Notices

Fitting rear firewall, help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2017, 11:53 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting rear firewall, help needed!

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for some advise on the best way to fit and secure my rear firewall especially the parcel shelf panels.
I've recently fitted a swirl pot in the boot ready for this seasons sprinting so need to get the rear firewall sorted, The parcel shelf panels are the biggest prob I can see as the rear window gets in the way for drilling & riveting, unless just bonding and sealing the panels is ok?
Ive got to comply with msa regs for sprinting in class c3. How keen on sealing every hole are they? I.e. The boot lid hinge.. rear strut brace hole etc?
Anyone who has been there and done it and can offer me some advise would be of huge help ;-)Thanks Tim.
Old 16 January 2017, 07:37 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best way is to get the panels try Arch off here he was making them a while back also for a neater option get the rear screen out drop your panels in and seal with intermissant sealant and pop rivet them into place the hardest bit is sealing round the rear strut tops mine are welded in but this was all done befor the shell was sprayed I know you have asked the same question on 22b just use the search engine on there you might find some more answers.
Old 17 January 2017, 12:36 AM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Best way is to get the panels try Arch off here he was making them a while back also for a neater option get the rear screen out drop your panels in and seal with intermissant sealant and pop rivet them into place the hardest bit is sealing round the rear strut tops mine are welded in but this was all done befor the shell was sprayed I know you have asked the same question on 22b just use the search engine on there you might find some more answers.
Thanks for the response, I did actually have the parcel shelf panels and firewall off arch so might just give him a nudge re fitment. Just looks like a window out job to do it properly, plus trying to get every hole sealed up is gonna be a bigger job than I first thought!
Looking back I shud of probably gone under bonnet with the swirlpot as it wud of saved a load of hassle!
Old 17 January 2017, 05:36 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

100% remove the rear glass, not a big job at all really, cutting tool for getting it out is a tenner.
I did mine with it it and was a right nightmare.
Old 17 January 2017, 07:36 AM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the comment, I best order a window removal kit then just in case! :-/ Job gets bigger every time I look at it! Lol. ;-)