Notices

TEIN SUSPENSION>>>TO FIT OR NOT TO FIT

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2009, 07:31 PM
Simon Baudains
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEIN SUSPENSION>>>TO FIT OR NOT TO FIT

Hi,both back shocks gone on my 2003 blobeye sti....would like to hear opinions on tein suspension from anyone wearing them on there scoobs as i am thinking of fitting a full set to mine....rating out of 10????or maybe an alternative suggestion
Thanks
simon
Old 23 September 2009, 07:37 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Better options available for UK roads IMHO
BC, Exe-TC , AST. depends on your budget.
Old 23 September 2009, 08:27 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I fitted Tein Superstreets and on track they are competent, but B-roads are a bit too exciting for me now !

Sadly !

dunx
Old 24 September 2009, 01:20 AM
Simon Baudains
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Exe-TC roger clark motorsport sell em so they must be pretty good...what you got on that big bhp monster of yours bud
Old 24 September 2009, 01:22 AM
Simon Baudains
Scooby Regular

might have a stab in the dark lookin at your decals
Old 24 September 2009, 10:10 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teins are a little hard which is why i choose Exe-tc and dont regret the extra ££££££££££'s they cost
Old 24 September 2009, 11:01 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Our survey said X X

I've got some horrible Tein Type HR on at the moment. They will be changed for some Exe TC at some point. Need to get the rest of the car finished first

The EXE-TC stuff seems the be head and shoulders above the rest. Great on the road and nice and compliant but get them on a track and they really do shine apparently.

I have no first hand experience of them yet but everyone I talk to that has them say they are trully superb!!

Last edited by dazdavies; 24 September 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 24 September 2009, 02:36 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

Guys, just noticed this thread, we've recently just discounted a LOT of our coilovers inc Tein, KW, Bilstein, Cusco etc..

AND i'd discount even further than the quoted discount rates for Scoobynet members!!

Have a look at what we offer:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/s...4208_4210.html

cheers
Old 24 September 2009, 09:57 PM
Simon Baudains
Scooby Regular

Our survey said X X

I've got some horrible Tein Type HR on at the moment. They will be changed for some Exe TC at some point. Need to get the rest of the car finished first

The EXE-TC stuff seems the be head and shoulders above the rest. Great on the road and nice and compliant but get them on a track and they really do shine apparently.

I have no first hand experience of them yet but everyone I talk to that has them say they are trully superb!!
EXE-TC are the only suspension the roger clark boys sell....so they must be the best....decision made!! thanks for your input much appreciated.
And that car of yours looks awesome!!
cheers
simon
Old 24 September 2009, 10:00 PM
Simon Baudains
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
teins are a little hard which is why i choose Exe-tc and dont regret the extra ££££££££££'s they cost
tried and tested=knowledgable knowledge.
which set you got £1500 entry or you fully loaded with one of them bad *** wallet busters
cheers
simon
Old 24 September 2009, 10:11 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You'll be absolutely fine with the Entry level ones they are very very capable on road and track. The other model is for pure hardcore racers and will be way too much for the road.
Old 26 September 2009, 06:20 AM
snowman4us
Scooby Newbie

Tein Basics...Perfect for anyone who wants a great street car that they drive 99% of the time on the streets
Tein SuperStreet. Great of mostly street use, with several track days a year
Tein Flex. You start giving up comfort for performance
Mono-Flex. Now your talking, same features as most other companies high end coilover for less cost. These bad boys will get you to the top of the podium, now all u need to do is drive
SuperRacings. Do you need any more info other then the name? Race coilovers that give you more adjustability then you will know how to use.

I have Basics on one of my cars now, had Mono-Flex on a built 2006 WRX with 550BHP. And they where amazing on the track . And have driven several Evo's and STi's that had Super-Racings, and unless you are building a track car look at the mono-flex. Flex are a great balance between a car that is driven on the street and sees allot of track use.
Old 26 September 2009, 12:31 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming you're Stateside?

The roads over here are sh*t. The Tein stuff is just too hard for UK roads.
Old 27 September 2009, 12:49 AM
Simon Baudains
Scooby Regular

I wish i was stateside man...jersey c.i a little island in between you in the uk and the garlic chompers in france(bonjour) roads here are tiny little bumpy things with mostly granite on each side home of legends such as bergaracthe ****!

anyway had a chat with a few people on the dog and bone over the weekend and think i'm gonna chuck some BC Racing struts on the back to tide me over untill i can get the ££'s together to shod my baby in 4 well deserved new...Still un-decideds near every one i have spoken too says i should stear clear of the teins as there is better out there for the ££'s...cant believe the prices of the **** sti struts...this is my 3rd set that have died...can get all 4 corners in most stuff.. for the price of 2 back sti struts and top mounts £308 per strut + £86 for top mounts sheer robbery!!!...decisions decisions
Old 27 September 2009, 12:56 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Exe-TC !!
Old 27 September 2009, 01:11 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simon Baudains
tried and tested=knowledgable knowledge.
which set you got £1500 entry or you fully loaded with one of them bad *** wallet busters
cheers
simon

They cost around £1800 including VAT and are a fast road set up.The springs were custom for our roads and set up by an ex-prodrive mechanic at Bishop motorsport.(40 different damper settings)
Old 29 September 2009, 08:53 AM
New_scooby_04

This is a bit of an SN myth Daz. I have the superstreet set up on my car with EDFC (which all adjustable coil overs should be sold with - simplicity itself). For a classic, the Tein springs are at the 4/3 front/rear KGmm force rate; the same as the ASTs for example. I think many people's experience comes from acquiring cars with much more focused set ups like the Flex system which has MUCH higher spring rates!

Any coilover system will be harder than the std springs and shocks, but the Teins can be set up to be ok for crap roads. I live in london -everyone knows what thats like- and my other half in Berkshire where they seem to have given up on decent road surfaces! The Teins are firm no doubt; I certainly wouldn't want to go firmer for a road car, but they do offer really great control.

I'd love to have a go of a car with EXE-TCs (I've heard so much good stuff about them) But something tells me that some people expect the best of both worlds and if there is one thing that having adjustable suspension has taught me its that the comfort/control equation is always a compromise.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 29 September 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 29 September 2009, 09:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

But Teins are too stiffly damped for UK roads, mine is fine on track or A-roads, but B-roads are a challenge, not the pleasure they used to be. Even my tired STI set-up was far more enjoyable overall.

Sadly I will bite the bullet and start an EXE-TC savings scheme in January.

dunx
Old 29 September 2009, 09:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
This is a bit of an SN myth Daz. I have the superstreet set up on my car with EDFC (which all adjustable coil overs should be sold with - simplicity itself). For a classic, the Tein springs are at the 4/3 front/rear KGmm force rate; the same as the ASTs for example. I think many people's experience comes from acquiring cars with much more focused set ups like the Flex system which has MUCH higher spring rates!

Any coilover system will be harder than the std springs and shocks, but the Teins can be set up to be ok for crap roads. I live in london -everyone knows what thats like- and my other half in Berkshire where they seem to have given up on decent road surfaces! The Teins are firm no doubt; I certainly wouldn't want to go firmer for a road car, but they do offer really great control.

I'd love to have a go of a car with EXE-TCs (I've heard so much good stuff about them) But something tells me that some people expect the best of both worlds and if there is one thing that having adjustable suspension has taught me its that the comfort/control equation is always a compromise.

Ns04

Interesting stuff I've inherited some Tein HR Coilovers (I think they are as basic as you get) so I am looking forward to see what they are like.
Judging by the way the car bounced off the trailer with a firm thud I think they are going to be pretty hard
Old 29 September 2009, 11:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Interesting stuff I've inherited some Tein HR Coilovers (I think they are as basic as you get) so I am looking forward to see what they are like.
Judging by the way the car bounced off the trailer with a firm thud I think they are going to be pretty hard
LOL No idea about the HRs; some of the tein range go up to very high spring rates though, sufficient to dislodge your fillings. On a classic, no higher than 4/3 is required on the spring rates.

Dunx, maybe if you find the damping too harsh it's worth looking into getting them revalved mate. MUCH cheaper than buying new suspension. Tein will probably do it for you; they have a UK centre.

Ns04
Old 30 September 2009, 12:18 AM
linky
Scooby Regular

I have a set of type flex's with EDFC on my 04 sti and they are terrible on the road unless the road is flat.

I live on a small island and the roads a very bumpy and even on the softest setting (16 bump settings) you are bounced all over the place to the point where the cars wheels leave the road. There is no rebound adjustment on them and increasing the bump setting just makes things worse. Its so bad that once the speed gets up on 'private roads' that are bumpy you can hardly talk.

I use the car on track alot also and find they are fine for this but would advise against anyone that uses there car on the road to buy Tein flex's. I'm noit sure about the other sets that Tein do.

I too ,after advice from others, will be purchasing a set of exe-tc's
Old 30 September 2009, 09:40 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by linky
I have a set of type flex's with EDFC on my 04 sti and they are terrible on the road unless the road is flat.

I live on a small island and the roads a very bumpy and even on the softest setting (16 bump settings) you are bounced all over the place to the point where the cars wheels leave the road. There is no rebound adjustment on them and increasing the bump setting just makes things worse. Its so bad that once the speed gets up on 'private roads' that are bumpy you can hardly talk.

I use the car on track alot also and find they are fine for this but would advise against anyone that uses there car on the road to buy Tein flex's. I'm noit sure about the other sets that Tein do.

I too ,after advice from others, will be purchasing a set of exe-tc's
But again, Tein Flex are meant for serious track work IIRC the spring rates are 6/5 too much for road use IMHO. People tend to tar all teins with the same brush.

Anyone know what the sping rates of Exe-tcs are?
Old 01 October 2009, 07:21 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have Tein Super Streets on my 04 STI and they are quite hard, a little too hard sometimes, they dont seem to have much rebound when you hit a bump/raised bit in the road.
Old 02 October 2009, 07:47 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Spring rates are not the issue here, its all about the valving.
I have BC's with 6/4 springs and the ride is great, some in the US run 8/6 with no issues.

Eibach do some very nice (and expensive) road coilovers for the 03sti and they also run 6/4 springs as std and the ride is great, good valving with long travel is the key here.

dipster

Last edited by davedipster; 02 October 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03 October 2009, 02:57 AM
ronin_hungary
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Spring rates are not the issue here, its all about the valving.
I think both are important. IMHO you always have to have a harmonic package. Althought, I do agree that spring rates are far less of an issue as people mostly believe.

I have BC's with 6/4 springs and the ride is great, some in the US run 8/6 with no issues.
US and UK (or Europe in General) are so different as far as roads, it is almost not the same planet. Do not forget that people in the USA will never drive 100 MPH for an extended period of time. In Europe, well... eh... so people do. US people also use 2.0 bar boost, because of the same enforced speed limit issues.

Eibach do some very nice (and expensive) road coilovers for the 03sti and they also run 6/4 springs as std and the ride is great, good valving with long travel is the key here.

dipster
I agree with you in regards of the long travel!
The biggest problem with Japanese coilovers are lying beneath the very reason that they are short travel shocks/coilovers.

Personally, I am convinced now that I might go for the Exe-TC (so many great things heard... ) or might buy a Gravel spec JDM Kayaba, we'll see...

Bilstein PSS series work great. (Tried, tested on very very very I mean very ****ty roads... )

As for Tein, the HG (Yes, the gravel one) works great on crappy roads like we have here. Funny, that Japanese most likely have same quality gravel roads as we have tarmac. (Tried, tested)

Tein MonoFlex, is shiny and all, but it did not have my pants pulled off, so I would pass on that. (Tried, tested)

As for AST, here we have a couple rally teams joined forces. One of them re-valves all suspension units mechanically (based on weight, car use etc.), the other team adjusts/dials them, when in the car.

Cheers,

R.