blobeye WRX PPP revive and refresh

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2015, 08:03 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blobeye WRX PPP revive and refresh

here goes!

purchased the car in september last year at a decent price as the car had been stood for 6 months prior to me buying it - 124K on the clock but with full main dealer history to back it up

car was a 2003 WRX with PPP certificate and all relevant paperwork but somewhere along the lines the car had been modified. alot.

the car only had a short MOT so when i got the car home i took it to the local garage and got them to put it through for me

the car failed on quite a few things - rear shocks (common) front pads where low, rear pads were almost non existent plus a few silly things like numberplate bulbs etc.

so it began.

the car in question as i bought it:-

first things was to get the rear shocks sorted so straight onto camskill for these

and a full set of these (generic image but i forgot to take photos)

once these were fitted the car went straight in for its MOT and 40 mins later i had 12 month ticket

then it was time to tackle what was bugging me - the "modifications"

the intercooler had been swapped for a generic FMIC - not to my taste at all and on a standard car IMO, not needed so i swapped that back over for the standard TMIC

the TMIC i bought had a "genuine" fake HKS SSQV black edition fitted and it was leaking like the titanic - so that was quickly changed for an OEM recirc valve

before

after

i was still missing the prodrive Y pipe and after a bit of searching one popped up on SN so i had that and fitted it immediately

once i was happy with that it was time to turn my attention to the exhaust - which had been swapped out for a 5" system - not to my liking at all! so that was removed

and replaced with the genuine article

its sitting a bit high atm so ive got to fettle around with it still

then it was on to the wheels, old ones were 18" inovite tarmac

again, not to my taste so they where swapped for 17" gold WRX alloys instead

rear windows were then tinted

then a change to a K&N panel filter

the old blue point filter was still fine

but as with every project there are some issues i need to address. firstly is the faded side panels on the rear doors

same issue with the wiper arms

the scoop needs addressing as there is a large paint chunk missing - unsure weather to keep the original scoop or upgrade to an STi scoop

and the biggest paint defect

scratch runs from headlight to rear lights - so thats an entire side to be repainted

and the other job is the ABS light is on - further inspection showed that the ABS ring on the O/S/R had cracked - so i'm sourcing a replacement hub atm.

and thats how it stands at the moment. i have a few things to fit over the weekend, they are STi pedal set and prodrive gearknob to replace the worn leather 5 speed gearknob

future plans are to replace all 4 tyres with matching bridgestone potenza S001 which will be next week ish

replace the standard speakers with JBL! components all round and fit a decent double din headunit

polybush both front and rear ARB bushes as front is starting to knock

fit single A pillar pod and boost gauge

tidy up the paintwork and refresh it

progress will be timely but ongoing

comments and criticisms welcome
Old 26 March 2015, 08:47 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work, good work mate
Old 28 March 2015, 11:50 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

bit more progress this weekend

prodrive gearknob fitted

STI pedals fitted

bought a twin gauge and holder from a SN member (boost and volts) so they'll be fitted soon enough

next up - a dam good clean!
Old 29 March 2015, 05:17 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Good stuff fella. Nice to see few bits going back to standard fitment. I thought the peddles were standard ones for the wrx?
Phil
Old 31 March 2015, 02:25 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

mine where crappy rubber ones? unless the pedals were changed before hand
Old 13 April 2015, 06:58 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

more progress

volt and boost gauge arrived swiftly from a fellow SN member and fitting began immediately

no pics of fitting but took the feed through the firewall via the grommet behind the TMIC and took the vacuum feed from the DV

the alarm sensor has been relocated further up the A pillar for the moment until i can find an alternative place - i'm kind of OCD about placement as it needs to match up with the N/S sensor - so i may have to relocate both!

car is boosting at a nice steady 1bar - all i need to do now it solder the earth and find a decent ignition live feed - im thinking either from the clocks or from the ISO lead from the new head unit

and speaking of head unit - new sony bluetooth double din head unit that is compatible with my sony xperia Z3 compact - simply touch, connect, dock and done charges the phone, used bluetooth hands free, voice activated navigation, text to voice function etc so its perfect for me

also had the car mopped over the weekend as well to try and remove most of the paint blemishes - was successful for 90% of the paintwork but still some deeper scratches that will require either paint correction or worst case, a top coat respray

also just had 4 new goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 2 fitted today - 4 wheel alignment and geo will be booked in as well to get everything spot on

next up i think is to repaint the callipers back to red to break up the blue color scheme - then a full service is due which i'll get done as soon as i've ordered some 10w / 40 millers and a new oil filter and sump plug washer and some NGK's
Old 25 April 2015, 04:35 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

small update - gauges soldered up and wired in - car is running a healthy 1 bar boost and alternator is working as it should which is good news