Notices

Camber plates, too much for a road car?

Old 16 May 2012, 12:29 AM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber plates, too much for a road car?

I will be having some suspension work done over the next few weeks, but I was wondering if adjustable camber plates are too much for a road car?

Car is a jdm bug sti, currently in Bc br coilovers which will be replaced by Kw variant 3, which do not come with top mounts, old ones went in the bin , I didnt think I would need them again, so its a choice between the standard rubber top mounts or camber plates (or maybe rubber top mounts with camber bolts front and rear).

I know geometry settings make a difference, but just wondering if aggressive geometry settings are actually something I would notice on car that spends most of her time on the road?

I do like to drive fast at times, there is 20 mile long country road with some good straights and a good few twisties that I drive down quite frequently.

The car already has alk, droplinks all round, and rear arb.
Old 16 May 2012, 06:21 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'm running BCs with camber plates on the front, fine on the road
Old 16 May 2012, 03:50 PM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

Go camber plates and flip them right to left to gain more caster
Old 16 May 2012, 08:30 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

At the very least I'd look into STi Group N topmounts rather than the standard one's. The OEM hats are too soft to deal properly with the increased spring rate. You'll get a bit of unwanted bounce just from the topmounts.

On the whole and rose jointed upper mount like a camber plate will transmit some NVH through to the cabin. Some of it is good, i.e more steering feel. Some clunking and banging might not be so nice. The clunks tend to happen as the bearing starts to develop a bit of play. High end bearings tend to stay quiet longer. But to be honest, if you're not looking to exceed the OEM camber ability then there's no real need for camber plates. The extra caster you can get from them is definitely a handling plus and being able to toss in a bit of camber beyond stock is a nice option. Its just up to you if you can take the potential noise. If you could handle it on the BC's you'll be able to put up with it on our KWs
Old 18 May 2012, 02:37 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by goffemannen
Go camber plates and flip them right to left to gain more caster

I didnt know you could do that! Thanks for the tip!
Old 18 May 2012, 02:40 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
At the very least I'd look into STi Group N topmounts rather than the standard one's. The OEM hats are too soft to deal properly with the increased spring rate. You'll get a bit of unwanted bounce just from the topmounts.

On the whole and rose jointed upper mount like a camber plate will transmit some NVH through to the cabin. Some of it is good, i.e more steering feel. Some clunking and banging might not be so nice. The clunks tend to happen as the bearing starts to develop a bit of play. High end bearings tend to stay quiet longer. But to be honest, if you're not looking to exceed the OEM camber ability then there's no real need for camber plates. The extra caster you can get from them is definitely a handling plus and being able to toss in a bit of camber beyond stock is a nice option. Its just up to you if you can take the potential noise. If you could handle it on the BC's you'll be able to put up with it on our KWs
Many thanks for the advice Arnie, Im thinking of going for the Noltec top mounts, I was wondering though, is there such a thing as too much caster?