Notices

Advice on hawk-eye WRX rear shockers....

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2009, 01:40 PM
TOO LOUD hawk-eye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on hawk-eye WRX rear shockers....

Hi all - can anyone please advise.....I'm getting a clonking / shifting feel from the rear of my (56-plate) 2006 WRX wagon at slow parking speeds, and when crawling through traffic. It doesnt happen all the time, but feels as though it's becoming more frequent. The car has 37k, full history and passed it's first MOT on Sat with no advisories. I've read loads of info about this last model wrx uses early STI shockers (?), that the're prone to failure, and that maybe they could have replaceable inserts or be repacked or filled ?????
Any advice please as insurance and TAX (way-overpriced!) are due, and the coffers are empty!! Cheers.
Old 17 September 2009, 11:09 PM
merlin2002
Scooby Regular

Ive got this problem on the front, if you have access to a jack, jack up each side of the car lift dust cover up of the shock to expose the damper piston, and using one had try to rock the strut, if you feel play then its defo the shock, which is a common problem, they can be removed and packed out with grease however this is not a actual solution to the problem and it will only put off the inevitable need of replacments of the rear shocks!

If you are out of warrenty and they have failed I would advise not getting oem shocks, and replace the rears with another make or its a good excuse for a set of coilovers!

Regards
Rob
Old 18 September 2009, 07:33 AM
TOO LOUD hawk-eye
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Rob, will test them this weekend. If they are at fault, I may re-pack them and then start saving!

marcus
Old 18 September 2009, 02:55 PM
burgesi
Scooby Newbie

I have the same problem on my rear shocks for MY05 Litchfield Impreza Wagon. There is a 'clunk' at low speeds. Only 14k miles.

Took down to the local dealer who said it was one of the shocks and this was a common fault.

They quoted c. £925 for the pair fitted !! Looking at alternatives - possibly KYB's as they seem to be quoted as the supplier to Subaru by some threads.

Ian
Old 21 September 2009, 03:17 PM
TOO LOUD hawk-eye
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply - that amount is outragous! - Does anyone return to the dealership after the warrenty has run out??!
Will do the 'wobble' test as suggested at earliest convienience!

Marcus
Old 22 September 2009, 12:21 PM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

I've just picked up an MY05 sti uk spec (well irish actually, also my first scoob!) and it only has 19,500 miles on it, but I have the same problem.

Is this noise coming from the bush at the top or bottom of the shock where it mounts to the car/suspension arm or is it coming from the dry rubber seal that is inside the shock body and rubs off the chrome "inner tube" of the shock?

How urgent is it to get this done? Car still feels fine on the road and only makes noise when moving slowly over un-even ground.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 22 September 2009, 05:40 PM
merlin2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoobie
I've just picked up an MY05 sti uk spec (well irish actually, also my first scoob!) and it only has 19,500 miles on it, but I have the same problem.

Is this noise coming from the bush at the top or bottom of the shock where it mounts to the car/suspension arm or is it coming from the dry rubber seal that is inside the shock body and rubs off the chrome "inner tube" of the shock?

How urgent is it to get this done? Car still feels fine on the road and only makes noise when moving slowly over un-even ground.

Cheers,
Rob
most likely the inner ube of the shock, the noise will get louder and louder, so basicly upgrade/replace when funds permit

Rob
Old 22 September 2009, 05:42 PM
RS74
Scooby Regular

i've got 06 hawk eye and went through two sets of rear shocks they sieze up and then give ,thats the noise your hearing for defo. basically they r kack i put B.C coil overs on mine and to be honest best thing i ever did , totally transforms the car
Old 22 September 2009, 10:48 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never had this problem on my hawk although its a very common fault but changed all my suspension to Exe-tc anyway best mod ive done.
Old 23 September 2009, 09:08 AM
TOO LOUD hawk-eye
Scooby Newbie

Tried the piston 'wobble' check last night, but could not feel any give (had to reach through spring though, so not conclusive. I did spray the piston with lubricant though and noise has gone away!! - Dead chuffed as car instantly feels so much smoother. I admit this must be a tempory mod, but it now buys me a bit of time to choose (and save up for) an upgrade.

Cheers all.
Old 23 September 2009, 09:12 AM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TOO LOUD hawk-eye
Tried the piston 'wobble' check last night, but could not feel any give (had to reach through spring though, so not conclusive. I did spray the piston with lubricant though and noise has gone away!! - Dead chuffed as car instantly feels so much smoother. I admit this must be a tempory mod, but it now buys me a bit of time to choose (and save up for) an upgrade.

Cheers all.
Glad to hear it, will give mine a go this weekend.

Subaru garage (will remain unnamed) said to me you can drill the shock body, tap it, fit grease nipple and pump a bit of grease in.......
Sounds ok, but are the shocks not presurized with gas??