Notices

what coilovers? best value for money?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2012, 09:03 AM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what coilovers? best value for money?

I'm after some coilovers for my blob wrx as I'm wanting to go down the rota grid route.

Is there any reccomendations? I hear bcs being talked about a lot.

Is there any good value for money coilovers.

Thanks jamie
Old 24 May 2012, 09:15 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

MeisterR for me .... no compaints and can dial off nicely for brittish roads, yet dial on lovely for track.
Old 24 May 2012, 10:50 AM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

Do you know where I can get these?
Old 24 May 2012, 10:52 AM
BlueBridge Subaru
Former Sponsor

Location: 85-87 Station Road, Queensferry, Flintshire CH5 2TB

b.cs cracking value for money .
Old 24 May 2012, 12:12 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my scoob is on apex from bren but my choice now will be kw variant 3.
Old 24 May 2012, 06:58 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Im curious as to why you're changing?

Im doing the exact same.
Old 24 May 2012, 11:12 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I'm running HSD HR which are little bit firmer,great on track,but if i would go with again with coilovers i would go with KW V3 or Intrax HDA,Nitron 2 way or 3 way

Jura
Old 25 May 2012, 02:24 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Meister R's and BC's = same kit from what I've seen and heard; a few posts I've put up have seen others telling me the same thing, and certainly in pics they appear nearly identical bar colour scheme!
I fitted BC's to my old WRX and found them too hard for the roads in the West Country - not so bad near me, but still very firm.

I've gone for something new and bought a set of Racing Logics from Teigwa Imports at Japfest; at a glance they look a little more chunky and better built than the BC's, but truth will be in the testing - having them fitted and setup soon - will let you know how I get on...

Last edited by MrNoisy; 25 May 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 25 May 2012, 04:40 PM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

I don't really want spend a lot on coilovers, just mainly for road use
Old 25 May 2012, 05:54 PM
New_scooby_04

BCs 5/4 Spring rate here. Easily the most compliant coil overs I've had, but the std Hawk suspension is shocking, so anything would be an improvement lol. If you're coming from a WRX you might find the change in softness between std springs and coilovers a bit of a culture shock.

Two rules when fitting suspension

1) softer is better for the road- Do not go for silly hard spring rates
2) Always go for a test run in a car fitted with the suspension you're thinking of fitting on the kind of roads you'll be driving on. Suspension choice is VERY subjective and a poor choice will ruin your enjoyment of the car.
Old 25 May 2012, 06:14 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
1) softer is better for the road- Do not go for silly hard spring rates
2) Always go for a test run in a car fitted with the suspension you're thinking of fitting on the kind of roads you'll be driving on. Suspension choice is VERY subjective and a poor choice will ruin your enjoyment of the car.
This a thousand times!

I had stupidly hard coilovers on my Honda Integra DC5 when i bought it as everyone told me they're amazing... but i couldnt have any fun atall on normal roads to ended up changing back to OEM suspension on that and it was tones better, but still too hard for UK roads imo.

On my scooby i've got Apex coilovers (BC Racing but in red) on my STi and i find them perfect compromise for me, but we do have pretty good roads in north Wales compared to the rest of the country. Plus i do a bit of track work so im happy to accept a slightly loss of compliance on the road as that's a trade off you have to make unfortunately
Old 31 May 2012, 11:45 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted some BC coilovers and done a trip to the Nurburgring where they performed incredibly well on both the long drive there and the track. Speak to Bren at Apex and he'll sort out a good deal for you
Old 01 June 2012, 12:39 AM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

+1for apex bc's not to harsh on the road and very good on track
Old 01 June 2012, 05:29 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

i am looking into getting some coilovers on my wrx.Has anyone tried Cusco?
Old 23 July 2012, 05:21 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Finally got my Racing Logic coilovers fitted to my blob STI a few weeks ago to get rid of the horrendous knocking rear shock issue.
They haven't disappointed.

They're a 6/5 spring rate, yet they're about 10 times comfier than my old Apex ones (red BC's) with 5/4 springs I had on my old bugeye WRX, and they don't crash over potholes like the BC's did, yet I'm running the exact same wheel and tyre combo I had on my old car.

The ride is nearly the same as my old STI shocks with Tein springs, albeit slightly firmer, but I have to say I'm far happier with these.
Just to make it clear, I had geo done after fitting both sets on my two cars so the comparison should be similar.

Hving experienced both, I have to say these really are a better value for money alternative than the Apex's / BC's in my honest opinion, and the fact that I got a better price on them than BC's at Japfest makes that even sweeter . They look better made (the dust boot looks to be a more resistant material, and the height adjustment rings are thicker and more solid looking than those on the BC units) and seem to perform better too.
I'm not surprised Scoobyclinic recommend them (although pls note I didn't buy them from the clinic, I got em from Teigwa).

The only negative point I'd say is that they didn't come with extenders.

Oh, and to add to the points above, wheel size is a factor; if you run 18's as opposed to 17's on a newage, you'll find the ride a little harder, with or without coilovers

Last edited by MrNoisy; 23 July 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 30 September 2012, 01:11 PM
SloSTI
Scooby Newbie

@ Bugeye_Scoob
Thank you very much for your input regarding Racing Logic coilovers.
There are not many reviews to be found about those.
I've purhased them recently but haven't mount them yet as my RB320 set has still some miles to go. So I was really interested in some feedback.

According to your review I've made the right choice .

Thanks,
Andrej

Last edited by SloSTI; 30 September 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 30 September 2012, 02:37 PM
Kartingsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
That is what I have done and the kw's are so much better
Old 30 September 2012, 03:23 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

BC's make good coilovers.
Old 30 September 2012, 04:18 PM
SloSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stonejedi
BC's make good coilovers.
If I might add my 2 Cents;
Seeing BCs in person is just like Bugeye_Scoob said; savings on materials at manufacture (tiny rings f.ex.).
Also there was very good post over on Nasioc forums where guy bought new ones and tested them brand new. His discovery was disturbing at least; from factory left and right coliovers had different characteristic and spring resistance. This means that those are made with huge (parts) tolerances.

Further, one very well known UK Automotive Parts Dealer advised me against while making inquiry for those.

Apparently BC and D2 are sisters from same taiwanese Factory (yes also RL is Taiwan made) and despite being advertised as being used in UK Time Attack series by certain teams and being relatively cheap those are not the best value for money.
Old 01 October 2012, 01:35 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SloSTI
If I might add my 2 Cents;
Seeing BCs in person is just like Bugeye_Scoob said; savings on materials at manufacture (tiny rings f.ex.).
Also there was very good post over on Nasioc forums where guy bought new ones and tested them brand new. His discovery was disturbing at least; from factory left and right coliovers had different characteristic and spring resistance. This means that those are made with huge (parts) tolerances.

Further, one very well known UK Automotive Parts Dealer advised me against while making inquiry for those.

Apparently BC and D2 are sisters from same taiwanese Factory (yes also RL is Taiwan made) and despite being advertised as being used in UK Time Attack series by certain teams and being relatively cheap those are not the best value for money.

Hi there

BC are good coilovers,not as good like KW or other makers,but still are mostly popular due price and feedback from people who running them.This guy who tested them probably used older model,which has been known with those problems

Here are popular due great service from Apex performance,similar is like when you are buying K-sport brakes(D2),many people running them and love them,like we are

We are running HSD HR which are firmer than counterparts,but still they're awesome on the track/drag or fast road driving.Those Racing Logic coilovers looking like our HSD HR in may aspects/details

Personally If I would go again with coilover I would go with Nitron,Intrax HDA(those inserts using EXE-TC) or KW

Jura
Old 01 October 2012, 11:41 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

BC are good coilovers,not as good like KW or other makers,but still are mostly popular due price and feedback from people who running them.This guy who tested them probably used older model,which has been known with those problems

Here are popular due great service from Apex performance,similar is like when you are buying K-sport brakes(D2),many people running them and love them,like we are

We are running HSD HR which are firmer than counterparts,but still they're awesome on the track/drag or fast road driving.Those Racing Logic coilovers looking like our HSD HR in may aspects/details

Personally If I would go again with coilover I would go with Nitron,Intrax HDA(those inserts using EXE-TC) or KW

Jura
I was never truly happy with my old BC's, (which were the Apex branded ones), and found them way too hard a ride.
Build quality was OK, although I thought the lock rings were way too soft and thin, and when you put them side by side with a Racing Logic, the BC unit looks inferior straight away.
My racing logics have been on the car for about 3 months now and I really am very happy with them.
Went to Wiltshire a month ago and went on the same roads that the BC's literally shook the car to pieces on, and the Racing Logics just soaked up the bumps with very little complaint.

You may have read a post from a ScoobyClinic customer who ran a set of both back to back, and said the difference was night and day - he's not wrong, I thought BC's were OK but I'm converted - the RL's are head and shoulders above, trust me.

Apex are fine, I bought my BC's for my old car and my K-Sports from them, no issues at all. I just think the RL's are a far superior product for the same / less money.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 01 October 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01 October 2012, 09:22 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

I am saving for some coilovers for my uk 99 impreza, and was thinking of the bc ones after reading all the reveiws on here.Now i am lost , thinking should i go for the racing logic ones.
I have seen plenty of rusty coilovers for sale and people asking silly money for them,think i would rather buy new.
Old 01 October 2012, 09:57 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Personally I have had BC coilovers on my car for about 3years now and have not had any problems at all,the main thing to do after fitting them is have a complete geometry set up i.e four wheel lazor alignment and check at least once a year,and get the right spring rate for how you intend to use the car and for your own personal comfort and you should be fine.
Old 02 October 2012, 08:00 AM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Ok, many thanks.How have the bc stood up to our weather, did they go rusty very quick.
Old 02 October 2012, 11:39 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Personally I have had BC coilovers on my car for about 3years now and have not had any problems at all,the main thing to do after fitting them is have a complete geometry set up i.e four wheel lazor alignment and check at least once a year,and get the right spring rate for how you intend to use the car and for your own personal comfort and you should be fine.
I think we'll have to disagree on this.
I had a full 4 wheel lazer alignment after fitting the BC's, although it's worth pointing out that will make no difference to the ride itself.
As you correctly stated, the ride will be determined by the springs you choose (but also the height you set).
I went for 5/4 which was supposed to be "comfy" on a newage - but it was anything but, and the height was sensible, not slammed - I designed it specifically to be the same drop as the Prodrive springs I previously had on the car, but it was harder on the BC's.

Also, is your car a classic or a newage? The BC's get better reviews from classic owners because the car is lighter.

On a newage they don't appear to be able to handle the extra weight as effectively as the Racing Logics.
A mate with a Hawkeye STI has had the BC's with 6/5 springs for the last 3 years and says it's very hard. I had mine for 18 months - very hard.

Regarding the state of the them, you tend to find they'll get grubby, like any shock absorber will on wet, dirty UK roads.
I suspect that these will go rusty whatever you buy - my mate runs AST's on his and after several years of ownership they look very tatty.
On a classic, you can always consider going for Ultra SR's or similar from Camskill if you don't want to go as hardcore as coilovers.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 02 October 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02 October 2012, 05:45 PM
Bobby_RStevens
Scooby Regular

Default Your confused :)

It's really good reading this thread....

I am a foolish person that has decided to break into track, sprint and maybe even some hillclimbing with my Bugeye WRX wagon, I know it's prob not the greatest choice of car but I really don't want to sell it and would prefer to give it a year enjoying this and getting to drive better then maybe replace...

Q - I have decided to go for coilovers on the wagon, the car has standard WRX dampers with lowering springs. Speaking with some of the guys on here they tell me that being a wagon I need to include camber bolts on my way forward but what do you recommend for track, event and maybe some road rallies if I can get my license sorted... It's a 52 WRX wagan.

Something like this - HSD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSD-Coilov...item2c685ae208

Or....

Racelogic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACING-LOG...item27bd2a5fc5

I hear talk about spring rate, harder the better for track etc, I am not looking to use the car much on any roads so want the focus on track, do I need to approach suppliers direct and ask for highest rate?

Any advice welcome.

Rgs

Rob.
Old 03 October 2012, 07:15 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

This would be the worms starting to spill out of the can then.....

I had my BC kit fitted yesterday - 2001 bug 4dr.

Yes they are firm, but not so bad that you feel your bits bounce.

PS Bobby R, look at Arnies posts on suspension, or Bonesetter, then you will get a good idea what needs to be done.

If you need any more info that is!

Last edited by wrxyz; 03 October 2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 03 October 2012, 08:43 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Bobby_RStevens
It's really good reading this thread....

I am a foolish person that has decided to break into track, sprint and maybe even some hillclimbing with my Bugeye WRX wagon, I know it's prob not the greatest choice of car but I really don't want to sell it and would prefer to give it a year enjoying this and getting to drive better then maybe replace...

Q - I have decided to go for coilovers on the wagon, the car has standard WRX dampers with lowering springs. Speaking with some of the guys on here they tell me that being a wagon I need to include camber bolts on my way forward but what do you recommend for track, event and maybe some road rallies if I can get my license sorted... It's a 52 WRX wagan.

Something like this - HSD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSD-Coilov...item2c685ae208

Or....

Racelogic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACING-LOG...item27bd2a5fc5

I hear talk about spring rate, harder the better for track etc, I am not looking to use the car much on any roads so want the focus on track, do I need to approach suppliers direct and ask for highest rate?

Any advice welcome.

Rgs

Rob.
Given that I have run BC's and Racing Logics on Imprezas I've owned, I can offer a true comparison, which is that the Racing Logics handle better, and are better built, AND the price I got mine for was cheaper than the price of the inferior (in my personal eyes) BC's from Apex.

With that in mind, it's a no brainer, especially with some of the stories I still see about rear BC units failing after 18-24 months (admittedly mine hadn't failed after 18 months but you do see a significant number of posts about knocking rears).

In terms of HSD's, sorry no idea. I'd have imagined if they were this cheap and that good that everyone would be raving about them, but tbh I don't know anyone with them fitted so can't comment mate sorry.
I had previously thought HSD's were just re-branded BC's, same as the Apex ones are, but the picture in that eBay advert clearly shows they're not.

P.S. If you go to a show and visit a Teigwa stand you'll likely get a better deal on Racing Logics than the price you see there.
I paid £630 delivered for mine 5 months ago.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 03 October 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03 October 2012, 03:41 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Given that I have run BC's and Racing Logics on Imprezas I've owned, I can offer a true comparison, which is that the Racing Logics handle better, and are better built, AND the price I got mine for was cheaper than the price of the inferior (in my personal eyes) BC's from Apex.

With that in mind, it's a no brainer, especially with some of the stories I still see about rear BC units failing after 18-24 months (admittedly mine hadn't failed after 18 months but you do see a significant number of posts about knocking rears).

In terms of HSD's, sorry no idea. I'd have imagined if they were this cheap and that good that everyone would be raving about them, but tbh I don't know anyone with them fitted so can't comment mate sorry.
I had previously thought HSD's were just re-branded BC's, same as the Apex ones are, but the picture in that eBay advert clearly shows they're not.

P.S. If you go to a show and visit a Teigwa stand you'll likely get a better deal on Racing Logics than the price you see there.
I paid £630 delivered for mine 5 months ago.

BC/Meister/Apex/D2/K-Sport/Megan and few others are almost same,just different branding and all are made in same company( Bor-Chuann/BC )...

We are running HSD HR as I said before,they're firmer than BC because they're using different spring rate,THEY'RE NOT same or re-branded BC,because HSD are made in Korea(HD Systems),this company making few aftermarket suspensions/coilovers for JDM makers...

Same I can say about the racing Logic coilovers,never heard of them and no reviews at the time when we are bought HSD..

For track car would say,he will need different spring rate.

Jura
Old 04 October 2012, 09:34 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by jura11
BC/Meister/Apex/D2/K-Sport/Megan and few others are almost same,just different branding and all are made in same company( Bor-Chuann/BC )...

We are running HSD HR as I said before,they're firmer than BC because they're using different spring rate,THEY'RE NOT same or re-branded BC,because HSD are made in Korea(HD Systems),this company making few aftermarket suspensions/coilovers for JDM makers...

Same I can say about the racing Logic coilovers,never heard of them and no reviews at the time when we are bought HSD..

For track car would say,he will need different spring rate.

Jura
Racing Logics were offered to me with 8/6, 7/5 and 6/5 IIRC.
Scooby Clinic have been offering them as a product for over a year now. Given their reputation I would say that's definitely a positive on its own - those guys don't stock stuff that doesn't work, and if they do, they withdraw it.

BTW just wanted to reiterate - I never said HSD's were re-branded BC's - said I thought they were, and then looked at the picks and withdrew the comment
However, if HSD's are firmer than BC's maybe it explains the price a little; I know a lot of people with newage cars buy coilovers when their standard shocks start to knock; whilst some people only use their cars on the track and strip, many like myself have to use the car every day and want a comfortable solution that performs well but won't rattle your fillings out.
I guess this is why the ones which provide the best of both worlds like AST's and KW3's are the ones which command the highest price tag!

To be honest, I would have preferred to have gone with a standard setup but I just couldn't find anything other than coilovers on the UK market that would fit a widetrack.

3 or 4 people who had a ride in my old car on BC's and then in the new car on Racing Logics have commented how much more comfortable the ride is; that's what I was after, and that's what I've got so I'm happy.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 04 October 2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: what coilovers? best value for money?