Notices

Driving in Austria & Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2002, 11:35 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being originally from Cardiff I thought I would share this with you.

And yes I would love to meet up with some of you at crimbo but I can't becuase.....

If you want to take your Scooby for a good old blast through some challenging, very picturesque countryside, nice twisty A and B's, without being constantly on the look out for those little vans with blacked out windows in laybys and speed cameras hidden behind massive road signs.

Then do what I do, work in Germany have your UK registered scobby with you and then drive down to Austria and Switzerland on weekends to go skiing/snowboarding.

No speed cameras, no old bill, just 100's of Km of twisty windy stuff rising up through the snow capped mountains, sun shinning, roads in good condition and always cleared of snow (major ones at least), some progressive trance on the CD to raise the spirits, but not too loud as to drown out the grunt coming from the flat 4. Girlfriend in the pasenger seat to navigate, OOPS, not a good idea.

Oh what fun I have!!!

I'm going snowboardin over the New Year for a week, just had a new set of Eagle F1's fitted, so good driving, good snowboardin and hopefull some good s2x, if we don't end up killing each other, maybe I should get SatNav fitted as well.

...and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New year to me.

Try it, its the bogs dollox.

See ya all when I get back.

ScoobyDooMe
Old 18 December 2002, 12:51 PM
Catalunya Pete
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoome can I feel a Spting or Summer run to the continent coming on ? How about sorting something out ?

Pete
Old 18 December 2002, 01:49 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Excellent, a gathering in the Alps.....
Old 18 December 2002, 05:16 PM
scoobieblue
Scooby Regular

dont forget the £15 or so needed to drive on the swiss motorways
well it was £15 the last time i was there....1994 ish i think!!
andy
Old 19 December 2002, 08:42 AM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Yes your right, you need a what they call a Vignette to drive in Switzerland and Austria, although I am only driving in Austria and I already have a yearly one for them as I'be been a couple of times this year already.

However, it runs out on the 31st December so i will need to get another one when I come back.

If anyones coming over in Germany or down to Austria/Switzerland next year then let me know.

Btw, if you wan't to open up your car to its fullest then the German Autobahn's are the place to do it. I regularly drive at 110 or 120 sustained and have been upto 140/145. It doesn't seem that fast cos everyone else is doing it.

You get to where you wan't to go alot more quickly, but driving that fast all the time ***** your tyres due to the downforce given by the front and rear and the mpg disapears all together, average 15/16 to the gallon.

It does get a bit demoralising however when your tonking along at 130/140 and a Porsche 911 turbo 4 flashes you to get out of his way.

Bugg@r

ScoobyDooMe