Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Hard Turbo Inlet Pipe, APS/AP/AMS etc

Old 10 October 2016, 07:08 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Turbo Inlet Pipe, APS/AP/AMS etc

Folks does anyone have a hard Turbo inlet pipe for sale, as I've got a Samco on at the mo but it's starting to get sucked in above 5.5k rip in 5th gear.

Cheers

Marc
Old 10 October 2016, 07:36 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Best bet is to get a custom one made from any ally welder
Old 10 October 2016, 07:52 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Best bet is to get a custom one made from any ally welder
Was thinking that, as its the best part of £300 from the states for the AP one.
Old 10 October 2016, 09:37 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
Was thinking that, as its the best part of £300 from the states for the AP one.
Yep I know and don't see them pop up that often and if you don't get the correct silicone coupler it can cause a bad kink in it which will restrict flow, they only a straight pipe with silicone joiners.
The Subaru manifolds have a offset turbo to inlet depending what manifold is fitted, so best making a copy of your current Samco out of a ally pipe.
Old 11 October 2016, 06:37 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Yep I know and don't see them pop up that often and if you don't get the correct silicone coupler it can cause a bad kink in it which will restrict flow, they only a straight pipe with silicone joiners.
The Subaru manifolds have a offset turbo to inlet depending what manifold is fitted, so best making a copy of your current Samco out of a ally pipe.
Old 11 October 2016, 08:00 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds familiar eh Marc...........
Old 11 October 2016, 09:35 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WUZ
Sounds familiar eh Marc...........
Shut it :P
Old 12 October 2016, 07:11 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there anywhere in the U.K. That sell the ap pipes?
Old 12 October 2016, 09:30 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Is there anywhere in the U.K. That sell the ap pipes?
Not that I've found, and I've emailed AP about posting to the UK and heard **** all back.
Old 12 October 2016, 09:35 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't buy one tbh, the way the coupler sits it not encouraging
Old 12 October 2016, 09:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

As said, depends on inlet manifold clearance.
But just an example

Be a dam site cheaper to get one made than paying the hefty price of them, custom will be a better kink
Old 13 October 2016, 07:26 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

As said, depends on inlet manifold clearance.
But just an example

Be a dam site cheaper to get one made than paying the hefty price of them, custom will be a better kink
That is a F*****G DISASTER!

EPIC FAIL,,,,,,,
Old 13 October 2016, 07:46 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Doesn't need to be solid just good quality as mine all silicone and doesn't collapse at all
Old 14 October 2016, 12:05 AM
jody0702
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Doesn't need to be solid just good quality as mine all silicone and doesn't collapse at all
I got an aps one on nasioc a few years back, they pop up more over there for sale. Mine came with two couplers that are offset as shown on bustas pics. One of them is larger for bigger turbos. I did mine in situ which I would advise against and would take the inlet off and put spacers in that too while at it. The offset coupler actually works well when fitted correctly as it has to get round the inside back edge of manifold. As busta said best do it custom. Take off the inlet and put spacers in, 2 benefits as keeps the manifold cool and more clearance for intake. Once the inlets off you can really see and plan how u want ur intake. Also check and replace with new or better the fuel lines that run under the inlet once off. As I left my inlet on and had to twist n turn n swear n shout tryin to get the inlet in I caught one of the fuel lines but didn't notice til id put it mostly back together again. I also managed to brake a pipe off the purge control solenoid so that's why I say about taking the inlet off!! The spacers with the o rings in are good as u don't need 2 sets of gaskets for each side!
Old 14 October 2016, 07:03 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jody0702
I got an aps one on nasioc a few years back, they pop up more over there for sale. Mine came with two couplers that are offset as shown on bustas pics. One of them is larger for bigger turbos. I did mine in situ which I would advise against and would take the inlet off and put spacers in that too while at it. The offset coupler actually works well when fitted correctly as it has to get round the inside back edge of manifold. As busta said best do it custom. Take off the inlet and put spacers in, 2 benefits as keeps the manifold cool and more clearance for intake. Once the inlets off you can really see and plan how u want ur intake. Also check and replace with new or better the fuel lines that run under the inlet once off. As I left my inlet on and had to twist n turn n swear n shout tryin to get the inlet in I caught one of the fuel lines but didn't notice til id put it mostly back together again. I also managed to brake a pipe off the purge control solenoid so that's why I say about taking the inlet off!! The spacers with the o rings in are good as u don't need 2 sets of gaskets for each side!

Iv done plenty of them now without removing the inlet or using spacers lol , my current one is a forced performance one and is a 83mm inlet and still didn't have any problems fitting it with everything still in place ,, running 531bhp without any sign of collapse
Old 10 November 2016, 07:38 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Well tried fitting an RCM pipe and had no luck as it kept popping off the Turbo as we tried to line up the Inlet manifold. In the end put the sh1te Samco one back on that turned out to be only 3 layer and put some steel pipe inside it to make do for the time being. Power dropped from 470 to 420 just by fitting the rings inside.

Rotated will cure the issue, it'll also cost a few ££££
Old 10 November 2016, 08:10 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking at getting a samco inlet hose for my jdm blob would it collapse with 350hp and 8k rev limit
Old 10 November 2016, 08:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Well tried fitting an RCM pipe and had no luck as it kept popping off the Turbo as we tried to line up the Inlet manifold. In the end put the sh1te Samco one back on that turned out to be only 3 layer and put some steel pipe inside it to make do for the time being. Power dropped from 470 to 420 just by fitting the rings inside.

Which rcm one? What car version inlet is it etc?

I'm running a lateral one, although it looks crap in blue lol but does the job well even at 2bar. It's ribbed with metal inside.

The rcm ones should be as good I'd of thought, depending if correct kink for manifold used.
Old 10 November 2016, 08:19 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

You fitted one of these? http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/st...induction-hose
Old 11 November 2016, 08:51 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

It's this one:

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/st...bo-intake-pipe

Good piece of kit but kink to connect to the turbo was no way near enough. Car is a 2.5 UK STi running an MD321V and inlet spacers. I did think about buying a Spec C manifold to give some more room and adjust the up-pipe over to the right to allow the inlet pipe to fit straight in.

I think we'll try and adjust the up-pipe to see how much wiggle room there is, if that gives us any more room then I'll look at the lateral one from mark.

Marc
Old 11 November 2016, 09:36 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

You lost 50bhp from the pipe :O

Did it have 1/2" wall thickness lol.
Old 11 November 2016, 03:23 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Which rcm one? What car version inlet is it etc?

I'm running a lateral one, although it looks crap in blue lol but does the job well even at 2bar. It's ribbed with metal inside.

The rcm ones should be as good I'd of thought, depending if correct kink for manifold used.
Have you any pics of yours? I was either thinking the Perrin one or the hard pipe ap one but it put me Off of the bad kink to the turbo with the ap. is your lateral one 3"
Old 11 November 2016, 04:21 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

It's this one:

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/st...bo-intake-pipe

Good piece of kit but kink to connect to the turbo was no way near enough. Car is a 2.5 UK STi running an MD321V and inlet spacers. I did think about buying a Spec C manifold to give some more room and adjust the up-pipe over to the right to allow the inlet pipe to fit straight in.

I think we'll try and adjust the up-pipe to see how much wiggle room there is, if that gives us any more room then I'll look at the lateral one from mark.

Marc
Have to rang rcm to tell them? Could be a few different ones as some manifolds don't come in the way as much.
I know rcm do a specific precision turbo pipe as they say in listing something todo with turbo sitting off centre.
It should fit perfectly as per their listings, if it doesn't then I'd be onto them to tell them.

Have you any pics of yours? I was either thinking the Perrin one or the hard pipe ap one but it put me Off of the bad kink to the turbo with the ap. is your lateral one 3"
The best imo out of all would be a custom one tig wielded, be cheaper than them ones, I was meant to be getting one made when I thought mine was collapsing under boost because I was down on power but the reason I was down on power was my hg was failing which I later confirmed so not overly bothered about one now although would look nicer as blue one I have dosent match with owt.
No, my lateral is the stock size 63 I think but you can get the bigger ones too.
The lateral one fits perfect and I'll see if I can dig one out but not sure if I got one.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 11 November 2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11 November 2016, 04:31 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Cheers, yeah I've looked into getting one made aswell. Only thing that puts me off it that there isn't much room for error when making them.
Old 11 November 2016, 04:41 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Cheers, yeah I've looked into getting one made aswell. Only thing that puts me off it that there isn't much room for error when making them.
Yes agree, best to copy your one slightly that has the right angles and then just buy a silicone joiner to meet the turbo.

Can't find a picture at hand, I reformatted my iPad and sent all pics over to laptop for storage so I think if I've got any, will be in my thread. Sorry.
Old 11 November 2016, 04:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I might be able to get a few made all at once from a guy local 'apw engineering' in Barnsley.
Google of search on facebook for the quality of their work, they do all sorts from full exhausts to manifold for skyline engines etc across Europe.
But he's always busy and hard to fit me in unless I hassle him, it's only a small job mine compared to their regular work.
But if I can get a decent size order in then it may sway him if there's enough interest like say 10 people. (Group buy anyone?)
Old 11 November 2016, 04:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I've got my lateral one I can copy.
Old 11 November 2016, 06:18 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested if it's not too long away
The few I've emailed around my area don't seem to be interested
Old 11 November 2016, 08:21 PM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

me to
Old 11 November 2016, 08:41 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
You lost 50bhp from the pipe :O

Did it have 1/2" wall thickness lol.
Yeah, just wanted to make sure it didn't collapse!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Turbo Inlet Pipe, APS/AP/AMS etc