Brake Disc Protection Plates

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2018, 01:56 PM
BlackBetty78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Disc Protection Plates

Hi everyone on this lazy Sunday afternoon

My MOT is coming up and I know before hand that I need new discs n pads on the rear both sides along with caliper repair kits and handbrake shoes but I also noticed that the rear brake disc protection plate are also severly rusted and wondered if Im best to also replace them at the same time? If so where the hell do I buy them from? I did read a post on here about removing them completely and people run cars without any issues when doing so but not sure if that refers to the front or rear brakes?

If somebody could educate me and point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it

Thanks
Old 18 February 2018, 02:12 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

import car parts sell them
Old 18 February 2018, 03:34 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBetty78
Hi everyone on this lazy Sunday afternoon

My MOT is coming up and I know before hand that I need new discs n pads on the rear both sides along with caliper repair kits and handbrake shoes but I also noticed that the rear brake disc protection plate are also severly rusted and wondered if Im best to also replace them at the same time? If so where the hell do I buy them from? I did read a post on here about removing them completely and people run cars without any issues when doing so but not sure if that refers to the front or rear brakes?

If somebody could educate me and point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it

Thanks
I've just had my rusty ones on the rear removed by chevron motorsport, my car only does around 4k a year so not too fussed about having them on and always jet wash around that area anyway to keep everything nice and clean.
Old 18 February 2018, 03:42 PM
BlackBetty78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
I've just had my rusty ones on the rear removed by chevron motorsport, my car only does around 4k a year so not too fussed about having them on and always jet wash around that area anyway to keep everything nice and clean.
Cheers Madscoob just looked on their website.......surprised how expensive they are to be honest £75 a side by looks of it.

My car only does 5/6000 a year also I might just have them removed I can think of better things to buy for the car for that kinda money
Old 18 February 2018, 03:58 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBetty78

Cheers Madscoob just looked on their website.......surprised how expensive they are to be honest £75 a side by looks of it.

My car only does 5/6000 a year also I might just have them removed I can think of better things to buy for the car for that kinda money
it is my understanding that if i were to have a big brake conversion then i would lose them anyway so dont worry about ditching them.

Old 18 February 2018, 04:37 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
it is my understanding that if i were to have a big brake conversion then i would lose them anyway so dont worry about ditching them.

WRONG.

The rear brake backing plate is where the hand brake mechanism is mounted. It is only the very outer spotwelded section that is sometimes removed for a big brake kit.
Even fitting Alcons doesn't require any alteration to the backing plate as the disks/bells and caliper mounting brackets are designed to allow for it.

If the outer section has rot, the spot welds can be drilled out and the offending item removed.

If you are talking front disks then a different story, the dust shields are usually removed

Old 19 February 2018, 09:11 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

unusual for the whole of the rear backing plate to be rusted - normally its the outer rim return which is simply spot welded in place and will be removed very easily with no impact on the Handbrake assembly
Old 19 February 2018, 09:19 AM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Is them plates beneficial to the brakes or is it just for dust and dirt ?

I only do <4k a year and always have my suspension spotless and was wondering about ditching them to when I fit the new discs and pads

I know a few track lads that ditch them as they can overheat the breaks
Old 19 February 2018, 12:06 PM
BlackBetty78
Scooby Regular

In fairness AS from what I can see it is the outer edge that looks heavily corroded I've not had the wheels off yet to have a proper look. If that's the case then I may have them removed when rear discs and pads are changed and calipers are repaired as they look like crud if everything else is nice and shiny new.