Notices

Time for coilovers?- Have knocking rears struts

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2010, 07:34 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for coilovers?- Have knocking rears struts

The last month has seen an increase in a knocking noise coming from the nearside rear, i'm guessing it the common rear strut problem! Its best described as a knocking/creaking noise at slow speeds.

Now other than replace like for like is it better to just have some nice coil overs fitted and sort the problem once and for all?
As I was thinking about some lowering springs, that now seems a waste if im to replace the whole system.

Finally what coilovers are reccommended?
Car being a Impreza 05 STI.
Old 22 July 2010, 08:05 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

go for BC coilover BR series mate you won't regret it,
Old 22 July 2010, 09:18 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

When you hear this knocking it is most likey to be the shocks isn't it? and not the drop links/bushes etc?
Old 22 July 2010, 09:53 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Really interested too see the reply too this as have same problem with my car. See my thread and see if it relates too your problem....
Old 22 July 2010, 09:58 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

Yes mate will be your shockers a common problem..
Old 22 July 2010, 09:59 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

It is a common problem on new age Impreza's, pretty sure its always the shocks.
Not really worth getting standard ones again for the same problem to happen.....bit of a no brainer, I just dont want a hard bumpy ride from these coilovers.

Can the BC's be made for a ride similar to what I have now firm by fair shall we say lol
Old 22 July 2010, 10:10 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

yes mate you can ad-just then so can have them hard or soft, read my thread below your just had BC's fitted today at scooby world drive's spot on.....
Old 22 July 2010, 10:10 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

its worth checking droplinks, bushes etc first before committing to new suspension.

as stated though its probably your shocks

BC's are an excellent choice for a good price.

don't worry about them being to hard.i do 60miles a day in my sti with bc coilovers and its perfectly comfortable.

oh... and you will be able to corner a lot faster too
Old 22 July 2010, 11:15 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

What is the best way too check the bushes droplinks and arbs? Just to make sure hat I have been doing is adequate?
What too look out for (obviously play, but anything else?)
Thanks
Old 29 July 2010, 12:35 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

I have 55 WRX. I paid Subaru dealer 40 quid to assess my suspension. they confirmed the rear shocks wore worn. I think worth the money as they checked everything else for me. I went in as was hearing slight knocking noise from rear at low speeds.

They then quoted me 1050 to replace just the rear shocks with standard shocks.

So i'm off to SumoPower to get BC coilovers :-) :-) :-)
Old 08 August 2010, 12:09 PM
Petey1985
Scooby Regular

I also have the knocking shock problem on my 05 STi. Not sure what to do about it as I too dont want to replace with the standard item for the problem to occure again at a later date. I dont think i really need coilovers and its seems the BC's suffer from some sort of knocking too?!
Old 08 August 2010, 01:12 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petey1985
I also have the knocking shock problem on my 05 STi. Not sure what to do about it as I too dont want to replace with the standard item for the problem to occure again at a later date. I dont think i really need coilovers and its seems the BC's suffer from some sort of knocking too?!
Yeah I've read some posts saying the same thing about BC knocking, I thought it was a cure fitting coilovers?

I've got to book my car in for a service next week, so I'll ask the guy there what he thinks I should look at.

Last edited by DarrenSTI; 08 August 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08 August 2010, 02:57 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had mine replaced under warranty but as soon as they start again then its bc coilovers for me
Old 08 August 2010, 05:00 PM
Petey1985
Scooby Regular

Whats so good about the BC coilovers?

If the BC's dont last, why dont people look at the Tein, Cusco, Bilstein etc etc....
Old 08 August 2010, 07:39 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had ASTs 3 way adjustables fitted, just over 3k with labor and set up.
they are fantastic,
I have been out in my mates, he has BCs fitted 1k with set up.
they are also fantastic, to be honest I could not tell the differance.

BCs is the way, by far the best value for money.

Bez
Old 13 August 2010, 12:41 PM
carlosWRX
Scooby Regular

I have my BC BR coilovers fitted now. 30 damper settings, very easy to adjust in car. As is the ride height. It has cured the knocking i got from the standard rear struts. Handling is awesome. I am exiting roundabouts faster without even trying as still getting used to the balance. To be honest this is my first coilovers on a car - but have to say they are a bit awesome!
Old 13 August 2010, 02:30 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

i have the knocking from the back on my classic and they are teins,have been quoted by tein £200 each to refurb,bugger
Old 23 August 2010, 11:54 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petey1985
Whats so good about the BC coilovers?

If the BC's dont last, why dont people look at the Tein, Cusco, Bilstein etc etc....
I know of a chap who had Tein's the spring snapped clean in half and Tein didn't wanna know. Also Tein's are a very hard ride.

Bc's here too
Old 23 August 2010, 11:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Camskill sell classic Subaru shocks but if you can find the part number you can get later models cheap new too

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...b909s2611p1186
Old 24 August 2010, 05:06 PM
Plastikman
Scooby Regular

I bought a 02 plate bugeye which had HSD HR's on it there was a groupbuy not to long ago for these. Well theyve been on the car for less than a year and the knocking on the rear and the front is unbearable. I have removed the rear coilover and tried to adjust but no joy. Because all coilover manufacturers bar the Leda rally stuff use Alluminum spring seats and lock rings and Steel threads on the main body, seizing is a major issue if left unlubricated. This is the problem I have, the previous owner has had the suspension setup as low as possible with maximum preload on the spring, im not sure if they new what they were doing as this has worn out one shocker already and now another two. The anoying thing is I could not for the life of me remove or even loosen slightly the platofrms or lock rings, even with the spring removed, using C-spanners, soaking in WD, and hitting the platforms.
I thought the rear shocker was knackered judging by the knocking noise and had a new replacement, but when both were side by side and depressed they both returned at the same rate to the same position. I then knew that the shocker was ok and all that was required was less preload, but because I cant adjust the seized platforms im snookered. So I have bought second hand Std suspension.
The other thing I noticed was that the dampening adjuster valves were also seized as they are located at the bottom of the shock where all the road moisture is. So again it stuck on the hardest setting. I soaked the first one and tried to adjust and it snapped so I had to leave the others. Bare in mind this suspension is less than one year old, so remember to look after it if you deciede to go down the coilover road.
Me personally, I leave coilovers to track cars, for me the whole appeal is adjustment but a road car only needs slightly firmer than std as the roads are ****e and i never really need to adjust the suspension again once fitted.
Old 25 August 2010, 06:48 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Plastikman
the previous owner has had the suspension setup as low as possible with maximum preload on the spring
Lowest road height is minimum preload, highest is maximum, otherwise I get your points!

Simon
Old 25 August 2010, 12:49 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

I have decided to go for the BC's, found that they now come with oem style rear mounts, maybe this is to help with the knocking issues, not sure? And I'll get them with the rear adjuster extenders.

All places seem to have different prices, I'll see what my machanic can do once he's back of his hols.
Old 25 August 2010, 07:39 PM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

Darren have a look at scoobyword mate there's free fitting had mine BC's fitted with extenders there 5 weeks ago now there spot on.....
Old 25 August 2010, 07:42 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

I would if they were closer to me, but its a 6hour round trip, any cost id save on parts would be lost in petrol.

Shame though, because they seem to be really rated highly.
Thanks for the update though
Old 25 August 2010, 08:47 PM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

Mine is knocking as you describe. Going in to local subaru dealer to have it looked at next week. Will post his findings in case it helps out.

S
Old 25 August 2010, 10:08 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
I have decided to go for the BC's, found that they now come with oem style rear mounts, maybe this is to help with the knocking issues, not sure? And I'll get them with the rear adjuster extenders.

All places seem to have different prices, I'll see what my machanic can do once he's back of his hols.
Darren let me know how much you can get them for as im 99% sure mine are gone aswell, So i will def be after a set
Old 27 August 2010, 07:42 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

BC's are so much better than the std subaru KYB rubbish.
I have the camber adjustable top mounts all round, but hey I don't mind the odd noise.

dipster
Old 05 September 2010, 06:32 PM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

Car went into dealers last thursday and the diagnosis - both rear shocks were worn and need replacing.

Cost of said work, c£850, surely covered by warranty said I, one phone call later and dealer agrees.

So back in tomorrow for new shocks to be fitted. I have thought that the car has felt more jiggly over the last couple of weeks, not sure if this is real or imagined. Will be interesting to see if this makes a difference or not.

S
Old 05 September 2010, 08:09 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skeeter
Car went into dealers last thursday and the diagnosis - both rear shocks were worn and need replacing.

Cost of said work, c£850, surely covered by warranty said I, one phone call later and dealer agrees.

So back in tomorrow for new shocks to be fitted. I have thought that the car has felt more jiggly over the last couple of weeks, not sure if this is real or imagined. Will be interesting to see if this makes a difference or not.

S
Unfortunately I have been in the same situation to you, and now 12 moths later I'm there again, the OE shocks are just not up to the cars ability and will knock again very shortly. I have found that a little squirt of WD40 on the piston of the shock will help quiet them down for a few moths.
Old 06 September 2010, 03:29 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AFAIK the BC's now have rubber OEM top mounts on the rear shocks after several people complained about the rear struts being too noisy.
Apparently to Bren @ APEX since they've done this they've only had a single strut returned with a problem.
I'm waiting for the next group buy from them as it's likely to save me around £120 off the standard price. Scoobyworld too far for me too. Would cost me about £150 in fuel!

Quick Reply: Time for coilovers?- Have knocking rears struts