Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

17" te37 rays. newage wrx

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2017, 08:18 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" te37 rays. newage wrx

Hi i currently have a set of revo milleniums 17" on my 2004 wrx. My project for the new year is looking into improving things where weight is concerned and ive been reading about how reducing unsprung weight will improve all aspects of how the car performs.

So i have found that my current rim alone weighs about 10.5kg (thanks google)

i like the look of rays te37's as they are a similar style to what i have and is it correct that they weigh a shade under 7kg for a 17" x 7.5j?

Im thinking i will defo feel 3.5 kg off each corner!

Ive seen a few sets knocking about the internet second hand and the going rate looks about £1k second hand with tyres.

What size do i need to be looking out for.... 5x100 17" x 7.5j and what offset? And how do i ensure they are genuine rays te37s? bang them on the scales? i assume with a tyre fitted they should be about 17kg each?

thanks
Old 24 August 2017, 10:03 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

First of all bravo for prioritising unsprung weight and handling - it seem folks nowadays seem to care more about bolting on huge and wide wheels for looks, not bothered that their cars drive terribly as a result...

Having said that my experience suggests that it's best not get your hopes too up on a massive improvement - the 3.5 kg saving could easily be cancelled out by your choice of tyre as tyres vary massively in weight (performance-orientated tyres with reinforced sidewall tend to weigh more). IMO it's not worth the money to upgrade from your Revos, especially as they look so similar. Or course, there are scene points to be had from sporting RAYS.

Not sure about the prevalence of fakes, but genuine RAYS will have RAYS stamped on the inside of the spokes, and weighing them should reveal all. You won't go wrong with an ET of 45 or 48.

Last edited by plenty; 24 August 2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 24 August 2017, 12:18 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will feel 3.5kg per corner, that's a huge weight saving. Wheels are a fantastic place to save weight, so many gains to be had saving weight there. Some of my wheels are as light as 5.8kg 17x8

On a road car you won't see any gains, track or competition car you will