Old 31 July 2018, 01:08 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePredator
https://www.scoobynet.com/1001375-th...ears-on-5.html
post 140, if it is mainly road car b14's than instead kw v3
for road and track looks like best coilovers are maisterR gt1's with life warranty and custom build
similart to ohlins DFV
Those are the v3 clubsport, stiffer than the v3.

Old 31 July 2018, 01:13 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

If I could source such a thing would the suspension off a RB320 be suitable for my needs ?
Old 31 July 2018, 04:23 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Y
If I could source such a thing would the suspension off a RB320 be suitable for my needs ?
I've got the prodrive Bilsteins from the rb320 on my spec c and they are amazing. I've coupled them with an adjustable rb320 rear ARB and prodrive geo settings. Bit stiffer than standard STI setup at low speed but when pushing on they glide over bumps and undulations. Very little roll. They are dampened perfectly for UK roads. They sit with some rake (front lower than back) to help front end bite. Cannot recommend them enough. Good luck finding a set though they are very rare, best bet is to keep an eye out for rb320s being broken

Gonna get mine rebuilt later in the year and install group n top mounts, I have a brand new set of rb320 springs curtousy of Peter Cambridge waiting in the garage

There's a brilliant thread I'll try and dig out for you dave which goes through different suspension options...

Last edited by NotFromSomerset; 31 July 2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 31 July 2018, 04:51 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...-uk-roads.html

Very good thread, can scramble your brain a bit but some great info. Helped me make my mind up and go for rb320 setup.

You have some good options being a blobeye. KYB SR gold struts are excellent and can be mated with different spring options. If you want something with slightly harder dampening there is also the AX adjustables which have 4 settings, I had these on my old blobeye with UK springs and found them very good, can crank them up for track use, might be a good option for you?

Last edited by NotFromSomerset; 31 July 2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 31 July 2018, 05:08 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Y
The rb320 rear struts would fit, but the fronts only fit the '05-'07 widetrack 114.3mm hub, with the larger front wheel bearings. The mounting centres are 10mm further apart and 10mm further outboard than the 100 pcd front hub.
The rears are inverted monotubes, so will start knocking, at some point.

I'm sure Bilstein would re-make something, non-inverted montube/twintube, but they are going to want to build a minimum of 50 sets.
Or other fixed perch options:
KYB Ultra SR STI inverted (saloon) front struts won't fit widetrack
KYB Ultra SR non-inverted (available for wagon and saloon) front struts won't fit widetrack
KYB agx 4-way adjustable non-inverted (saloon) front struts won't fit widetrack
Koni non-inverted adjustable inserts
Feal fixed perch non-inverted adjustable struts (slotted for use with wagon and saloon. Also available for widetrack)
Tokico (Hitachi) DSP-10 16-way non-inverted adjustable (saloon) fronts won't fit widetrack

Last edited by 2pot; 31 July 2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 31 July 2018, 07:04 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

So many to choose from.
Old 01 August 2018, 05:10 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
The rb320 rear struts would fit, but the fronts only fit the '05-'07 widetrack 114.3mm hub, with the larger front wheel bearings. The mounting centres are 10mm further apart and 10mm further outboard than the 100 pcd front hub.
The rears are inverted monotubes, so will start knocking, at some point.
i have seen people modify to fit or you can just swap Hibs. Knocking was probably a bigger issue on the Bilsteins than the standard red STI struts, there is a 3rd bearing rework which I'm planning to have done when I rebuild mine that fix the issue
Old 25 February 2021, 12:37 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
What's the best coilover you've ran 2pot?

All the theory in the chassis internet world is fine but real world experience counts too

Best I ran was a set of Eibach Superstreet's on a 370bhp blob for 2 years and they were superb. I hooned them all over the best (and certainly not so good) UK roads, and on track.

They performed very close to OE dampers and springs, being just a little more firm at slower speeds, but wonderfully compliant at higher ones, with plenty of travel, never crashing, no bounce

(Hope you haven't totally given up OP)
I know I'm 2.5 years late to the party but people come back to these threads for reference so think there's still value in adding my experience. In 2015 I bought the exact Blob referenced above fitted with Eibach Superstreets - it had only done a couple of thousand miles since Bonesetter sold it and the spec has not changed. I found the suspension far too unforgiving for the road. It was replaced with a set of KYB AGX and Prodrive S05 springs and revised bump stops and the 22/24 Whiteline ARBs were binned in favour of OEM 19/20 items. The difference was night and day better for my tastes. Conversely the next owner to whom I sold the car tracked it and complained it was was far too wallowy.

I am not posting this as a dig at Bonesetter, whose informative posts I've enjoyed reading for many years. Rather, this just illustrates how much subjectivity exists when it comes to suspension setups. I value compliance on the road above everything else and am ok with some body roll in the corners. Others enjoy the feel of flat cornering and are able to tolerate a stiffer setup that would have me bouncing out of my seat and backing off.

When making decisions about suspension you first have to decide your mix of road vs track usage, consider the quality of the roads you'll be driving on, then know your own preferences.

Last edited by plenty; 25 February 2021 at 12:39 PM.