Get it torn apart mate
RAGGY DOO is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 07:47 PM
  #315  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO View Post
Get it torn apart mate
Haha. Wish I could mate, this is still an every day driver for me so gotta time it just right once the last parts have arrived.

I'm going to plan the **** out of this so it all goes smoothly.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 08:53 PM
  #316  
fpan
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,824
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Cheers. Just need to get everything fitted so I can hear it now.
Did you leave the car with them or did you just send them the OEM system in order to make the new one?
I am after a custom sports cat downpipe for a 2.0 twinscroll.
fpan is offline  
Old 12 February 2019, 09:01 PM
  #317  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by fpan View Post
Did you leave the car with them or did you just send them the OEM system in order to make the new one?
I am after a custom sports cat downpipe for a 2.0 twinscroll.
No thankfully I didn't have to leave my car as the owner also has a new shape STI like mine which he's used as a template for a few bits. They have also made their own rotated kit which I'd be tempted to try out later on down the road.

I'm sure if you wanted one made for yours they would do it.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 18 February 2019, 10:55 AM
  #318  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Wanted to fiddle with something on the car this weekend and fix an annoying issue at the same time. The HT Autos rear diffuser is designed in such a way that it holds water when it's been raining and spills off once you start driving. I was a little worried that it was holding water against the boot floor and would promote corrosion but after inspection it looks like it hasn't been doing that, only holding water on the inside of the lower fins in the diffuser. So anyhow, I took it off to drill loads of holes to stop water build up. AT the same time it gave me the opportunity to start modifying it slightly.

I marked up the pointlessly large upper sections with painters masking tape to map out a new profile to match the thickness of the section below the fog lamp. I then painted the upper section with primer as a marker for material to be removed and check that I was happy with the new profile. I then hand trimmed the excess and machine sanded it all perfect again.

Few pics below.








I've already designed and 3D printed some spacers to allow me to mount the forward section slightly differently and will design some different spacers for the rear fins to allow me to change this too. Will probably also change the way it's mounted and use thread rivnut fasteners instead of the plastic pop rivets supplied.

Also.... this just arrived. Can you tell what it is?


BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 18 February 2019, 02:30 PM
  #319  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,202
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
Wanted to fiddle with something on the car this weekend and fix an annoying issue at the same time. The HT Autos rear diffuser is designed in such a way that it holds water when it's been raining and spills off once you start driving. I was a little worried that it was holding water against the boot floor and would promote corrosion but after inspection it looks like it hasn't been doing that, only holding water on the inside of the lower fins in the diffuser. So anyhow, I took it off to drill loads of holes to stop water build up. AT the same time it gave me the opportunity to start modifying it slightly.

I marked up the pointlessly large upper sections with painters masking tape to map out a new profile to match the thickness of the section below the fog lamp. I then painted the upper section with primer as a marker for material to be removed and check that I was happy with the new profile. I then hand trimmed the excess and machine sanded it all perfect again.

Few pics below.








I've already designed and 3D printed some spacers to allow me to mount the forward section slightly differently and will design some different spacers for the rear fins to allow me to change this too. Will probably also change the way it's mounted and use thread rivnut fasteners instead of the plastic pop rivets supplied.

Also.... this just arrived. Can you tell what it is?


good progress matey but i feel we need to chat about your strange alien like crab-claw hand lol
the shreksta is online now  
Old 18 February 2019, 05:23 PM
  #320  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
good progress matey but i feel we need to chat about your strange alien like crab-claw hand lol
Hahaha. I see your point!!!
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 18 February 2019, 09:15 PM
  #321  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

A little perspective between new rear box and original item. New boxes are full 3" even at the centre pipe split all the way to the boxes.





Even the H&S system is reduced diameter at the split then smaller to both boxes. They quote combined bore is "equivalent" to 3" but it's not true dual 3" like this system.

Really impressed with the build quality of it.

I'm sending the boxes to my local metal polisher guy who I've used a few times before. He is amazing, even gets the job to polish the FA Cup and other precious hardware he's so good.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 February 2019, 04:36 PM
  #322  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

These arrived today.

BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:03 PM
  #323  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,202
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
These arrived today.

are you seriously going to put mishimoto products on your car after reading the poor reviews from other members on here? ........................disappointed with you young man

whilst your at it why not drain the oil from your engine and cut through your cambelt and then start your engine..................

samco all the way
the shreksta is online now  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:06 PM
  #324  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
are you seriously going to put mishimoto products on your car after reading the poor reviews from other members on here? ........................disappointed with you young man

whilst your at it why not drain the oil from your engine and cut through your cambelt and then start your engine..................

samco all the way
haha. I would never use any of the Mishimoto alley products like rads or header tanks after all the things I've read, but never heard a bad thing about their rad hoses. They are 5 ply, what can go wrong? They are still 1000x better than the OE ones currently on the car!

I should add, they are the only Mishimoto parts allowed near this car. The end!
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:21 PM
  #325  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,202
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
haha. I would never use any of the Mishimoto alley products like rads or header tanks after all the things I've read, but never heard a bad thing about their rad hoses. They are 5 ply, what can go wrong? They are still 1000x better than the OE ones currently on the car!

I should add, they are the only Mishimoto parts allowed near this car. The end!
i have some 5 ply toilet paper perhaps you could use that

well i hope they hold out for you anyway buddy. any idea when fitting and mapping will take place?
the shreksta is online now  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:34 PM
  #326  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
i have some 5 ply toilet paper perhaps you could use that

well i hope they hold out for you anyway buddy. any idea when fitting and mapping will take place?
hahaha. I'll get some 5 ply bog roll on the shopping list for curry night!

No idea on mapping yet, still gathering bits and still a few jobs to do before I get there.

I want to send the rear boxes away to get polished and then I'm going to electro-etch my logo discretely on the tailpipes using some work equipment I have. I'm also waiting for another fog bezel to turn up from America so that I can start work making a duct and vent for the in bonnet K&N typhoon system. I'm still waiting for my flipping powder coaters to pull their finger out of their **** on my intercooler pipework which is starting to annoy me now. Once I've done all these I need to have a trial run with the IC and induction fitting so that I can work out the design for the new induction kit shield I plan to make.

Once I've done all this I'll be ready for the turbo swap and full install.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:53 PM
  #327  
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ESSEX INIT
Posts: 5,519
Default

BPR imo samco end of ......

no excuses dude
ZANY is offline  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:53 PM
  #328  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,202
Default

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
hahaha. I'll get some 5 ply bog roll on the shopping list for curry night!

No idea on mapping yet, still gathering bits and still a few jobs to do before I get there.

I want to send the rear boxes away to get polished and then I'm going to electro-etch my logo discretely on the tailpipes using some work equipment I have. I'm also waiting for another fog bezel to turn up from America so that I can start work making a duct and vent for the in bonnet K&N typhoon system. I'm still waiting for my flipping powder coaters to pull their finger out of their **** on my intercooler pipework which is starting to annoy me now. Once I've done all these I need to have a trial run with the IC and induction fitting so that I can work out the design for the new induction kit shield I plan to make.

Once I've done all this I'll be ready for the turbo swap and full install.
fecking hell who's put a £1 coin in you today...........i didnt want your life story,i was only being polite

no seriously mate i like reading the updates on this thread and on raggys thread, both will be awesome machines when completed. i hope it all goes well for you and that you dont get any major issues. i wish mine was moving in this direction, im a little scared of pulling the plug on £10k plus of upgrades with brexit around the corner so im just going to wait and see what happens. the company i work for is steam-rolling ahead with investment on most of its sites and work is relentless since having my promotion but you never know whats around the corner.

damn brexit messing with my mind.........

the shreksta is online now  
Old 19 February 2019, 05:54 PM
  #329  
the shreksta
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
the shreksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hinckley
Posts: 7,202
Default

Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
BPR imo samco end of ......

no excuses dude
he is obviously a cheap-*** lol
the shreksta is online now  
Old 19 February 2019, 06:21 PM
  #330  
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
BrownPantsRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts & Bucks
Posts: 8,057
Default

Originally Posted by the shreksta View Post
he is obviously a cheap-*** lol
Haha. Get you two old women harping on!!!

To be honest I couldn't find anyone in the UK selling the Samco hoses for my car. These will be just fine, same construction as Samco. If I had even the slightest concern I'd not have bought them.
BrownPantsRacing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new MY15 (New shape) STI Daily driver


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.