Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Stolen car found...What happens next?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2009, 02:54 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen car found...What happens next?

Hi all you may have seen my recent thread about my car being stolen. A friend has seen the car today and reported it to the police and they have turned up to collect the car. The police havent rang me yet to tell me but i was just wondering what would happen next with regards to getting it back and insurance etc etc? My friend said there didnt seem to be any damage to the car or anything so im just hoping the engine isnt dead!

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sami
Old 18 February 2009, 03:01 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

More than likely it'll be recovered, preserved for forensic examination and then released to whomever now owns the vehicle be it you or the insurance company. This is all subject to it not having been used in any other crimes.

Once you're notified I think a discussion with the insurance is in order. They'll advise especially if there's damage.
Old 18 February 2009, 03:03 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Well i havent been paid out for the car so if the car is running ok and not been used in any crimes it should still be for me to go and collect?
Old 18 February 2009, 03:11 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by Ver.4
Well i havent been paid out for the car so if the car is running ok and not been used in any crimes it should still be for me to go and collect?
Make sure you check any damage / anything missing in case you need to claim on the insurance & also be aware the police charge a recovery & storage fee. Storage should only be charged from the day after you are notified that you can collect it. (The police use certain 'garages' when vehicles are stored until forensics have done their bit).

Also check with the recovery garage before you go to get it that you can as the police need to 'sign it off' and sometimes they tell you you can have it but forget to tell the garage / storage!!

Really hope for your sake it is all okay.!
Old 18 February 2009, 03:14 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Surely you will need to claim on your insurance still, I thought the Police charged for recovering vehicles, then there will be lock damage etc?
Old 18 February 2009, 03:40 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

I should think an insurance assessor will be dispatched either way. The above about storage fees is correct too. This should have been explained to you either when you reported the theft, sometime after or at least before recovery commenced. If not you have a case for not paying as you haven't been given the option of collecting it yourself.
Old 18 February 2009, 06:45 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

I wasnt told anything with regards to recovery costs which is why i am abit worried as to why they havent contacted me to say they have recovered the vehicle. This would mean i will be getting a bill for storage of my car even though i havent even been made aware that it has been found?

As psigeek said i would have rather collected the vehicle myself if this is the case.
Old 18 February 2009, 06:52 PM
scoobyphil2000
Scooby Regular

where did it turn up?
Old 18 February 2009, 06:58 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Levenshulme...5 minute walk away from where it was stolen lol. apparently its been used in a few crimes so any idea how long before i get it back? And will i be getting a huge recovery/storage bill for all the time they will be doing forensics?
Old 18 February 2009, 07:00 PM
scoobyphil2000
Scooby Regular

when my bros got nicked the police had it for two weeks before he got it back , but i think it would depend on the type of crimes its be used for
Old 18 February 2009, 07:05 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

I wasnt told anything with regards to recovery costs which is why i am abit worried as to why they havent contacted me to say they have recovered the vehicle. This would mean i will be getting a bill for storage of my car even though i havent even been made aware that it has been found?

As psigeek said i would have rather collected the vehicle myself if this is the case.
not being funny mate but if this is the case shouldnt u be on the phone to the police to find out what the hell is going on , instead of asking questions on hear . i know if my car had been stolen and i had a chance of getting it back the last place i would be is on hear ,sorry if this sounds abit harsh but thats just what i think
Old 18 February 2009, 07:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it fully inspected by a subaru garage/speciallist to see if there is any mechanical damage, i doubt they drove the car like miss daisy or put the right fuel in there
Also get an alarm and immobiliser fitted, minimum of a disc lock to start with (i know a good fitter in manchester if you want? )

Tony
Old 18 February 2009, 07:32 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate when i get it back ill get it checked over and then probably get in touch with you for this alarm fitter.

As for andy i have rang them but theyve told me they are going to get an officer dealing with the case to ring me when they are free so in the mean time im looking for advice from people with past experiences so i dont get any unexpected shocking bits of news from the police.
Old 18 February 2009, 07:37 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate when i get it back ill get it checked over and then probably get in touch with you for this alarm fitter.

As for andy i have rang them but theyve told me they are going to get an officer dealing with the case to ring me when they are free so in the mean time im looking for advice from people with past experiences so i dont get any unexpected shocking bits of news from the police.
ok mate hope u didnt think i was being funny . but as said above when u get it back get a proper check done on it ,hope its not too bad
Old 18 February 2009, 11:33 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andywiddss1
not being funny mate but if this is the case shouldnt u be on the phone to the police to find out what the hell is going on , instead of asking questions on hear . i know if my car had been stolen and i had a chance of getting it back the last place i would be is on hear ,sorry if this sounds abit harsh but thats just what i think
OK from someone in the know this is how it works down here in the opposite end of the country and I can't see it varying a great deal. If a vehicle is stolen and recovered as a stolen vehicle the injured party is informed of it's finding and will pay the recovery cost. The vehicle will be examined by forensics (i.e. me) and when they've finished be the officer in the case is happy the injured party will be informed. They then have 24 hours to collect or then be charged a daily storage rate for each day thereafter.

Now I'd the vehicle is used in crime the vehicle may not be seized as a stolen recovered vehicle but instead under police retention. Once again after any forensics and officer in case is happy the vehicle may be released. The injured party has 24 hours to collect the vehicle after being informed or face a daily storage charge on each day since. I believe, though not 100%, that the police pick up the recovery charge in this case.

You ideally need to wait until the officer rings but being found 5 mins away does suggest it didn't get up to too much. Best of luck.
Old 18 February 2009, 11:36 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Hmm hope above is clear. It was typed on my phone.
Old 19 February 2009, 09:56 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also may be a good idea to get the AA to check all over for you.
Old 19 February 2009, 01:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My advice is regularly phone the officer dealing with it; don't rely on them to contact you. Also get the number of the storage compound and ring them regularly to see if the vehicle has been cleared for collection; because as soon as the car is cleared by the police, you are liable for storage fees.

Some compounds will deliver the car for a fee, which sometimes you can negotiate a good rate (£50 for me last time from the wrong side of Brum - and that was a Hi-Ab, as the car had no wheels!)...just depends on who is picking up the tab.
Old 19 February 2009, 01:57 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It used to be that where a vehicle was recovered for forensic examination; all costs, transport, drying room and storage were covered by the police force. This was a charging opportunity lost though and Id be surprised if many forces miss the opportunity to mitigate their costs now...
Old 19 February 2009, 01:58 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, i will keep trying to get in touch with the officer dealing with the case so i know exactly when the car is ready to be collected. Dont think ill be keeping the car though unfortunately