Notices

Newage engine in classic, breather/crankcase balance tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2016, 01:51 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Newage engine in classic, breather/crankcase balance tube?

Hi,

I have a forged newage JDM STI engine which I will use in my V5 STI Type R but with V5 intake manifold (with spacers) and V5 water crossover pipe and so on.

Now the newage engine with the AVCS has two extra breather vents on the valve covers and one on the block. As I understand it should have a balance tube for pressure equalization.

"The fuction of the balance tube is related to AVCS. That is why it is only on AVCS heads. The AVCS solenoids dump a lot of oil into the valve cover and this creates a higher load on the oil drainback ducts in the heads/block. Blowby moving up the ducts will slow oil drainback. Adding the balance tube prevents blowby from slowing oil drainback. Flow in this tube is insignificant and should NOT be vented to atmosphere or through a catch can. Venting this port to atmosphere will create flow in the tube and you WILL get lots of oil out that hose as the crank slings it right up into the port on the top of the block. This port is not made to handle flow; it is merely for pressure equalization."

So ideally I would want this dual pipe in this picture where the rear pipe goes to the breathers and to the crankcase http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/gc...0_Pro.jpg.html

But I don't think that will work with the cast V5 water crossover pipe because the water pipe connection takes of in the middle of the pipe.

Can I just use some suitable hose between the two valve covers with a T-connection to the crankcase connector and just be sure that they are really equal length?

Last edited by Turbovin; 12 June 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12 June 2016, 01:58 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You blank the cam cover outlets & the block outlet, I have core plugs available to do this if required, it then looks OE, instead of pipe with bolts jubilee clipped in.
Old 12 June 2016, 02:05 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

But they must be there for a reason? I will use the AVCS in my car.
Old 12 June 2016, 04:37 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Please your self what you do, just giving you an option that I use to good effect from std builds up 800 + horsepower.
Old 12 June 2016, 04:59 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Yes I'm sure it works great with them blocked so I'll see what I decide to do. But then again there must be some point to them being there from the factory. Or do you even plug them on newage cars which already has the piping?

But it should be fine if I decide for some correct size hose or piping as long as both halves are the same length or is there something magical about the stock pipe?
Old 12 June 2016, 05:44 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

If you want the std pipework I have loads of it, but you will need the later
crossover water pipe, not the early wide ones from memory. Plug them up on any competition build, its not needed as there is enough area within the casting to balance out any differences in crankcase to cam cover breathing.

Last edited by MOTORS S GT; 12 June 2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12 June 2016, 07:27 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. I'll think about it for a little while before I decide. I suspect that the twin scroll cars have another pipework too so I'm not sure if I would be needing that. How much are the plugs, any pics of them? It sure would make the engine bay look less messy.
Old 13 June 2016, 11:54 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbovin
Thanks for the info. I'll think about it for a little while before I decide. I suspect that the twin scroll cars have another pipework too so I'm not sure if I would be needing that. How much are the plugs, any pics of them? It sure would make the engine bay look less messy.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...psghsk4oy0.jpg
Old 13 June 2016, 12:13 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've ordered some for my type r as they are very convenient and tidy solution

Name:  cam%20cover%20bung_zpsghsk4oy0.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  427.4 KB