Notices

Trouble fitting coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2018, 11:15 AM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble fitting coilovers.

Hi, cars in a classic uk 2000 wagon. I put my car into a garage to have alloy arms and coilovers fitted. They quoted 6hours work. I was fine with that.

Took the car in on Tuesday where they started the job and had a call about 2hours in one of the coilovers the locking thing won't undo. Ok so had to get contact the supplier who said they will order another set and I can swap over the faulty leg. Wednesday the leg gets swapped over but the garage have to wait for the ramp to become free again to fit.
Wednesday about half 3 get another call. We can't get the suspension to sit level. We've worked on the car 6hours now. The suspension is rubbish.
After the garage speak directly to the supplier they say the newage wheels are the problem and that I would need spacers.
But would spacers cause them not to be able to get the car to sit flush? I've been quoted £950 for new bcs to be fitted on top of the £450 for the work carried out. I am thinking the at garage are trying it on now.
I plan on picking up the car either trailer or low loader on Monday and fixing it myself.

suspension is Apex.

anyone else have issues fitting coilovers or am I being taken for a mug?
Old 03 February 2018, 12:34 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Why have you changed to coilovers?
I thought you fitted inverted struts?
Old 03 February 2018, 12:49 PM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
Why have you changed to coilovers?
I thought you fitted inverted struts?
I did but the original suspension was weak and had play. Got an mot coming soon so decided to change it.
Old 03 February 2018, 05:19 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

Hi nice wagon , I fitted my coilovers in 5 hours on the drive with tea breaks , I then swapped them in favour of some kyb agx and 2pots wr15r/t springs with matching bump stops.. ride height is just where I wanted it

Old 03 February 2018, 05:47 PM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by supshon
Hi nice wagon , I fitted my coilovers in 5 hours on the drive with tea breaks , I then swapped them in favour of some kyb agx and 2pots wr15r/t springs with matching bump stops.. ride height is just where I wanted it

cheers. Yeah so when fitting the coilovers you didn' have to run Spacers? To avoid the wheels hitting the coilovers.

Yours is nice mate looks a really nice ride height too.
Old 04 February 2018, 06:38 AM
asht88
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omg 450!!!!!

Mate honestly I’m no mechanic but fitting coilovers is one of the easiest things to do

Also I see what you mean my coilovers was super close to my 9inch wheels but it worked just fine. What size wheels you got?
Old 04 February 2018, 09:37 AM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by asht88
Omg 450!!!!!

Mate honestly I’m no mechanic but fitting coilovers is one of the easiest things to do

Also I see what you mean my coilovers was super close to my 9inch wheels but it worked just fine. What size wheels you got?
I know right it took me a couple of hours swapping the old suspension for new on the girlfriends bugeye.
only reason I let them do it was to get the tracking done after and the fitting of the lower arms.
I'm currently running newage 17s. So are 7.5j
I've organised getting the car picked up Monday morning and going to hopefully resolve the issue myself
Old 11 February 2018, 10:27 AM
Harris classic
Scooby Regular

Ok so managed to fix the problem this week. As the apex coilovers were not ment for a classic that's were the problem was. Managed to get a upgrade on the suspension to a XYZ set. Which I managed to fit in around 45 mins plus an extra 2 hours setting up ride height. Had the tracking done on Friday. And she's almost good to go. Just need to roll the passenger side arch as it's lip is to rubbing the wheel when cornering. Looks like it's been replaced. Now to try and fix the dash board lights which seem to have gone out on me.