Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes and Discs for 450bhp give me the truth and nothing but the truth!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2017, 10:15 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes and Discs for 450bhp give me the truth and nothing but the truth!

Right guys from your experience i need a pad and disc set up all around for my sti Widetrack (brembo calipers) that has good cold bite and doesn't squeal and squeak like and drives you nuts.

i have seen the rc5/6 and pfc z rated pads and read about people complaining they do make noises and leaving material on their alloys . What would be the best options to avoid this if any as yes i know a more aggressive pad will act and behave differently than a standard pad because of the material.
But i was wondering if anyone has such a set up that its excellent from cold to hot and don't make a racket and be able to handle the power at the same time It will be used mainly for fast road use and maybe one track day a year so nothing too aggressive.

What do you guys recommend based on your experiences ? Any help or info would be appreciated

Last edited by nufctoon; 15 November 2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:34 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Ferodo 2500s here with DBA T3 slotted discs.
600hp Hawkeye. 20000 miles road use on them so far and haven't faded them yet.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got to say I like the Ferrodo DS2500 as well, tried quite a few pads over the years and these have been the best all rounder... they don't eat your discs and the pad material doesn't disintegrate when half worn like some of the supposedly "better" pads seem to do... they also last for around 20k... obviously that's going to depend on how and where your car is driven, mine went backwards and forwards across Europe a few times, so didn't use them up in the same way you would on a b road blast.

They don't squeal, good bite from cold and I never managed to fade them on the road with AP 4 pots and Godspeed 2 piece bells and rotors, you do get some dust, but thats going to happen with any pad... you'll just need to buy some fancy wheel protector if that's an issue and wash them more often.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:05 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

performance friction z's get my vote.

good road pad and cold bite, but put up with track time well too.

The godspeed 2 piece discs are good, the PF 2 piece discs are better but significantly more expensive.
Old 16 November 2017, 01:12 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

I've had experience with a ferodo pad a few years back on my clio 172 and didn't find them good from cold at all to be honest. They wouldn't work well until they were warm or hot. So don't know if they've changed anything since material wise? Do they squeak?

would i really need 2 piece discs for mainly normal and fast road use 95% ?
Friction z pads seem to sqeak quite a lot as i know someone that has these on his scooby
Old 16 November 2017, 06:31 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Well an odd ball from me, I hate the ds2500s, no confidence, got to stamp on them hard to make them work etc, but then again I've had the aggressive pads to compare against.
My motto is you can have best of both worlds.
Old 16 November 2017, 07:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm with Busta on this....They come with AP calipers as standard,and they gave me no confidence whatsoever when I upgraded to them very wooden until hot.I now have Performance Friction 08 pads and for my driving style they work superb.I have also used pads from carbone Lorraine RC5+which are also very good.SJ.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:23 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Well an odd ball from me, I hate the ds2500s, no confidence, got to stamp on them hard to make them work etc, but then again I've had the aggressive pads to compare against.
My motto is you can have best of both worlds.
i had them on a previous car and on a cold day they were poor from the word go until they get hot and then they weren't too bad but you cant really get them the heat they need in minus temps and ice on the roads lol
Old 16 November 2017, 11:25 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I'm with Busta on this....They come with AP calipers as standard,and they gave me no confidence whatsoever when I upgraded to them very wooden until hot.I now have Performance Friction 08 pads and for my driving style they work superb.I have also used pads from carbone Lorraine RC5+which are also very good.SJ.
whats your driving style? Fast road use? Rc5 do they squeal and give off them deposits that eat at your alloys?
Old 16 November 2017, 11:49 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

I've never ever had an issue with cold bite on mine with the ds2500.

My car is plenty quick and has never struggled to stop , ever.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:51 PM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
I've never ever had an issue with cold bite on mine with the ds2500.

My car is plenty quick and has never struggled to stop , ever.
what power are you running mate and which discs?
Old 17 November 2017, 12:34 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want proper braking performance you have to put up with some noise. If quietness is top of your priority list then by all means go for DS2500, but RC5+ and PF08 are on another level and only slightly louder while RC6 and Carbotech XP10 squeal like tortured pigs but make DS2500 feel like blocks of wet ice.
Old 17 November 2017, 12:37 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
If you want proper braking performance you have to put up with some noise. If quietness is top of your priority list then by all means go for DS2500, but RC5+ and PF08 are on another level and only slightly louder while RC6 and Carbotech XP10 squeal like tortured pigs but make DS2500 feel like blocks of wet ice.
much difference between rc5 and rc6?

what discs do people recommend?
Old 17 November 2017, 12:08 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nufctoon
what power are you running mate and which discs?
North of 600hp and I have DBA T3 slotted discs and DS2500 pads.
Haven't used them on track yet but I've not had a single issue in 20000 miles road use on them.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:07 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine ap 362 are with ferodo ds2500 and Yes cold bite is not best
Best cold bite i had with ebc blue but ferodo lasts a lot more mileges
Old 17 November 2017, 05:27 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

much difference between rc5 and rc6?

what discs do people recommend?
Not tried RC5 but RC5+ are pretty good for general usage - there is a little bit of noise but IMO really very tolerable.

RC6 are totally different - noisy as hell (totally unsuitable for a daily driver) but excellent bite and fade resistance. They do however run extremely hot as I discovered on track when I melted my piston seals and my calipers changed colour.

Since then I've been using XP10s - if DS2500 are 0 for noise and RC6 are 10, then RC5+ are 3 and XP10 are 6 - but the bite and fade resistance of the Carbotechs is awesome (comparable to RC6), while longevity is outstanding (XP10 last much longer than RC5+ or RC6).

In terms of discs I've never found there to be much difference between single-piece items. I'm currently running a set of Mintex discs that cost £60 from eBay and work just as well as any other one-piece discs I've ever tried.

Last edited by plenty; 17 November 2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:48 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Also to note, because CL are noisy, you will find they don't squeal when upto their operating temps, only on road they will squeal like most aggressive pads, but they will out perform your tyres etc on track and won't squeal when hot. Now the opposite will happen with opposite pads, good on road, won't squeal, work all the time etc, but then won't last long on track, braking effort, fade. But ok for road.
If it's just a road car etc, why not try a basic crap set of pagids from ecp, I bet you would be impressed lol, but won't be upto to hard drive.
So can't have both.
I can only suggest likes of CL rc5+ (better suited to classics etc), rc6 (more suited to newages), cabotech, pagid rs series, PF (there's a few to choose from).

Best bet is to speak to alyn or Ross sport etc about the above pads and find out the best performance with minimal noise (my money would be that they suggest some type of performance pagid pad but not cheap.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:51 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

If you have some top Gucci pads then imo 2 piece discs is not a huge priority just for the costs as Gucci pads work full stop.

CL, CARBOTECH, PF, PAGID RS etc would be my only choice, you just need to find the type you want from medium to hardcore.
Old 17 November 2017, 11:58 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

whats your driving style? Fast road use? Rc5 do they squeal and give off them deposits that eat at your alloys?
In all honesty I am hard on brakes thats why I have used so many different pad compounds on numearous brake set ups over the years to find out which ones do the job properly,I know what works...The advice given by "plenty" and Busta is spot on,my personal favourite being the Performance Friction Compounds,they work so good with minimal noise, but saying that...most performance pads will give off noise and more dust compared to standard O.E pads,but that is the trade off for better braking performance I'm afraid.SJ.
Old 18 November 2017, 12:24 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

I used DS2500 on classic Subaru 4 pots and found them very good, also used EBC reds before hand and they fell to bits on track after less than 200 miles! I now have K-sports and have just got to the point where the disks and pads need changed. Standard disks and DS2500 pads. They have been great. Good on the road and faultless on track. I’ve just got new disks and pads and have gone to PF pads to see if there’s any difference.
Old 18 November 2017, 12:48 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
North of 600hp and I have DBA T3 slotted discs and DS2500 pads.
Haven't used them on track yet but I've not had a single issue in 20000 miles road use on them.
on a standard brembo caliper?
Old 18 November 2017, 12:48 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Mine ap 362 are with ferodo ds2500 and Yes cold bite is not best
Best cold bite i had with ebc blue but ferodo lasts a lot more mileges
fair enough so they give more life out of these pads
Old 18 November 2017, 12:50 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
Not tried RC5 but RC5+ are pretty good for general usage - there is a little bit of noise but IMO really very tolerable.

RC6 are totally different - noisy as hell (totally unsuitable for a daily driver) but excellent bite and fade resistance. They do however run extremely hot as I discovered on track when I melted my piston seals and my calipers changed colour.

Since then I've been using XP10s - if DS2500 are 0 for noise and RC6 are 10, then RC5+ are 3 and XP10 are 6 - but the bite and fade resistance of the Carbotechs is awesome (comparable to RC6), while longevity is outstanding (XP10 last much longer than RC5+ or RC6).

In terms of discs I've never found there to be much difference between single-piece items. I'm currently running a set of Mintex discs that cost £60 from eBay and work just as well as any other one-piece discs I've ever tried.
cheers for that a very good post with the type of detail im seeking with this thread. Will definitely be taking this on board
Old 18 November 2017, 12:55 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Also to note, because CL are noisy, you will find they don't squeal when upto their operating temps, only on road they will squeal like most aggressive pads, but they will out perform your tyres etc on track and won't squeal when hot. Now the opposite will happen with opposite pads, good on road, won't squeal, work all the time etc, but then won't last long on track, braking effort, fade. But ok for road.
If it's just a road car etc, why not try a basic crap set of pagids from ecp, I bet you would be impressed lol, but won't be upto to hard drive.
So can't have both.
I can only suggest likes of CL rc5+ (better suited to classics etc), rc6 (more suited to newages), cabotech, pagid rs series, PF (there's a few to choose from).

Best bet is to speak to alyn or Ross sport etc about the above pads and find out the best performance with minimal noise (my money would be that they suggest some type of performance pagid pad but not cheap.
I get what your saying about the pagid pads lol its the fact my cars running more power than standard i feel i need more of a aggressive pad as it'll benefit from more if a hard bite as i currently have brembo pads and they are crap! What type of pf pad would you say would do the job on a fast road and maybe odd occasion track use? I don't think I'll be settling for a complete silent pad all things considered from what i want but cant be having the pads thats louder than the exhaust lol... cheers

Last edited by nufctoon; 18 November 2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 18 November 2017, 12:59 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
In all honesty I am hard on brakes thats why I have used so many different pad compounds on numearous brake set ups over the years to find out which ones do the job properly,I know what works...The advice given by "plenty" and Busta is spot on,my personal favourite being the Performance Friction Compounds,they work so good with minimal noise, but saying that...most performance pads will give off noise and more dust compared to standard O.E pads,but that is the trade off for better braking performance I'm afraid.SJ.
fair enough i knew there wouldn't be a pad that can do both in terms of superior in stopping power and silence when stopping especially when they are cold but don't want an over loud pad either i just can't stand the noise lol

Last edited by nufctoon; 18 November 2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 18 November 2017, 01:01 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
I used DS2500 on classic Subaru 4 pots and found them very good, also used EBC reds before hand and they fell to bits on track after less than 200 miles! I now have K-sports and have just got to the point where the disks and pads need changed. Standard disks and DS2500 pads. They have been great. Good on the road and faultless on track. I’ve just got new disks and pads and have gone to PF pads to see if there’s any difference.
what discs did you go for? Fair enough mate drop your feedback in here if you like, see how you get on with them

Last edited by nufctoon; 18 November 2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 18 November 2017, 01:06 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

I’ve went for Godspeed’s disks with J hooks. Hopefully get them fitted this weekend. Will see some track use but not till next year. The only reason for the change of pads was to see if they’re any different. If you don’t try, you’ll never know however I was always happy with the ds2500’s
Old 18 November 2017, 01:10 AM
nufctoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
I’ve went for Godspeed’s disks with J hooks. Hopefully get them fitted this weekend. Will see some track use but not till next year. The only reason for the change of pads was to see if they’re any different. If you don’t try, you’ll never know however I was always happy with the ds2500’s
you know what they say right? If it ain't broke... lol

I'm very fussy and the kind of person that wants to just get it right before i spend out on it all. Else to me personally it will be a waste of money if they don't do the job right tbh. Just looking to get the best i can get with people's true opinions and recommendations from what they have used. As its easy to say i heard or read that these are good! Naa.. i prefer when people have tried and tested them so i know what im getting myself into exactly

Last edited by nufctoon; 18 November 2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 18 November 2017, 01:22 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying but I did speak to Ian and he recommended the PF’s so will see how it goes. No point sticking with as is if there’s better out there
Old 18 November 2017, 08:50 AM
Chrisp11981
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Brembo Sport HP2000 on my blob, nice and quiet, work well from cold (I think better than standard) and can take a bit of punishment, probably more suited to fast road rather than track but miles better than standard (night and day). Not got them to fade yet but I'm not really heavy on the brakes.

Chris.