Notices

Pulling her off for a bit....

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2012, 07:31 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling her off for a bit....

Hey folks, after a bit of advice regarding de-commissioning (so to speak) the car for 6 months...

Me and t'other half are just about completed on the purchase of a new house. Because of the costs imvolved( solicitors, deposits etc etc) ive made the decision to take the car if the road for now.
She's due a cam belt change now, along with a new a
Set of tyres, the suspension could do with a review along with a couple if other things, I really can't justify spending all that dolly on a car which I barely use once a week, sometimes it doesn't move for a month or So.All this coupled with the fact that my mrs has a decent enough car as a run around, I have my own van I use for my business, as well as my own Toyota hilux which is due to be back on the road in the next month, ready for the arctic weather we will probably have, something's got to give.

So, is there anything special I need to do? I'll disconnect the battery and keep that in a normal temp environment, is it worth me dropping the oil or anything else? Would it be wise to start/ run her for half an hour once a month to keep the wheels churning ( obviously I wouldn't drop the oil if I were to do this).

Gonna be a bit gutted not to use her, but needs must, and I still have my motocross bike if I feel the urge to get the adrenalin pumping!

Thanks in advance, hope everyone is well,

Rob

Last edited by The Sheep Worrier; 18 July 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 18 July 2012, 07:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rob,

How long do most cars spend idle? I have seen forecourt cars siting for months at Main Dealers then being test driven without much prep, if any at all.

Make sure that the interior is dry, a good wax applied, get a good car cover, a quick run every now and then up to normal temperatures should be OK.

We'll miss you dude!
Old 18 July 2012, 08:03 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Echo the above has to be done, good luck with the purchase buddy see you when you come out of hiding

It will give Max's heart a rest anyway
Old 18 July 2012, 08:13 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

If you are washing her before storing make sure you give the car a good run to clear any water out of the brakes. I've had a few issues with sticky calipers after a good wash then parking up for a week or two
Old 18 July 2012, 09:22 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well rob if you got to do it buddy. You got to do it..!

Think its all been covered in the above posts, some good advice there, 6 months will soon pass..

Last edited by IB Jose; 07 January 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 22 July 2012, 09:57 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Rob,

How long do most cars spend idle? I have seen forecourt cars siting for months at Main Dealers then being test driven without much prep, if any at all.

Make sure that the interior is dry, a good wax applied, get a good car cover, a quick run every now and then up to normal temperatures should be OK.

We'll miss you dude!

Thankyou for all your replies guys, sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner but my laptop has been givving me aggro the last couple of days with the screen ****ed now!

Thanks ian, any recommendations regarding a car cover? She will be in a secure lock-up but as you say i think itll be wise to cover her up properly and give her a wax. Would you say start and run once a month would be suffice?

Thanks again
Old 22 July 2012, 10:03 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
Echo the above has to be done, good luck with the purchase buddy see you when you come out of hiding

It will give Max's heart a rest anyway

Thanks Merv, stressful buisness this house moving, im lucky with the mrs being a teacher she is very organised, so all i seem to have to do is sign my life away as i know it and cough up the dollar!!

Haha Max seems to be getting used to it quietly, the '**** me' passenger handle seems to not be getting so much use lately and he dosent need to bring his spare pants along anymore!!

Will catch up with you all soon hopefully, ill have to pop down to a meet in the tranny van or the mrs lil corsa!
Old 22 July 2012, 10:04 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by esp ltd
If you are washing her before storing make sure you give the car a good run to clear any water out of the brakes. I've had a few issues with sticky calipers after a good wash then parking up for a week or two

Thankyou dave, i will beare that in mind, i may even take the wheels off to be honest as a bit of extra security and put her on blocks, will give me chance to get in and get everything cleaned in there properly aswell.

Old 22 July 2012, 10:07 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lee mclaughlan
Well rob if you got to do it buddy. You got to do it..!

Think its all been covered in the above posts, some good advice there, 6 months will soon pass..
Yeah one of them things lee, in all fairness ive had a good old time the in the four or more years or so ive had her, but its time to knuckle down and be sensible for once im afraid

im hoping so, january cant come soon enough!!

Catch you soon buddy.

Last edited by IB Jose; 07 January 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 22 July 2012, 10:12 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I didn't know what to think when I read the thread title, I thought Rob has found himself a ladyboy on mail order.

I wouldn't bother draining the oil, I would get a car cover with a soft inner lining and as it's going to be stored in a lockup I would just buy a generic one rather than a proper fitted cover as they are a lot more expensive.

All the things mentioned above are good precautions, perhaps connect a trickle charger to keep the battery 100% and invest in some silica gel bags (the ones you get with new shoes) and leave them in the car to absorb any moisture or odours.
Old 22 July 2012, 10:24 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I didn't know what to think when I read the thread title, I thought Rob has found himself a ladyboy on mail order.

I wouldn't bother draining the oil, I would get a car cover with a soft inner lining and as it's going to be stored in a lockup I would just buy a generic one rather than a proper fitted cover as they are a lot more expensive.

All the things mentioned above are good precautions, perhaps connect a trickle charger to keep the battery 100% and invest in some silica gel bags (the ones you get with new shoes) and leave them in the car to absorb any moisture or odours.
Haha i shouldve known you would have popped along yet another ghey sexual inuendo!! Any recommendations Johnny wise Ty?

Theres one thing i did forget to ask, come september i will have 8 years NCB with my insurance, so say i cancel it the end of this month, when i go to re-insure it in january will i still have these NCB to use? Cos im ****ed if im starting all over again!!!