Notices

BC Coilover Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2018, 07:02 PM
Doc T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Coilover Noob Question

So, I have a new (to me) 06 STi with BC adjustable coil-overs. I have the in-car alien appendages for tweaking dampening rate/rebound.

How many clicks in total are there form soft to hard?

And...what settings would you recommend?

Is it as easy as click all way to soft - click in new setting - go for test drive?

Thanks!

Doc T
Old 18 June 2018, 12:48 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

HI. It depends firstly on what model you have. Looking under the car, do you have any external gas cylinder? Again, inside the engine bay, is there just the simple strut top and a small black adjuster ****?

If so, you have the BR series strut. This has a combined Rebound/compression adjuster. Really its just a tapered bypass through the damper rod, so you are not altering the valving at all, just the bypass.

The effect is you are altering the rebound bounce and very little change to the compression. You should have 30 clicks and should set the units by winding in clockwise until it stops then winding out. Try 15 clicks out first as this is the default starting setting.

Signs they are worn out are sucking sounds, and a bouncy ride even when you are only 5 clicks out.

I now have higher spec BCs with external full adjustment and they are super plush and controlled in comparison. You really get what you pay for with BC!
Old 18 June 2018, 05:55 PM
Doc T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
HI. It depends firstly on what model you have. Looking under the car, do you have any external gas cylinder? Again, inside the engine bay, is there just the simple strut top and a small black adjuster ****?

If so, you have the BR series strut. This has a combined Rebound/compression adjuster. Really its just a tapered bypass through the damper rod, so you are not altering the valving at all, just the bypass.

The effect is you are altering the rebound bounce and very little change to the compression. You should have 30 clicks and should set the units by winding in clockwise until it stops then winding out. Try 15 clicks out first as this is the default starting setting.

Signs they are worn out are sucking sounds, and a bouncy ride even when you are only 5 clicks out.

I now have higher spec BCs with external full adjustment and they are super plush and controlled in comparison. You really get what you pay for with BC!
Hey buddy - thanks for replying. I hate to be the noob, but this is my first performance car, and I want to get my tweaks right.

I think I just have the standard BC set-up: black twisty **** on top of my suspension/shocks.

Anyway - I have set phasers to 15. All seems quite good.

Thanks again!