Notices

Wagon or Saloon Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2019, 07:35 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Wagon or Saloon Struts?

I know it's probably been answered a hundred times but I'm getting so many results with no relevance when I search for this. I've got a Hawk wagon that I'm replacing the suspension on as it's getting a bit tired. If I'm running saloon front control arms, do I go with saloon or wagon struts? My instinct says saloon struts since I'll have a wider track using saloon control arms but I want a second, or third, opinion.
Old 22 February 2019, 09:24 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Newage wrx or sti alloy arms? MOST sti arms will increase caster as well.

Longer saloon drive shafts.

Longer saloon roll bar.

Change to aluminium arm drop links.

Wagon struts would further increase camber. Or, use whiteline kca335 offset top mounts (the Pedders version might be cheaper?) with the saloon struts - the offset mount can be fitted in the max caster/min camber position, or max caster/max camber position.
Depending on wheels and tyres, you might need more camber, for tyre clearance, as the wagon wings don't have the saloon clearance bulge. Unless you roll the wagon arches.

You could use classic aluminium arms (retain wagon driveshafts and roll bar), if you change the classic front lca bush to the newage front lca bush. But, 8" et53 wheels, depending on tyre, will rub the inside edge of the tyre, on full lock. Might need a 3mm spacer.
Old 22 February 2019, 09:54 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Newage WRX alloy arms. Classic arms were out of the question as the Hawk needs the stupid headlight level sensor mount which the classic arms don't have. Tyre/wheel clearance shouldn't be a problem - 205 on a 6.5" et55 wheel with some 3mm spacers. Really I'm just trying to figure out wether to go with saloon or wagon struts. Not aiming for lots of negative camber so not sure if the wagon struts would allow enough adjustment. If they will allow enough adjustment they are probably the better option so everything will work nicely should I put the original steel control arms back on for any reason.
Old 22 February 2019, 10:10 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20090FE00...MzWR:rk:1:pf:0