Wobble / vibration in steering wheel at > 65 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2008, 06:07 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy Wobble / vibration in steering wheel at > 65 MPH

Got a wobble ( left to right and back ! ) in steering wheel at > 65 MPH, Not affected on pressing brakes. ( so not warped disc ).

Seems to have started after garage had gearbox out a couple of weeks ago. Was fine previously after the suspension mods and alignment were done last Oct.

Happened both on older tyres and brand new F1 GSD3’s fitted last week & balanced.

In 2007 I got new AST coil over suspension, whiteline adj top mounts, Whiteline wishbone ( bump steer ) ball joints and TRE’s. Also already had Whiteline antilift kit, PU bushes all round inc. steering rack mounts, PU bushed thicker anti roll bars & drop links. Whiteline adj. rear arms and PU bushed the rest of rear arms and diff mounts and diff lock etc

All 4 wheel aligned at time of fiitting, latest bits in Oct 07. Drove fine no wobble / vibration at any speed.

Original bits have got 110,000 miles on ‘em!

Original steering rack, wheel bearings, CVs joints. Could it be wheel bearings? CV’s ? Drive shaft ( bent or out of balance?? )

I’ll move locking wheel nuts around each std position on front wheels in case that causes unbalance, and then swap wheels front to back etc. until I eliminate the cause. Then get the wheels re-balanced ( even only done a week ago when new tyres went on! ).

Since it is exactly the same wobble / vibration at 70 mph onwards on 2 sets of tyres and after balancing, it seems more mechanical / rotating part than wheel / tyre balance to me, particularly as started to do it only after gearbox was removed / refitted. What could have been disturbed / damaged removing gearbox ... when drive shafts are removed from g'box?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 29 January 2008, 07:21 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know nowt (as you know) but I'd suspect the CV's first. Check they didn't get damaged when they popped the shafts out/in. They could have split the gaiter and one of them's gone dry?
Old 29 January 2008, 07:21 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...ml#post7608560

Old 29 January 2008, 08:44 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Default dunno ....

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I know nowt (as you know) but I'd suspect the CV's first. Check they didn't get damaged when they popped the shafts out/in. They could have split the gaiter and one of them's gone dry?
Cheers Rev. How's the Lexus, or a new project ??

CV's are 110,000 miles old, and driveshafts have been in and out of 'box when clutch has been changed 5 times in last 5 years ( thanks to 2 poor jobs, one by Subaru and one later which both needed a 2nd clutch change weeks/months after for poor performance of fiting / specification of clutch).

Apart from tyre balancing not sure what else could be out of balance and still work without extra noise ( but could I hear any new noise with widow shut, the 3" exhaust and whiney PPG gearbox ? !! LOL ! ) perhaps drive shaft bent / wheel bent if garage clouted a kerb or pot hole? Could that have done in a CV or Wheel bearing ???
Old 29 January 2008, 08:45 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks, see reply!
Old 29 January 2008, 08:52 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Cheers Rev. How's the Lexus, or a new project ??

CV's are 110,000 miles old, and driveshafts have been in and out of 'box when clutch has been changed 5 times in last 5 years ( thanks to 2 poor jobs, one by Subaru and one later which both needed a 2nd clutch change weeks/months after for poor performance of fiting / specification of clutch).

Apart from tyre balancing not sure what else could be out of balance and still work without extra noise ( but could I hear any new noise with widow shut, the 3" exhaust and whiney PPG gearbox ? !! LOL ! ) perhaps drive shaft bent / wheel bent if garage clouted a kerb or pot hole? Could that have done in a CV or Wheel bearing ???
The Toyota is still being worked on, looking at using it for a few RWYB's this year. I'm too busy enjoying my Skyline GT-R to take too much notice of it

I was just thinking it could be a buckled wheel. Stick the fronts on the back and vice versa and see what happens.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:58 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Skyline!!! Groan, forgot / didn't know about that!! £££

Yeah, messing around with moving wheel nuts about and loosening them all of to let wheel settle / align centrally in case tyre place or garage air gunned 'em up one at a time.

Funny it was Ok before, then did this on old set of tyres, and still on new set of balanced tyres tho!
Hence my thought on what else may be out of balance / worn!
Old 29 January 2008, 11:39 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

If its none of the ususal suspects that you've already mentioned, then I suggest the gearbox mounts/bolts are checked or maybe the prop bolts are loose / or perhaps the prop has not been fitted in its original location and is now out of balance.

ps If the CV joint was dry you would be hearing a clicking when turning one way or the other.
Old 30 January 2008, 12:54 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Ive got similar at about 75mph though, again all but the suspension/brakes/tyres are original 103,000mile items!

Due to go in to get the steering rack/steering bushes replaced after im back from hols. I'll let you know if it helps.