Notices

Classic rear control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2018, 09:20 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic rear control arms

I have just fitted a new set of shocks and lowering springs, top mounts etc however when we came to do the geometry the toe link bolts won't budge and the bushes are worn on both arms.

My plan was to remove both control arms, rebush them and refit with new bolts however they have seen better days. Looking online there are kits from whiteline that make both arms adjustable, are these worth fitting for a fast road setup? or are they overkill and will end up seizing due to the exposed threads? The red STI control arm kit is fixed but £700

So my options are:

1. Buy OEM fixed front and rear arms and new bolt kit inc toe adjust and long hub bolts £400
2. Whiteline adjustable front and rear arms and new bolt kit is £390
3. Buy OEM fixed front arm and hard race adjustable rear arms with bolt kit £380

If I went down the Whiteline route do I need to buy the toe bolt lock kit or can I use the standard toe adjustable bolt setup aswell?
If anyone has any recommendations for other brands or options fire away, though I don't want eBay specials.

Last edited by topshot; 09 January 2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09 January 2018, 10:43 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Non-adjustable.
This?:
https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/chea...s/hr-6159.html

or less the trailing arms, this?:
https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/chea...hr-6159-a.html
Old 10 January 2018, 09:09 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we carry various HardRace parts in stock and better pricing than those links.........
0191-4103770

also Whiteline, SuperPro, etc. as required

the cheapest option in terms of parts wopuld be to simply buy a bush kit and then get the arms removed and bolts replaced albeit this may cost more labour depending on how easily they are removed
Old 10 January 2018, 05:10 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

These would be ideal, is the hardrace kit decent quality? Only thing that puts me off is their drop links look crap I currently have alloy whiteline C shape ones which i would need to change for these ones

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/chea...hr-6159-a.html

ASperformance, I will give you a call once I have decided what to buy
Old 10 January 2018, 05:49 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

See if you can get £54 knocked off, if you don't want the rear drop link kit . The Whiteline c-shaped rear drop links are fine.

The rear STI kit uses a non-adjustable version of those drop links - the same non-adjustable drop link is used on the front, when fitted with aluminium arms.

The adjustable rear drop links allows you to set the arms, of the rear bar, horizontal to the ground.

Last edited by 2pot; 10 January 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10 January 2018, 08:31 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Can you fit the C shape drop links to the Hard race/STI rear arm? As the OE and whiteline arms have a fixed mounting welded to the bottom of the bar, whereas the hard race/sti arms use the box shape mounting at the hub end?

What benefit is there to adjusting how the bar sits?

Old 10 January 2018, 09:45 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by topshot
Can you fit the C shape drop links to the Hard race/STI rear arm? What benefit is there to adjusting how the bar sits?

No.

There's no guarantee your bar has been made symmetrical.
The bar should, on a road car, be installed with no preload - forcing the bar up/down to align the drop link mounting holes.
Any preload will cause the car will react differently on left or right hand bends. This asymmetry, will also be transmitted to the diagonally opposite front tyre.