Notices

geometry

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2019, 04:34 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default geometry

Hi all. Hope your all good. I was wondering what everyone is running in terms of fast road geo. What setting are you guys using?

I have kw coilovers, white line goodies, anti lift kit etc. Just looking for a good fast road setup. But having browsed the forum. Theres so many variation in settings. Wondered what everyone was using.

Thanks
H
Old 12 February 2019, 05:10 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't over-sweat the geo. You'll see differing opinions, it's actually very simple. The Impreza has a forgiving chassis, but there are a few essentials to ensure:

Firstly, a proper 4 wheel, preferably laser (Hunter style system) set-up will transform a poorly aligned car. And while this sounds obvious, it amazes me how many folk will for example fit different shocks/coils/lowering springs etc and then run 'round on these without any alignment, saying they'll get it done later (this is most certainly directed at you btw)

Negative camber all-round - Varying amounts, more front or rear work OK (obviously balanced) - I've ran it both ways on classics and new age and both work (to a degree, generally more front than rear)

Toe. This is where I would always say either IN, or neutral if you really want. IN (4 to 8 mins a corner) gets the car turning and rotating well at any speed above pedestrian. Below it may feel twitchy, but once flowing, having each corner at a slight advantage to turning makes for nice responsive drive

Alignment is inextricably linked to not only good handling, but also to your style of driving

I would recommend becoming friendly with an alignment garage with a good set-up - a Hunter - dialling in a base setting, trying it, seeing if you want to change a characteristic and changing the settings. Your garage should not charge much for tweaking, once a base is set. It's this experience which helps to understand what the different settings make to your car with its set-up, and to you, with your driving style

I have used Chemix, Wordsley for 20 years now for all my Scooby's. Their Hunter database has all manner of Impreza settings, but most consist of neg camber and a little toe-in. Everything else is a variant on the theme

Plenty of threads around. Here's one to get you started - it's a bit OTT really, but has the Peter Cambridge stuff in

https://www.scoobynet.com/918196-geo...ettings-2.html
Old 13 February 2019, 10:13 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you for the response. Will certainly look into it. Thanks
Old 25 February 2019, 08:35 PM
Staurossim
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with bonesetter!But get your negative camber via camber bolts and not from your camber plates because you will increase your SAI.Best is to set your aftermarket camber bolt to full and then adjust the amount of camber you prefer from the oem upper camber bolt.And some toe in on rear to cure the dynamic toe out when the suspension compresses on gd's.
Old 25 February 2019, 08:52 PM
Bryan Gallacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts