Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Classic UK Turbo brakes, upgrade from 1-pot to 2-pot callipers

Old 17 October 2012, 08:02 PM
UKPedro
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Classic UK Turbo brakes, upgrade from 1-pot to 2-pot callipers

Hopefully get e good response for my first post here. I've been scouring theforums on and off for the past year for bits and pieces but there's nosubstitute for getting all your questions answered in one place on your ownpost.

I've got a Classic UK Turbo 2000 Wagon MY99 that as far as I can see is totallystandard at present with full service history and parts being replaced prettymuch like for like. I had braded hoses fitted shortly after buying as pedalaction was a little spongy. I also got a recommendation on my last MOT toreplace pads as quite worn and have started getting a bit of a judder underhard braking so looking to replace brake setup as discs are looking worse for wearwith rust and suspect warping causing the judder.

I’m not getting any pull to left or right when braking so don’t think thatthere is any problem with the calliper pistons but vanity kicked in a bit andfigured I may as well think about replacing them or alternatively getting them reconditioneddue to age and look.

I started at looking at replacing callipers with STI Brembo's or other bigkits but decided my budget won't allow and read elsewhere that unless I plan ondoing track days then the standard Subaru 4 pots on the front are good enoughfor most fast road driving. Adding in the fact that I would need to replace thestandard wheels and other parts at thesame time priced this option out altogether

A quick comparison between prices for sending them off for a clean-upcompared to buying replacements on eBay concluded with me snapping up a fullreconditioned set for front and back for £260 with the offer extended fortaking my old ones back for £100 within a day.

The rear set are the newer 2-pots though for post 2001 models as opposed tothe single pots that come as standard on the classic Turbo’s which brings me onto my question’s below. I had a quickcheck before I committed to buy and it sounded a fairly easy job to swap overbut just want to make sure I have all the details right before I buy discs andpads.

1. Have the Subaru 4-pots on the front been the same sizesince the classic models so will definitely fit straight on? They look the samesize to eye and so guessing the disc size will still be vented 294mm x 24mm?

2. Once changed, the rear discs are still vented but size canbe increased to 290mm x 18mm rather than 266mm x 18mm?

3. Do the same brake hoses I have on my 1-pots fit the new2-pots or need replacing again?

4. Do I just need the conversion bracket to increase sizeand spacing to reposition the bolt holes for the 2-pots such as the one here http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/product.php?id_product=90?

5. Will the 2-pots fit under the standard 5 spoke singlealloys that come on a UK Classic Turbo (think they are 16”) with the conversionbracket and larger discs?

Think that’s all for now with the essay but sure I’ll get somemore questions soon (hopefully shorter)
Old 18 October 2012, 04:05 PM
UKPedro
Scooby Newbie

No one got any answers on this?
Old 18 October 2012, 04:45 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Rear discs conversion.

Your going to need rear discs as well mate. The whole kit will cost aprox £250 plus the calipers. The newage handbrake cable was a bit different to the classic however godspeed have designed a rear brake disc that takes care of this for you mate
Old 18 October 2012, 04:46 PM
big gal
Scooby Regular

Hello mate I will try and be of some help to you.

1. Have the Subaru 4-pots on the front been the same sizesince the classic models so will definitely fit straight on? They look the samesize to eye and so guessing the disc size will still be vented 294mm x 24mm? They have the only differance is the Subaru became a sticker on the new model cars.

2. Once changed, the rear discs are still vented but size canbe increased to 290mm x 18mm rather than 266mm x 18mm? The 290mm disc will be needed when using the 2 pots.

3. Do the same brake hoses I have on my 1-pots fit the new2-pots or need replacing again? You will not need to change the hoses.

4. Do I just need the conversion bracket to increase sizeand spacing to reposition the bolt holes for the 2-pots such as the one here http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/product.php?id_product=90? You will need this kit to fit the 2 pots on your motor.

5. Will the 2-pots fit under the standard 5 spoke singlealloys that come on a UK Classic Turbo (think they are 16”) with the conversionbracket and larger discs? Not sure on this, they should do, but if you can post a picture of your wheels then someone will be able to answer this.

Hope this is of some use mate.

Gary.
Old 18 October 2012, 05:21 PM
UKPedro
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the replys. Was starting to get concerned my essay put everyone to sleep.

Gary- Thanks for the help, put all those concerns to rest befoe shopping around.

Bean - Always planned on replacing all discs + pads and already got the callipers bought. Didn't think any of these changes im doing have any impact on handbrake as the drum on all models bar the STI's with Brembos are the same and so don't have any effect on the discs? Please correct me if im wrong.
Old 18 October 2012, 08:09 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All you should need for the rear 2 pots is the fitting bracket/kit and a set of Bugeye WRX discs and a set of pads, which are 290mm and have the smaller handbrake drum.

Your brake pipes will fit, but, it's worth replacing them with braided ones, if you haven't already.

Your wheels should clear the 2 pots, after all they clear the 4 pot fronts which are a bigger caliper.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:07 PM
UKPedro
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Your wheels should clear the 2 pots, after all they clear the 4 pot fronts which are a bigger caliper.
Never thought of it that way but seems obvious now.

Seen these brackets on ebay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/oneoffcust...p2047675.l2562
which are £20 cheaper than the ones on godspeed site? Any one had these and can recommend them?
Old 19 October 2012, 08:34 AM
big gal
Scooby Regular

No worries on the above glad I could help. As for those brackets I personally would get them from Godspeed as Ian's ones look better quality.
Old 24 October 2012, 03:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UKPedro
Never thought of it that way but seems obvious now.

Seen these brackets on ebay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/oneoffcust...p2047675.l2562
which are £20 cheaper than the ones on godspeed site? Any one had these and can recommend them?
They look fine, hard to tell from pics, but no much to brackets.

Can supply CDF Racing 2 pot bracket conversion kit with 290mm discs for just £130 or discs on their own for just £79.99 if needed.