Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Replace tyres at what tread depth? Replace pads at what thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2001, 06:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tyres - 1.6mm legal. I usually replace at 3.0mm as I heard their wet performance rapidly declines thereafter. What do all you do? I am on 3.5mm and want some Toyos!

Pads - start at about 10mm pad material. What depth would you replace them? Mine are on 4.5mm front, and am waiting for new 1155s as I have new discs.
Old 04 October 2001, 08:37 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The F1 tyres on my scooby are down to just under 4mm on each tyre and they feel as if they need replacing as the handling, especially in the wet, has changed for the worst over the last few months. Time to start saving up for a new set I think!
Old 06 October 2001, 02:46 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

I would hope the F1's would last longer than 4mm, you only start with 10mm. I ran my P1's down to the limit on the front with no problems wet or dry. The F1's on my other car at about 4mm at the moment and, being alot lighter, it's still shifting the water and gripping OK. I changed to F1's on the Scooby for this reason.
Old 06 October 2001, 09:20 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I find...

Tyres - in the dry, the less tread the better. But in the wet it's exactly the opposite, obviously. I'll be replacing mine at 3mm min.

Brake pads - in theory, you can run them pretty much right down to the metal, but, and this is a BIG BUT, I find they never wear quite evenly and the insides wear more than the outside pads (less cooling = more heat???). Since it's hard to check the inside pads, I now play safe and when the outside pads are down to around 4mm, I take the wheels off and make a judgement. I always have a spare set to hand and replace when the the lowest point is down to about 3mm.

Never go on a track day with less than 5mm of brake pad, and always take a spare set with you (front and rear). Some pads can go from new to knackered in half a day on track. It's not much fun, or clever, driving home on the handbrake Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing

Richard.