Quentin Wilson = complete idiot

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 07:51 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quentin Wilson = complete idiot

The stupid greasy ***** this morning on bbc news during a debate about tyre safety over the winter months and in general ,told the nation . dont use the independant small tyre shops as they sell you cheap chinese dangerous tyres and rip you off when u ask for a quote he said use the big chains such as kwic fit or ats as they dont rip you off and give you an honest opinion

well thanks mate , for portraying me (independant tyre shop owner) as a dodgy rip off crook , and for portraying the real crooks as the saints

i had 4 customers today asking me if this was the case . to which i said . here is my prices here are your options pick the ones you want , now go over to kwic fit 100yrds away and see what they quote you .

needless to say they were forced michellins down ther throat , they were told all 4 tyres were shot when only 1 was borderline they were told the car was dangerous due to the fact all 4 tyres were illegal and that if they bought 4 michellins they would get 20%off the 4rth one . quoted all in £455 for the lot

they came back to me bought 2 tyres and went away happy / safe only £135 out of pocket with 2 brand new goodyear tyres on the front and i still make a nice bit for myself and they are happy !

they get a choice and normally go for the middle of the road range , yes they can hve budget tyres its entirely up to them . not my prob they get what they want and are not force fed a load of horse **** by some spotty *****!

and im the rip off merchant ... i think not you greasy leather jacket cravat **** !!!!

thanks for giving me and other local shops a real good review ... ****

RANT OVER

mags
Old 31 October 2009, 07:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

No matter what else he said - the fact that he recommended quack fit shows that he is indeed a retard that knows nothing about the trade
Old 31 October 2009, 07:55 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

****ing terrible mate.

At least your customers worked it out. Hopefully word of mouth will get round because all the mums etc watching that will believe the **** and march down to Kwik Fit
Old 31 October 2009, 08:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This last time i bought some tyre off t'internet and took them to place advertised on local search engine as reasonable place to get them fitted - whereupon he told us al this was with out his permission and he could have done it for the same price all in

im quite sure these larger chains are self serving miscreants in the same way all chains are
Old 31 October 2009, 08:32 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaveBeck
****ing terrible mate.

At least your customers worked it out. Hopefully word of mouth will get round because all the mums etc watching that will believe the **** and march down to Kwik Fit

exactly like the woman who came into the shop the other d sent buy another garage because kwicfit had said she needed all 4 wheels referbed !! after ..... she had gone to kwic fit for a puncture .... been sold £590 worth of continenal spt cnt 3 tyres (on a 02 ford glalaxy) .. gone back the next day due to the tyre still going down ... to have to wait 2 hours while they supposedly checked it out .. broke the center cap ... to be told the wheels needs referbing and sent her to a kwicfit approved bodyshop locally (who think they are ***** to ) to which they rang me due to the woman crying in there bodyshop (husband gone to iraq . kids goin mad in car after after half a morning of waiting around random garages ).. 20 mins later wheel off found metal valve (unchanged when tyres done ) seal leaking pretty badly ..

so £590 quid ut of pocket . 1 morning lost . 1 center cap bolloxed . 3 kids goin mad . **** loads of tears

for a £4 pound valve

she said she does maximum of 5 k a year miles so why does she need nearly 600 quids woth of conti sprt cnt 3 tyres on the car for when all she needed was a valve and thats it !!!!!!!
Old 31 October 2009, 08:34 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

you should complain mate, remember on here a while back when watchdog did a piece on grey imports, saying they were inherently unsafe? They managed to get an inquiry into the programme which found in their favour. They also got an apology IIRC. The opportunity to see Quentin Wilson making an embarrassing climbdown should be all the excuse you need to get writing.
Go for it and if you can, get a few more independents to do the same thing.
astraboy.
Old 31 October 2009, 08:41 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

id love to see that dick groveling . the amount of calls ive had today about it lol

even my mum rang to tell me hes a **** (in an irish accent )lol
Old 31 October 2009, 08:41 PM
Stevo210
Scooby Regular

I saw that too, he came across like a complete donkey.
What the hell was that 20p crap, how about looking at the wear-bar ya goon!!
Old 31 October 2009, 08:45 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by M444GY
use the big chains such as kwic fit
They will even take your Impreza on a high speed joy ride and claim its a "test" and then when you complain to head office, they will gang up on you in town and threaten to kick **** out of you.

Least, thats my experience of using Kwik Fit.
Old 31 October 2009, 08:45 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Will never understand why they keep bringing this bloody car salesman in as a motoring expert. I used to make bespoke wooden furniture that didn't make me an expert in forestry.
Old 31 October 2009, 09:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

He has a point about tyre fitters selling tyres that are totally unsuitable for use in the UK's climate, (be it budget tyres or even well known brands, like certain Pirellis and Yokohamas where certain tyre models are more suited to hotter and drier mediterranean climates), pushing for tyres that they getaway with the biggest price mark-up instead of whats actually suitable.

To say its independant fitters is absurd - its a problem across the board.

And to say to go to kwik-fit instead is absolutely bonkers and plain bad advice: They retail the same crap budget tyres are on my top list of dangerous tyres that should be banned in the UK - zero grip in the wet. It doesn't matter if it fitted to a 50bhp Nissan Micra or a shopping trolley, the damn things are not safe for use on UK roads.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 October 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 09:07 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Does he actually know olt bout cars write into top gear lol
Old 31 October 2009, 09:11 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

Our Scooby goes to likkle garage down the road for tyres. And boy oh boy do they look after the car, Mrs Big Pete and our bank balance. We wouldn't dream of taking it anywhere else for tyres, battery, wipers etc

My company car HAS to go to Kwik Save / Fitt or whatever it's called. All I can say is that I wish I could go elsewhere as they're rubbish
Old 31 October 2009, 09:15 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

BBC Complaints - Homepage

Tyres Northampton have always been 100% better than the chains. Make sure you complain!
Old 31 October 2009, 09:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by pikeywrx
Does he actually know olt bout cars write into top gear lol

No, he knows sod all: Yet he did a program about running diesels on veggy oil to save money.

One of which was saying all that was needed was to filter the oil and change the fuel filter, with an example of a bloke "converting" his fleet of vans - of which were post 2000 transits with a VP-44 pump.

Anyone who knows anything about the VP-44 pump's reliability on normal diesel will know that runnning it on biofuel or veggy oil is a very very bad idea in the long run -

I wonder if Quentin factored in the repair bills into the fuel cost savings? A £600ish plus labour to rebuild the pump when it fails, of which the rebuilt unit will not be guaranteed due to not runnning on the fuel it was intended for. Nope, our Quentin negated to mention any of that.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 October 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 09:36 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Absolutely complain. Kwik Fit utter cack. Last car took in for two wheels got told that if I wanted to I could get the wheels checked for balancing. An extra £15 later or what ever it was I had an undrivable horribly vibrating car at 60mph+.

You don't see monkeys in the jungle holding spanners so why do you find them everywhere at Kwik fit?
Old 31 October 2009, 09:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

exactly like the woman who came into the shop the other d sent buy another garage because kwicfit had said she needed all 4 wheels referbed !! after ..... she had gone to kwic fit for a puncture .... been sold £590 worth of continenal spt cnt 3 tyres (on a 02 ford glalaxy) .. gone back the next day due to the tyre still going down ... to have to wait 2 hours while they supposedly checked it out .. broke the center cap ... to be told the wheels needs referbing and sent her to a kwicfit approved bodyshop locally (who think they are ***** to ) to which they rang me due to the woman crying in there bodyshop (husband gone to iraq . kids goin mad in car after after half a morning of waiting around random garages ).. 20 mins later wheel off found metal valve (unchanged when tyres done ) seal leaking pretty badly ..

so £590 quid ut of pocket . 1 morning lost . 1 center cap bolloxed . 3 kids goin mad . **** loads of tears

for a £4 pound valve

she said she does maximum of 5 k a year miles so why does she need nearly 600 quids woth of conti sprt cnt 3 tyres on the car for when all she needed was a valve and thats it !!!!!!!

Yes, i saw it to and thought Wilson a dimwitted **** for say what he did and Yes, the crooks always seem to be the 'big boys' as far as tyres go and i speak from much experience.

He should be ashamed for giving such foolhardy advice, he should know better!
Old 31 October 2009, 10:01 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

i was going to get a set of tyres from e tyres last week for the scoob, but thought i would try the independant(ish they have 2 or 3 branches) place where i normally get my van tyres. £340 for a set of 4 tyres for my WRX! Falken F452's I think seemed well cheap?

I would never go to kwik fit but i thought every one knew that?
Old 31 October 2009, 10:03 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

The stupid greasy ***** this morning on bbc news during a debate about tyre safety over the winter months and in general ,told the nation . dont use the independant small tyre shops as they sell you cheap chinese dangerous tyres and rip you off when u ask for a quote he said use the big chains such as kwic fit or ats as they dont rip you off and give you an honest opinion

mags
To be fair he was only talking about your place

Just kidding, blokes a fool, QED
Old 31 October 2009, 10:06 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I missed the "article" but have two points to raise...

1. I agree with the warning about cheap chicken-**** tyres, I bought 2 wanli's thinking loads of tread is go for the winter - WRONG - I had more grip on 2mm of Yokohama's finest.

2. My mate **** at the local Kwik Fit is a fine example of a well trained technician, I tell him what to do, he does it. Then I pay HIM ! LOL

dunx
Old 31 October 2009, 10:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mr Wilson probably works in a consultancy capacity for Kwik Fit

simples

PS -- I will let you into a secret -- thats how it usually works

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 31 October 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 10:59 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I always try the local independents
Remember gettinfg a quote for tires for my cosworth from kwik888s which was so far adrift that I seriously asked the guy whether the branch had ever sold any..... no reply.
Also ringing round on quotes for replacing discs and pads, couldn't give me a price until he had seen my car, me " but how much for new discs pads and fitting?" him " you have to bring the car in to be assessed" me "yes but just tell me the highest price it can possibly be" him " you must bring the car in"
As you can imagine I phoned around until I spoke to someone sensible then got the work done there.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:02 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest to the OP - a few years ago Quentin did a program about imports and effectively implied all imports were dangerous.

I complained to the BBC and it was upheld and there was a follow up piece where he had to retract it.

I got a twenty page report from the BBC into their investigations.

I would strongly recommend complaining - you will not be the first or last to complain and succeed.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:03 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't he get done for selling clocked cars many years ago?
Also didn't he try to put a big scare amongst people who drove import cars saying that most of them were stolen.

As for using Kwik Fit i wouldn't let them put air into my tyres.

I'm with Dunx on cheap tyres as the guy i bought my Type R off bought a tyre/wheel package with said Wanlis and holy **** there were in the wet going round roundabouts (at legal speed limit) the **** of the car was trying to overtake me,got some Falken 452 feel safe now

20p test http://motortorque.askaprice.com/vid....asp?video=273

Last edited by myblackwrx; 31 October 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:09 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

on the 2 occasions i have been to kwik fit i have been left not impressed
the young workers were having a spanner fight on one visit
almost hiting my dads car
on a visit to ats they tried 3 times to sort the tracking
then gave me my money back and said try kwik fit
will be using my recommended independant from now on
Old 31 October 2009, 11:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Didn't he get done for selling clocked cars many years ago?
Also didn't he try to put a big scare amongst people who drove import cars saying that most of them were stolen.
Using a 20p piece to check your tyres | Car Video
That was the piece I successfully complained about - he actually said they were unsafe and should not be sold in the UK as they do not meet UK safety standards.

He also said due to lack of history many could have been stolen.
Old 01 November 2009, 12:26 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

I remember that tv program about imports about 6 years ago. He basically said that all imports where stolen, and inferior in quality to UK models. Like Japanese manufacturers have seperate factories where they make inferior domestic models and another factory where they use superior components for the export market!

The guy might think he's a mouth piece for "the industry" but the thing is the general public ( well those with an ounce of common sense ) dont listen to him. Personally from past experience of kwik fit I wouldnt touch them with a sh!tty stick!
Old 01 November 2009, 12:51 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Its not a question of Wilson being dim witted . .But probably more a question of him being payed to say what he saiz by the industry . .
Old 01 November 2009, 01:09 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I always believe a "good" independent is better than a chain...the problem lies in finding a "good independent". I'm not just talking tyres here......it applies across the board, you know when you find yourself a good electrician/plumber/plasterer/doctor/dentist/take away then you tend to stick with them. My experience in tyres is that I have found a good independant and I always now use after some crap experiences with the chains.......kwik fit or "MUPPET FIT" as they have been referred to as........although I will say it varies a lot branch to branch.........

It's like main car dealers, I can think of some crap examples and I can think of one outstanding main dealer that I have dealt with in the past. Mind you, they did win UK dealer of the year..............

What makes me laugh is the amount of businesses that deliver "**** all" customer satisfaction that still make a decent living out of it............

Last edited by Fabioso; 01 November 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:08 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Can't get better than a kwik fit fitter,Ohhhh yes you can.Tried to rip my sis off on tyres,wanted 500 pounds to fit 4 tyres when she only needed 2 fitting.Glad she had the sense to walk away and i then taken her to a local garage a mate of mine is regular at.....

Quick Reply: Quentin Wilson = complete idiot