Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

mappers and mapping..............discuss

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2015, 10:05 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default mappers and mapping..............discuss

im in the middle of collecting a few upgrades for my blob,its running at the minute on a standard ecu @ 436bhp built and mapped @ zen performance,the car is capable of more as i have spoke with paul and he says he remembers the car and the main issue is the 650cc power enterprise injectors holding it back so im fitting a set of 850cc injectors along with a rcm induction kit/afterburner exhaust as i dont like the hks system fitted at the minute and for good measure im having the gt30 fitted with a billet wheel..............now then here goes.............

its not so much more power im after albeit a bit more wouldnt be bad,its more to suit the new modifications

who do i choose to map it and why as paul is or has left zen?

before this gets out of hand i want to state that in no way shape or form am i trying to get people a bad name nor insight false accusations etc i want to know of real experiences people have had with the main names associated with subaru mapping..........bad and good

scoobyclinic

area52

duncan graham (race dynamix)

andrew carr (carberry-rom)

mark @ tdr in warwick

i have heard or should i say read great and not so great things about all the above and the systems they use but is it all internet rubbish?

if people would prefer to pm me i can assure you any info i get is purely for my own resource and i will not be sharing i with other people,i want to know about real experiences regarding the above as i need to choose a mapper who will get the best from my car safely and provide me with great aftersales advice etc.

i have only ever had a car mapped once and some of you know who i used and what happened BUT i have no proof that what happened was the fault of the mapper,i can provide details via pm but it is only what happened and i blame nobody

please guys i really need you all to keep this fair and accurate and not just a chance to slag people off for the sake of it.

i want to hear from customers of mappers and mappers alike if possible

cheers guys
Old 06 March 2015, 10:58 AM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill be intrested in this aswell, my car should be ready for mapping soon. Spoke to duncan on the phone seems helpful and he done a great job on sams car!
Old 06 March 2015, 11:00 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamieJerkovic
Ill be intrested in this aswell, my car should be ready for mapping soon. Spoke to duncan on the phone seems helpful and he done a great job on sams car!
ive not been down pauls for a week or 2 as i keep being shipped off to bristol for work but last time i was there the block was built and turbo fitted.............looked good

you just want it to go like mine dont ya
Old 06 March 2015, 11:03 AM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

Haha i know mate he keeps sending me pictures just teasing now! Hopefully wont be to long.

Ill be more than happy if its like yours mate!
Old 06 March 2015, 11:05 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamieJerkovic
Haha i know mate he keeps sending me pictures just teasing now! Hopefully wont be to long.

Ill be more than happy if its like yours mate!
let me know when you have it mapped once its been ran in mate please as i will pop to rcm when you have it done
Old 06 March 2015, 11:33 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

My car has been mapped and modified (at different times) by Paul@Zen and Duncan on several occasions. I also had a brief visit from the late JGM. Of course Paul is no longer in general circulation, but I was very happy with the work Duncan did for me and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him or use him again should the need arise.
All of the mappers you mention have good reputations, so if I were you I would speak to one or two (or more if you have the energy) and see how you feel about what they say they can do for you.
I would be interested to hear the problem you had Shreksta, pm if you like.
Old 06 March 2015, 11:40 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Bob rawle ,, there are other I would use (and ones I defo wouldn't ) but Bob is and always will be top of the list for me as he has always gone above and beyond to help me out and done things other mappers defo wouldn't have done for me
Old 06 March 2015, 02:16 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
andrew carr (carberry-rom)
just to point out andrew carr isn't the sole provider/owner of the carberry rom, it's opensource so any mapper can make use if it for you.

Also Bob Rawle comes over to do cars in NI here and gets excellent reviews from every single one.

You've missed Andy Forrest as well - I've heard only good things about his work.
Old 06 March 2015, 02:25 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy forrest did my wagon and it never missed a beat and pulled like a train. I was very happy on the drive home. Top marks from me.
Old 06 March 2015, 02:40 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

I had a car mapped by Duncan and was not impressed. I`m sorry to say that but I had to have it mapped again by someone else, I should of taken it back to him to be honest.
Old 06 March 2015, 02:58 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

As you know Simon had mapped all my cars but henceforth the only 3 people I would use for mapping are Pat, Andy F and Andrew Carr. I have my reasons of why I would only use these 3 people and anyone on facebook can ask my reasons

Last edited by banny sti; 06 March 2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06 March 2015, 03:40 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for Pat, he mapped my Type R to 330bhp and it went like stink, after sales service was excellent, even stayed on the phone with me for 20 mins and solved a problem with a boost pipe for me, giving me instructions until it was sorted (he was very busy at the time too) as well as talking me through a few operations on the hand commander, also left the ECU open for me so I could make adjustments for the different fuel in Croatia.

So yeah TOP TOP bloke, he as well as the guys at ScoobyClinic gave me bags of information when I was re-building my engine and a few tricks of the trade thrown it too, even had me in the engine building room showing me what's what, so massive thumbs up from me.

Welcome back Banny.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 06 March 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06 March 2015, 03:47 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Welcome back Banny.
Yeah I'll second that
Old 06 March 2015, 04:47 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Can't recommend any mappers because I will be mapping my own but........
Welcome back banny
Old 06 March 2015, 04:49 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can see where this is going, a mapper bashing thread!
without info as to why one is good or one is bad its all too cloak and dagger.

i like A but im not telling why, B is useless but im not telling why.............pointless
Old 06 March 2015, 05:08 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
you can see where this is going, a mapper bashing thread!
without info as to why one is good or one is bad its all too cloak and dagger.

i like A but im not telling why, B is useless but im not telling why.............pointless

I would tell you straight why I would only use the 3 mappers I said but scoobynet is not the platform to do this, however I can assure you it is not for personal reasons purely from a techincal standpoint

Great to be back guys
Old 06 March 2015, 05:15 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by banny sti
I would tell you straight why I would only use the 3 mappers I said but scoobynet is not the platform to do this, however I can assure you it is not for personal reasons purely from a techincal standpoint

Great to be back guys
i know its from a technical standpoint, but why not post some evidence otherwise this will be another thread of "ive heard" or "my mate"....
Old 06 March 2015, 05:20 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

i know its from a technical standpoint, but why not post some evidence otherwise this will be another thread of "ive heard" or "my mate"....
I cant share a personal text conversation I had with Simon not long before he passed on here, regarding what direction I should take with my car should the worst happen...
Old 06 March 2015, 05:26 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

I cant share a personal text conversation I had with Simon not long before he passed on here, regarding what direction I should take with my car should the worst happen...
no i mean what bad experiences people have had with mappers backed up by technical info.

this would be most helpful to people looking for a mapper.
Old 06 March 2015, 05:28 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

no i mean what bad experiences people have had with mappers backed up by technical info.

Agreed but we both know you wont get that sort of factual info on here Dan, too many fan boys and snakes on both sides

I would advise you to consider an aftermarket ecu such as an alcatek or new simtek, would be a step up from the standard ecu as that is my experience of driving a standard ecu'd and aftermarket ecu'd car that is substantially modified like yours

Last edited by banny sti; 06 March 2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06 March 2015, 05:29 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not on twatbook unfortunately Banny so can't ask why.
You're more than welcome to PM me though.... ;-)
Old 06 March 2015, 05:32 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Agreed but we both know you wont get that sort of factual info on here Dan, too many fan boys and snakes on both sides
i know but we both know who is going to get a slating here and it will be mostyl by people regurgitating crap they have read rather than posting proper information.
Old 06 March 2015, 06:01 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

As you know Simon had mapped all my cars but henceforth the only 3 people I would use for mapping are Pat, Andy F and Andrew Carr. I have my reasons of why I would only use these 3 people and anyone on facebook can ask my reasons
cheers banny,im not on face-fail so if you would care to share via pm that would be great
Old 06 March 2015, 06:09 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

THIS.....

this is the reason for me asking,i dont want it to turn into the usual scoobynet witch hunt so only information backed by real facts please,a few of you know me now and im as honest as the day is long so i can promise you that any info shared via pm will stay in my inbox.

if you take my situation with my 1st impreza its the perfect reason why somebodies name can be tarnished as it happened when they mapped it which i think is unfair.when people found out what happened i had numerous pm's saying this and that about the situation.

from a consumers point of view its actually very daunting as there is bad and good about all the mentioned mappers but what is true and what is false???

cheers

matt
Old 06 March 2015, 06:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

ive also spoken with scoobyclinic/duncan/mark @ trd within the last 3 months and all were very very helpful which makes my choice even harder LoL
Old 06 March 2015, 06:13 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Another vote for Pat, he mapped my Type R to 330bhp and it went like stink, after sales service was excellent, even stayed on the phone with me for 20 mins and solved a problem with a boost pipe for me, giving me instructions until it was sorted (he was very busy at the time too) as well as talking me through a few operations on the hand commander, also left the ECU open for me so I could make adjustments for the different fuel in Croatia.

So yeah TOP TOP bloke, he as well as the guys at ScoobyClinic gave me bags of information when I was re-building my engine and a few tricks of the trade thrown it too, even had me in the engine building room showing me what's what, so massive thumbs up from me.

Welcome back Banny.
cheers for the reply ditchy....................although when you came to my house im sure you were in a slover...................................:lo l1:
Old 06 March 2015, 08:47 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
...as paul is or has left zen?
Has he? I know Zen are not building engines/cars/etc like before, but I thought Paul was still "Mr Zen" and still mapping cars?
Old 06 March 2015, 08:59 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TimH
Has he? I know Zen are not building engines/cars/etc like before, but I thought Paul was still "Mr Zen" and still mapping cars?
I'm just going on what's been said to me by other members, it was posted on his Facebook or summat but im not on there so couldn't say
Old 06 March 2015, 09:06 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, just been told what's happening. Oh well.
Old 06 March 2015, 09:10 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

OK, just been told what's happening. Oh well.
???

Quick Reply: mappers and mapping..............discuss