Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

CL RC5 will they eat standard dics?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2017, 06:25 PM
Si w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CL RC5 will they eat standard dics?

As the title says. I drive normally most of the time with occasional thrashings now and then. Cars a 2005 ppp wagon. My current kevlar pads are fine for normal pootling abou, but fade horribly after braking hard for more than two corners in quick succession.

CL RC5s get good reviews but its hard to know if the reviewers are on standard discs.
Old 26 February 2017, 07:14 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Any pad that will not fade will be more aggressive then a standard compound pad, so it will always be a balance, if you want that harder braking you will need discs a little sooner, discs have to be cheaper then failing to stop lol
Old 26 February 2017, 08:29 PM
Si w
Scooby Regular

Absolutely agree with you there! I just cant stretch to discs as well at the moment, but i have to do something about the substandard stopping I currently have! I dont drive hard that often. I justwanted to check i wouldnt lunch the standard discs with one spirited drive.

I just re-read my title!!

Last edited by Si w; 26 February 2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 26 February 2017, 09:15 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Then I'd say that if the discs are in good condition with no grooves and say, 50% meat left on them, just go for the pads.
As already said, just factor in the cost of new discs as they will wear faster.

Be warned though that CL RC5 pads do squeal. Seriously good stopping power though.
Great initial bite. Far more so than the standard setup.
Old 26 February 2017, 09:44 PM
Si w
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses. Just been reading up on how noisy these pads are. This is a big no no for me. Back to the drawing board!
Old 27 February 2017, 12:33 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Not as much as you think if a good quality disc, them pads will squeak until upto operating temperature like on track and won't make a single noise when upto temp.
It's a choice between a track pad and road pad I'm afraid.
You might be better off with PF pads, but if you're on wrx calipers then you'll just keep on spending and wasting money.
Old 27 February 2017, 01:29 PM
Si w
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats the thing though. I dont drive hard enough to be at optimum temps all the time. My current pads squeak and it drives me mental, so I really want to avoid it.

I realise im pretty limited with the standard setup. When ive got the cash to swap out the pony standard wrx callipers and discs, i will do. I just wanted something a bit more heat resistent than the kevlars for the time being.

Ive ordered brembo sport pads after reading they are similar to ds2500, but with more cold bite. Hopefully this is true!

Last edited by Si w; 27 February 2017 at 01:30 PM.