Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Why arent there more new Legacy's about.

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2006, 07:35 PM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why arent there more new Legacy's about.

Got my new 3.0R Legacy about a month ago and havent see another on the road yet, are Subaru keeping this car a secret as its the best car in its class that I have driven. The handling and pace of an Imprezza (well nearly) combined with the comfort and spec of a top range BMW.

The spec is really good and I would have needed to spend closer to 40k to get the same from BMW. Is it just a badge thing or is there some other reason the legacy is not up there at the top of its class (came 8th in last years top gear survey!!).

When I took it into unicar (leeds) for a bluetooth handsfree fitted the sales guy said that they had never had a car in that had generated so much interest (what is it , thats nice etc), come on subaru you make one of the best mid priced executive saloons out there but you dont advertise it , whats going on ????.

Last edited by fallwood; 30 June 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 30 June 2006, 09:29 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

I drove one of these at a recent prodrive day, and I have to say I was impressed by the handling, the ride and the performance. I would definately consider one when the time comes to move on from scooby ownership.

Old 30 June 2006, 09:54 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fallwood
The handling and pace of an Imprezza (well nearly) combined with the comfort and spec of a top range BMW.

The spec is really good and I would have needed to spend closer to 40k to get the same from BMW.
Please don't take offence. Add to that I have never sat in a new Legacy. However I know what the build quality is like of new Imprezas and new Beemers - isn't it a bit of a stretch of the imagination that you have the comfort and spec of a top of the range BMW?
Old 01 July 2006, 12:31 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Please don't take offence. Add to that I have never sat in a new Legacy. However I know what the build quality is like of new Imprezas and new Beemers - isn't it a bit of a stretch of the imagination that you have the comfort and spec of a top of the range BMW?
None taken at all mate. I test drove a 330i with all the options (which is what I was comparing to) before deciding on the legacy, i found the legacy to be higher specced and to be completely honest a lot more solidly built with a much nicer cabin than the BMW . Compared to the old model Subaru have made a huge leap forward with the new Legacy and its a shame that most people dont seem to know just how good it is.

As standard in the 3.0r you get full leather , electric adjustable heated seats for passenger and driver, climate control, sat nav , a very good strereo system, 4WD, dynamic slip dif control, auto or manual box, cruise control , and loads of other usefull gadgets such as windscreen wiper de icers etc. the 3.0 flat 6 produces 250 bhp and 297nm of tourque which makes it very quick for a big heavy car. The point I was making is that I got all this for 10k less than an equivelantly specced BMW that IMO just wasnt as good all round as the legacy.

You really must drive one or at least have sat in one before making a comment such as the one you made , but then we are all entitled to our opinions.
Old 01 July 2006, 06:43 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I did the same thing a few months ago and agree with you completely. The only things that put me off were the poor quality silver finish on the centre console (of the black interior models) - every car I tried had been badly scratched and the fact the Subaru UK deem to fit a budget stereo in to a premium priced car. WHY?!!! every other market has a decent system and because of its built in nature it is difficult to do something about it.
The other issue is the poor engine range. The 2.0 needs a lot of revs to get going and the 3.0 is lovely but very heavy on the juice.
.....oh and the auto boxes are 'orrible!

At £28k for a 3.0 Outback/Spec B you are not talking about a bargain. If you spend that kind of money with Merc and BMW all of these issues can be resolved with trim options, hifi upgrades and a wide choice of engines... all for similar money if you are talking about C-class/3 series.
I know that the Legacy is a bigger car but it is closer in size to the C-class/3-series than it is to the E-class/5-series. It is a far better car than the C-class (and better built too) but the 3-series runs it close.

I'm waiting for them to resolve these issues or I'll pick up a 3 year old Spec-B in a couple of years time for a more reasonable figure.
Old 01 July 2006, 09:33 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

I agree wth you about the fuel consumption very thirsty indeed around town, on the motorway I can average 32mpg at a steady 80mph whch aint too bad.

I disagree about the stereo and auto box I think the stereo is pretty decent compared to other cars ive owned(built in 6 disc changer wth option for an extra changer in the boot and subwoofer) and it gives a nice rich sound.

The auto box is very poor when first driven but it adapts to your driving style over time and now mine is a completely different car to when I picked it up , its was very slow to kick down and seemed to get a bit confused at times, now that I've done some spirited driving in it the box gets it right every time and now changes just as quick as I could in a manual.

Only time will tell regarding the silver trim getting scratched but it seems ok so far, the rest of the car is built like a tank , the doors make a fantastic thunk when you close them .

The 3.0r can be had for 25-26k , the only difference between the R and spec B is the suspension and I couldnt tell that much difference between the two ( spec B is slightly stiffer).
Old 01 July 2006, 10:25 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

The problem with a Legacy is that 99% of people with upto 30k to spend will buy a German car, so the depreciation is horrendous as nobody wants to buy them 2nd hand for a good price.

Personally I'm not bothered about the fuel economy, no performance car will return 40mpg, I knew it would be juicy, but I still get an average 24mpg.

I would say that the build quality is on a par with a 3 series, my car with 30,000 miles has creaky plastics and so have the beemers I've sat in. Audi's imo are a league ahead, very solid and classy.

The radio is ok, but with no external inputs and no MP3 capability (fixed on MY07 cars) it's very limited for expansion (Jap and Aus cars get a Macintosh option).

The dealers are total muppets and also few and far between, I've been forced to get mine serviced independantly, both my nearest dealers are ****'s, there's no other way of describing them tbh. At least with a Audi/Beemer there's a dealer or two in every town.

Reliability so far has been excellent, only recently have a couple of minor warranty issues appeared (cracked sun roof glass, plastic door trim, wheel corrosion), I'll get these done at Keith Price, even though it's a 200 mile round trip they are the only dealer I would trust with my car.

You really need to hear my flat 6 with a partial de-cat, no resonator and a pair of Nurspec's! it makes the flat 4 sound like a concrete mixer.
Old 01 July 2006, 10:59 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

I had a 2001 B4 RSK (the twin turbo)...best car I have ever had bar none...the only problem is it had to be imported. The compromise between handling and comfort is so far ahead of any of the German competition it is stupid. I would have the spec B in a flash if it wasnt for the depreciation...that is the difference with the Beemers, they may cost 10k more, but they will probably give it you back after 3 years - thats the problem with not having a 'premium' badge...as no-one wants to buy the new one, no-one wants the 2nd hand one either (apart from the select few who are 'in-the-know'
For anyone who hasnt sat in the more modern Legacys, dont even start to compare them with the build quality of the Imprezas...chalk and cheese
Old 01 July 2006, 01:18 PM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

As I thought, its more of a badge snobbery thing rather than which is the better car. Ive never been into what badge a car has on it, always been more into what do I get for my money. When looking at the beamers I was getting the distinct feeling that I was paying for the name more than the actual car itself , being a tight fisted yorkshire man this didnt sit well when it came to make a decision.

I have found a company online that do an ipod connection adaptor for the legacy, apparently it lets you change tracks etc from the wheel controls but its a bit pricey at £150.

Makes for a fantastic second hand buy , you can pick up an 04 3.0r for around 15k which is a hell of a lot of car for the money.

I will definately make the subaru showroom my first port of call when it comes round to new car time, I hadnt even considered a Legacy until my mate said he had seen one and it looked really nice, I was lookin at 330's and IS300's for long enough before deciding on a leggy.

I must be fortunate dealer wise as bowetts in leeds have been superb in every way, they have only just become a subaru dealer so I suppose there is still time for them to go down the sh***er.
Old 01 July 2006, 02:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because people lack imagination and buy BMW's, Mercs and Audi's.

Oh and cos they are good as well.
Old 01 July 2006, 03:11 PM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

BMW's are very good cars , if I could afford to go for an M5 then I would have as there isnt anything to touch it IMO.
Old 01 July 2006, 10:35 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fallwood
Makes for a fantastic second hand buy , you can pick up an 04 3.0r for around 15k which is a hell of a lot of car for the money.
Unfortunately this is where Subaru's problem lies. I would also take the Legacy over the German opposition but once you take fuel consumption/servicing costs/depreciation into account it is a VERY expensive car to buy new.
I stand by my comments on the stereo, it is poor when compared to the opposition and to the stereo fitted to Legacys in most other markets.

I'll take your word for it about the auto box but the ones I drove took an eternity to kick down. I'll pick up a manual Spec-B in a couple of years for a fraction of the cost of an equivalent BM/Merc/Audi.
Old 01 July 2006, 10:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depreciation, economy and cabin quality still behind BMWs IMHO. I thought the Legacy 3.0 Spec B was a bit wobbly, and clearly comfort biased. It understeered on my first roundabout. I'd buy a 2.5 Turbo if they made a UK model (that I could get a cheap Euro import of to ward off the depreciation), fit STI TMIC & brakes, uprated suspension and 20G. If a turbo kit comes out for the 3.0 - see NASIOC threads, I'd buy a cheap old 3.0 and sort that, yummy. But as a standard car not for me.

Last edited by john banks; 01 July 2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03 July 2006, 06:59 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

I think they're great, but I'm not buying one new (that goes for any car really) and they're not easy to find used, particularly the import versions (which appeal more).
Old 03 July 2006, 09:52 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

I really want one of the latest spec Legacies, but it needs to be one of the JDM 2.0 single turbos (preferably one of the STi versions - if only the DVLA would let them in). Tried a 3.0 Spec B demo for a day, and it was lovely, but I did miss the Turbo rush (although it did gather speed quickly without feeling flustered).