Girls in my car that witnessed the collision between the 968 & BMW at the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2001, 12:31 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hello,
It would appear that the driver of the Porsche is being blaimed by the BMW driver for causing the accident. Obviously from my view point this did not appear to be the case and I wanted to submit a statement to the Ardenau police station to this affect. Accordingly, please find below my recollection of events and I would appreciate you adding anything or confirming that you are in agreement (and providing your full name). I know this means getting invloved, but I would like to think that if this happened to me, that people would stand up and tell the truth....

I was at the Nurburgring on the Easter weekend and was driving the car (a Moonstone Blue Sierra Cosworth), which was following the Yellow Porsche 968 Club Sport that was involved in a "coming together" incident with a dark grey E30 BMW. Accordingly, I would like to submit my statement as to the course of events:

Being 'Ring novices, we let the Porsche overtake earlier on, as the driver of this car appeared to know the track and we thought it wise to follow someone who knew the correct lines, thus making smoother progress. We arrived at the slight left hander before Schwedenkrewz to find an E30 BMW on the correct line for the hairpin (the far left of the track). However, the driver of the BMW was obviously using his mirrors as he pulled over to the far right of the track to let us come through on the correct line for the hairpin. Unfortunately in doing so, the BMW moved over too far to the right and the rear wheel of the car hit the dust build up on the very edge of the right of the track. This had the effect of spinning the BMW back into the centre of the track and by this time the Porsche driver had nowhere to go. The 968 tried to avoid the BMW (whilst attempting to stay on the tarmac), but the spin had caused the BMW to drift back into the line of the Porsche. With the Porsche driver having nowhere to go, the BMW then hit the Porsche on the front passenger side corner. This then spun the BMW back into the centre of the track, where we only managed to avoid him by braking hard and going passed on the right. The Porsche was forced by the impact onto the grass where it came to a rest just before the hairpin.

In my opinion, the accident was the fault of the BMW driver, as he misjudged where the inside of the track was and pulled over too far. The Porsche driver had no part in the incident, other than being innocently involved in being hit by the out of control BMW.

Had the BMW not moved over prior to the incident, the Porsche and myself would have followed the car round and overtaken at the next available opportunity (as we had been doing to drivers that had not been so good at using their mirrors). There were three other people in the car with me and I have shown them this statement which they are all in agreement to.

If you wish for me to fill in a formal statement form, then please fax this through to me on 0044603 702 936.
UNQUOTE

Look forward to your response.
Cheers
Mike R

Edited because of mistake highlighted below....

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 23 April 2001).]
Old 23 April 2001, 12:40 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Rainbird:
<B>Unfortunately in doing so, the BMW moved over too far to the ???left??? and the rear wheel of the car hit the dust build up on the very edge of the right of the track.[/quote]Do you mean "too far to the right"?
Old 23 April 2001, 12:44 AM
Doc_FRST
Scooby Newbie

Being a Track Virgin this would be my worst nightmare goin onto a track (If i`m ever lucky enough to acheive this goal)
I feel sorry for both drivers in a way, the unfortunate side of motor racing
Thumbs up to Mike just think if it was yourself !
Old 23 April 2001, 12:45 AM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

Am I one of the girls you are on about?!

PS - it was the RIGHT mike
Old 23 April 2001, 12:48 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Mike

Cheryl - your front seat passenger has already provided a statement and diagram for Patrick, the lady in the back is Linda, the better half of James_Harvey.

Jase
(U drove my Scooby at the Ring my00 dbm)
Old 23 April 2001, 12:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Jase,
It's nice to put BBS user names to faces, I had no idea you were Lord Lucan - you've aged very well...
Best regards
Mike R
Old 23 April 2001, 01:14 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've mailed this thread to Linda.

She should reply soon although I don't think she saw so much as she was in the back.

Cheers,

James.
Old 23 April 2001, 01:24 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

me n sham nearly had a run in with the ardenau police but it werent to do with cars... just beer and so on

anyhows good luck in your quest to help this porsche driver out.

rw
Old 23 April 2001, 01:25 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mike.
The left-hander itself is called 'Scwedenkreuz' and the hairpin is called 'Aremberg'.

Stef.
Old 23 April 2001, 01:48 PM
Linda
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
I was in the back at the time of the accident.
It happened really quickly and was impressed how Mike handled the situation.
From limited viewing in the back I saw the following. The BMW pulled over to the right to let the Porsche through and in doing so pulled over too far and was half off the track. You could see the dust from the tyres. Next thing I new, he had lost it and hit the Porsche.
Hope this helps!!

Hope this helps!!
Old 23 April 2001, 02:17 PM
patricksavalle
Scooby Newbie

Hello

I am the owner of the Porsche and I appreciate this very, very much! To me this is a 'DM12.000-- posting'.

A already spoke to Cherryl on Wednesday and she said she would fax me her witness-report. Cherryl, please do so: I'm getting a little nerveous My fax is 0031793211457.

I just received Martin's report by mail, and although this helps, it would be better if you fax me a copy of it with your signature on it! Alternatively, you could just print this topic, sign it, write your address on it and fax it!

To express my thanks, I am arranging a 'little something' for you all. I think you will like this and will get back to you in a little while! Have to speak to some people first...

Kind regards

Patrick Savalle

P.S. This is the / my Porsche that was in the accident! Since this is a automobile-enthousiasts site: it is a rare Porsche 968 CS Club Sport ('double' Club Sport) in M030-version (big brakes, 75%diff, stiff-suspension, light-build etc. etc.).

[This message has been edited by patricksavalle (edited 23 April 2001).]
Old 23 April 2001, 02:21 PM
stage 1
Scooby Regular

I cant fax till 6pm tonight when my neighbours finish work - then I will print my statement and sign/date it and fax it to you.

No probs what so ever - we were all shocked that it could happen to anyone and we were so close to being collected.

Martin
Old 23 April 2001, 02:34 PM
patricksavalle
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Great!

By the way, I was impressed by how Mike Rainbird steered clear of the accident!!! (It is a very difficult point on the track. I tried to lift the accel. gently trying to avoid the accident but immediatly felt the backside of the Porsche get light, ready to violently oversteer... -- Scooby's don't do that )

Advice: maybe it's better not drive with 4 people in the car, it is so much more dangerous since the balance of the car is so different. Also, the responsibilities for the driver are so much greater! It need not be your fault as you could see...

Gr.

Patrick
Old 23 April 2001, 02:43 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Patrick,
Four people in the car helps tie the back end down on my car. Even then it still lights the tyres up in third gear coming up the hill out of Brunchen(?) (the big spectator corner). That's the trouble with 215/40 x 17 road tyres and lots of gee-gees! A better driver than me would crucify Stef's time in my car, but alas, I can't drive for toffee and had only done 10 other laps previous to this one...

You should have received by e-mail the copy of the fax sent to the Ardenau police.
Best regards
Mike R
PS. Only reward required is a passenger ride round in your car next time we are there. I have a soft spot for the "proper" Porsches (all the CS varieties).
Old 23 April 2001, 03:14 PM
patricksavalle
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Thanks!

Of course you can drive a few laps with me! But how would you like a lap in a 730bhp, 1030kg, bi-turbo 996GT3RSR (GT1 engine and brakes), 0..200 in sub 9 secs? No promise yet, but I think I can arrange something like that...

See also the topic of John Feldstad on the ring (the novel)

Gr.

Patrick
Old 23 April 2001, 03:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Patrick,
That would be errr "interesting". I will bring my bicycle clips to prevent any spillage....
Cheers and see you next time.
Best regards
Mike R
Old 23 April 2001, 03:46 PM
cherelle_69
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Patrick,

I have been trying to fax you allday today !! and your line is permanently busy...

have also sent you email... explaining this...

cheryl
Old 23 April 2001, 04:17 PM
patricksavalle
Scooby Newbie

Oh, sorry...

try again -&gt; 0031793211457

Thanks

Patrick
Old 23 April 2001, 04:24 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I don't mean to pour cold water on what was obviously a fantastic trip to The Ring, but is there a lesson to be learned from this thread?

Stef's video clips are a huge thrill, no question, but that's one mega scary place to have an off.

Seeing Stef cresting that left-hander is breathtaking. It's also spookily like Craner Curves which we all know is now called Stef Straight!

Sorry for being an old hen.

Richard
Old 23 April 2001, 04:26 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Mike, top bloke for helping out Patrick with this one ! Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling (forget I said that OK )

Big BHP, big heart.

Theo
Old 23 April 2001, 04:56 PM
cherelle_69
Scooby Newbie

Patrick,

could you please let me know if it got through, as I have left work, so will not know until morning if it has failed...

cheers cheryl
Old 23 April 2001, 05:25 PM
Basil
Scooby Regular

Mike - hey, I hope if I ever have an off like this, there'll be someone around willing to help out as you are - good man.. The world would be a much better place if people got a little more involved..

Basil
Old 23 April 2001, 10:55 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Good on ya Mike!

The Aprentice at work was reading PF in the canteen at work today, I had great pleasure in telling everyone that I'd seen the car and spoke to you via the web!

Bob ( flaming cossie piccie)